The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

That would be awesome!  Definitely stoked he slipped, and we took anther defenseman back to back.   I've read a lot on him Button has him as a 5/6 defenseman, THN had him 21 and second pairing as his ceiling.  Either way it looks like he should make it, he's built like Horvat and likes smashing guys which will add another element to our defense.  

19 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

You misunderstood my post. 

I don't expect anyone on CDC, including myself, to be accurate in these types of things. We're just doing this passively with little information compared to the professionals. If someone had a list that looked exactly like the way it shook out on Friday, props to them (it wasn't me).

What I'm talking about is the way people instantly change their opinions after seeing where players go. It took some people 1 day to come around on Hughes and all of a sudden see his talent level after campaigning for Bouchard/Dobson/whoever for 2 months prior. I'm probably taking it a little bit more personally than I should because I was a very vocal supporter Hughes all year and now there are so many people jumping on the wagon after 1 weekend. I'm not saying you shouldn't support the Canucks' pick, but some consistency would be nice. 

Good on you for getting the guy you wanted, it must feel great.  What I don't like is how people are doing  exactly what you said (someone should go back and find posts that contradict whar is being said now, but regular visitors get it) and then those like me are getting slammed for accurately stating he was ranked lower than Bouchard and Dobson on most lists.  All of a sudden he was supposed to go second or something and Benning is giddy with glee because he slipped to us or something.  Our local paper had him going to the Oilers and us picking Boqvist (eww).   Not much happened according to the script draft day in the top ten, Zadina going sixth was an eye opener.  ARI wtf?  But thats ok, we got a great prospect regardless, but it doesn't all of sudden make everyone else a bust that can't skate just because we have one of if not the fastest guy in the draft either,  thanks for your honesty. 

What I'm talking about is the way people instantly change their opinions after seeing where players go. It took some people 1 day to come around on Hughes and all of a sudden see his talent level after campaigning for Bouchard/Dobson/whoever for 2 months prior. I'm probably taking it a little bit more personally than I should because I was a very vocal supporter Hughes all year and now there are so many people jumping on the wagon after 1 weekend. I'm not saying you shouldn't support the Canucks' pick, but some consistency would be nice. 

Welcome to CDC.  

I’ve talked about this in the past, not just about prospects but actually comparing current players in the NHL.  The problem is, many people here are just fans of the Canucks, this limits them to only appreciating players wearing the blue and green.  This allows extreme bias to take place and people almost feel wrong by simply admitting a player on another team talented,  Especially when that player is thought to be being compared one of the Canucks players.

Whereas others are fans of the sport, that also happen to cheer for the Canucks as their favorite team.  When you have appreciation for the sport, you can acknowledge talent outside of the organization without a guilty conscience.  The problem is public acknowledgment also often gets you labelled as a troll or anti fan or hater

But to be fair, every fan base is full of “team first” cheerleaders.  Most of them would have little to do with hockey had they not grown up in a NHL city, so it’s hard for them to find appreciation for the sport outside of that cities limits

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good on you for getting the guy you wanted, it must feel great.  What I don't like is how people are doing  exactly what you said (someone should go back and find posts that contradict whar is being said now, but regular visitors get it) and then those like me are getting slammed for accurately stating he was ranked lower than Bouchard and Dobson on most lists.  All of a sudden he was supposed to go second or something and Benning is giddy with glee because he slipped to us or something.  Our local paper had him going to the Oilers and us picking Boqvist (eww).   Not much happened according to the script draft day in the top ten, Zadina going sixth was an eye opener.  ARI wtf?  But thats ok, we got a great prospect regardless, but it doesn't all of sudden make everyone else a bust that can't skate just because we have one of if not the fastest guy in the draft either,  thanks for your honesty. 

This is the first draft I've followed where the Canucks picked my guy; I was high on Keller/Sergachev and 2016 and Vilardi in 2017. I could not contain my excitement when this pick was announced. I remember throwing something as soon as Benning said the word "University" :lol:

Digging up old posts would probably be going too far. To be fair, Hughes was the #1 choice on the CDC poll, so there were a lot of people who wanted him.  

52 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Welcome to CDC.  

