Zfetch

2018 NHL Entry Draft

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Personally I haven't changed my preference on who I would have liked to see drafted by us regardless of who fell or not. I said all along I don't like small defensemen and I stand by that. I would have preferred Bouchard, Dobson, Hughes and then anyone else but Boqvist. I still feel that way and until Bouchard and Dobson get Waived or Hughes is part of a group that hoists the cup I will feel that way always. I have said after the draft I am OK with the Hughes kid because as I have maintained all along I have no control over the situation and its my opinion that JB is drafting better than his predecessors. I also said the pick at 37 was going to define the draft more than the pick at 7 and I still believe that. But that's what makes CDC. Seeing others opinions. Understanding where others are coming from. Some attack you for your opinion and that's not really ok but the emotion behind some opinions is pretty hard to stomach sometimes. I want to see this player drafted by us because I like the style of play he plays and how he provides value to the team. Someone likes another player and thinks he is the next Bobby or Wayne and that somehow makes his opinion more important or more truthful. I will always try to support my opinion