I’ve talked about this in the past, not just about prospects but actually comparing current players in the NHL.  The problem is, many people here are just fans of the Canucks, this limits them to only appreciating players wearing the blue and green.  This allows extreme bias to take place and people almost feel wrong by simply admitting a player on another team talented,  Especially when that player is thought to be being compared one of the Canucks players.

Whereas others are fans of the sport, that also happen to cheer for the Canucks as their favorite team.  When you have appreciation for the sport, you can acknowledge talent outside of the organization without a guilty conscience.  The problem is public acknowledgment also often gets you labelled as a troll or anti fan or hater

But to be fair, every fan base is full of “team first” cheerleaders.  Most of them would have little to do with hockey had they not grown up in a NHL city, so it’s hard for them to find appreciation for the sport outside of that cities limits

Well said.  

We're on a Canucks website, so some favoritism is expected. I don't mind simply focusing on how everything impacts the Canucks because that's all most people are here for. However, the way it can instantly change so many people's stances on a debate to the point where they follow it blindly and without question is absurd. There are probably still people who would say it was beneficial the Canucks did not have extra picks over the last few drafts because those moves Benning made were perfect and there was zero market. It's unnerving how far posters go to needlessly put down other teams and then talk about others having an inferiority complex when criticizing the Canucks. 

The Canucks are in a very good position right now in terms of their future, but they're not perfect and other teams/players can be very good at what they do as well. 

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is the first draft I've followed where the Canucks picked my guy; I was high on Keller/Sergachev and 2016 and Vilardi in 2017. I could not contain my excitement when this pick was announced. I remember throwing something as soon as Benning said the word "University" :lol:

Digging up old posts would probably be going too far. To be fair, Hughes was the #1 choice on the CDC poll, so there were a lot of people who wanted him.  

A poll that included Bouhard would have been nice but I get that he was polarizing and not expected to be available either,  and that thread had him at 5 so didn't include him.  I've been following this team since there first final appearance and don't remember ever having so many potential NHLers so everyone wins 

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Welcome to CDC.  

The cheerleaders from the city limits are fine, but it's difficult for the hardcore fans that make pilmigrages of up to twelve hours plus to watch them live from all over B.C. to take them seriously.

Why have a guilty conscience if you are informed and have been watching hockey for over a couple decades?  Hughes is a smurf compared to Bouchard or Ohlund, it used to matter (size) even two years ago.  It's a fad that may or may not stick.   I'm not going to apologize for feeling the way I do, neither is the HHOF which doesn't include one defenseman that small.   He's going to be good that's for sure, but it's far from clear that the right pick was made.  It's a position that traditionally has size as a key component, sure undersized guys have succeeded in the past but none of them are considered great.   The smallest one would be Bobby Orr, but he was still Woo size and could fight (even guys like Quin).   I've supported Benning throughout, but am not as confident he made the right choice on this pick, and  certainly won't blindly agree and post retractions because I got it wrong, that's shallow and infantile.  Sure there's emotion attached but I'm not trolling either.  I doubt many people have the free time I do on this site, or spend as much time following hockey, don't care about props or putting memes to gain rep points or any of that crap.  I don't buy this current trend for undersized defenseman, it goes in the face of one hundred years of history.  End rant.  Going to take a break for awhile, it's like the CDC lacks both humility and honesty. 

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

A poll that included Bouhard would have been nice but I get that he was polarizing and not expected to be available either,  and that thread had him at 5 so didn't include him.  I've been following this team since there first final appearance and don't remember ever having so many potential NHLers so everyone wins 

Most scouting services had him between 6-12'ish. Pretty sure he was expected to be available.

22 hours ago, IBatch said:

The cheerleaders from the city limits are fine, but it's difficult for the hardcore fans that make pilmigrages of up to twelve hours plus to watch them live from all over B.C. to take them seriously.

Why have a guilty conscience if you are informed and have been watching hockey for over a couple decades?  Hughes is a smurf compared to Bouchard or Ohlund, it used to matter (size) even two years ago.  It's a fad that may or may not stick.   I'm not going to apologize for feeling the way I do, neither is the HHOF which doesn't include one defenseman that small.   He's going to be good that's for sure, but it's far from clear that the right pick was made.  It's a position that traditionally has size as a key component, sure undersized guys have succeeded in the past but none of them are considered great.   The smallest one would be Bobby Orr, but he was still Woo size and could fight (even guys like Quin).   I've supported Benning throughout, but am not as confident he made the right choice on this pick, and  certainly won't blindly agree and post retractions because I got it wrong, that's shallow and infantile.  Sure there's emotion attached but I'm not trolling either.  I doubt many people have the free time I do on this site, or spend as much time following hockey, don't care about props or putting memes to gain rep points or any of that crap.  I don't buy this current trend for undersized defenseman, it goes in the face of one hundred years of history.  End rant.  Going to take a break for awhile, it's like the CDC lacks both humility and honesty. 

Personally I haven't changed my preference on who I would have liked to see drafted by us regardless of who fell or not. I said all along I don't like small defensemen and I stand by that. I would have preferred Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes and then anyone else but Boqvist. I still feel that way and until Bouchard and Dobson get Waived or Hughes is part of a group that hoists the cup I will feel that way always. I have said after the draft I am OK with the Hughes kid because as I have maintained all along I have no control over the situation and its my opinion that JB is drafting better than his predecessors. I also said the pick at 37 was going to define the draft more than the pick at 7 and I still believe that. But that's what makes CDC. Seeing others opinions. Understanding where others are coming from. Some attack you for your opinion and that's not really ok but the emotion behind some opinions is pretty hard to stomach sometimes. I want to see this player drafted by us because I like the style of play he plays and how he provides value to the team. Someone likes another player and thinks he is the next Bobby or Wayne and that somehow makes his opinion more important or more truthful. I will always try to support my opinion with as many facts as I can

I will also try to avoid attacking another person for having their opinion. sometimes we wont agree. That's cool I had to walk away from CDC for a couple weeks because it gets frustrating. I doubt I am the only one that has to do that. Enjoy your break Ibatch I had a similar vacation a couple weeks back.

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Personally I haven't changed my preference on who I would have liked to see drafted by us regardless of who fell or not. I said all along I don't like small defensemen and I stand by that. I would have preferred Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes and then anyone else but Boqvist. I still feel that way and until Bouchard and Dobson get Waived or Hughes is part of a group that hoists the cup I will feel that way always. I have said after the draft I am OK with the Hughes kid because as I have maintained all along I have no control over the situation and its my opinion that JB is drafting better than his predecessors. I also said the pick at 37 was going to define the draft more than the pick at 7 and I still believe that. But that's what makes CDC. Seeing others opinions. Understanding where others are coming from. Some attack you for your opinion and that's not really ok but the emotion behind some opinions is pretty hard to stomach sometimes. I want to see this player drafted by us because I like the style of play he plays and how he provides value to the team. Someone likes another player and thinks he is the next Bobby or Wayne and that somehow makes his opinion more important or more truthful. I will always try to support my opinion with as many facts as I can

I will also try to avoid attacking another person for having their opinion. sometimes we wont agree. That's cool I had to walk away from CDC for a couple weeks because it gets frustrating. I doubt I am the only one that has to do that. Enjoy your break Ibatch I had a similar vacation a couple weeks back.

Thanks.  It lasted a whole day, guess I'm an addict.  Good points, this pick wasn't as distressing as OJ, but that for me at least had a lot to do with CLB going a little off board and taking PLD whom I thought we had in the bag, then MT falling on our lap and even higher end prospect than PLD, and we went with organizational need instead of what the scouts at the time at least said were the BPA.  I'm fine, I'm stoked we took defenseman with both our first two picks, and really like the Madden pick too, his team(s) winning percentages go up with him in the lineup and he's involved in a lot of the scoring too which suggests he will get more points with better linemates.

His dad was a big part of those NJ teams that won a lot of cups for the time period (same as Detroit, different team with their fourth cup) and it sounds like he's following in his footsteps and hopefully the production will too.  One of the better Selke candidate/winners of the time that line was just sick.  Thanks for sticking up for me, not that it was really that bad, but like a team, there is character in this site and in a way it's a reflection of the fan base and we all have a part in it if we post something.  I get that the draft is more exciting now (it's the reward for being bad or tanking as some may call it) and that the younger and relatively newer fans on this site have a different perspective than the older ones too.  I also get that Benning played in an era with big bad defenseman, so if he thinks this is the way to go, I can trust that.  Think the Bobby Orr comparison by his former coach is very encouraging too.

22 hours ago, IBatch said:

Thanks.  It lasted a whole day, guess I'm an addict.  Good points, this pick wasn't as distressing as OJ, but that for me at least had a lot to do with CLB going a little off board and taking PLD whom I thought we had in the bag, then MT falling on our lap and even higher end prospect than PLD, and we went with organizational need instead of what the scouts at the time at least said were the BPA.  I'm fine, I'm stoked we took defenseman with both our first two picks, and really like the Madden pick too, his team(s) winning percentages go up with him in the lineup and he's involved in a lot of the scoring too which suggests he will get more points with better linemates.

His dad was a big part of those NJ teams that won a lot of cups for the time period (same as Detroit, different team with their fourth cup) and it sounds like he's following in his footsteps and hopefully the production will too.  One of the better Selke candidate/winners of the time that line was just sick.  Thanks for sticking up for me, not that it was really that bad, but like a team, there is character in this site and in a way it's a reflection of the fan base and we all have a part in it if we post something.  I get that the draft is more exciting now (it's the reward for being bad or tanking as some may call it) and that the younger and relatively newer fans on this site have a different perspective than the older ones too.  I also get that Benning played in an era with big bad defenseman, so if he thinks this is the way to go, I can trust that.  Think the Bobby Orr comparison by his former coach is very encouraging too.

I like the Madden pick also although there was a Wise choice left on the table. I am excited to see how the new kids fit in the system this year whether here in Vancouver or Utica or back in NCAA. We are better this week for the draft. I think when the team is having a downturn the draft becomes the only exciting thing for a lot of fans. they have passion for the team and want to see it improve. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here.  You don't need me to stand up for you but I will always stand up when others are being accused of something they aren't saying. Hughes is a Canuck now and as much as I might not have agreed with picking him over the other two... we support our players. I will though follow how the players I wanted to draft perform.

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I like the Madden pick also although there was a Wise choice left on the table. I am excited to see how the new kids fit in the system this year whether here in Vancouver or Utica or back in NCAA. We are better this week for the draft. I think when the team is having a downturn the draft becomes the only exciting thing for a lot of fans. they have passion for the team and want to see it improve. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here.  You don't need me to stand up for you but I will always stand up when others are being accused of something they aren't saying. Hughes is a Canuck now and as much as I might not have agreed with picking him over the other two... we support our players. I will though follow how the players I wanted to draft perform.

I'd like to see why Wise was taken where he was. Maybe there's some information on him that the professionals are aware of that we aren't.

Oliver Wahlstrom will be the 2nd best forward in this draft class next to Svechnikov. Yesterday pulled off a double toe drag getting past each dman before roofing it. Can’t believe the Islanders got him at 11. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying we messed up but other teams did :p. My list was Boqvist, Hughes and then Wahlstrom in that order as our possibles for a pick. So I’m still happy Benning took one of the guys I wanted!

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Oliver Wahlstrom will be the 2nd best forward in this draft class next to Svechnikov. Yesterday pulled off a double toe drag getting past each dman before roofing it. Can’t believe the Islanders got him at 11. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying we messed up but other teams did :p. My list was Boqvist, Hughes and then Wahlstrom in that order as our possibles for a pick. So I’m still happy Benning took one of the guys I wanted!

Yeah, how him and Dobson slipped to them past other teams...:picard:

22 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I agree Wahlstrom was my #2 forward too, shocked he slipped so far.

Lucky Islanders though they nailed the draft.

Barzal and Wahlstrom will be nasty in a couple years.

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I agree Wahlstrom was my #2 forward too, shocked he slipped so far.

Lucky Islanders though they nailed the draft.

Barzal and Wahlstrom will be nasty in a couple years.

Wahlstrom is a big boy. (over 200) I wonder if he and Barzal are together next season?

Archived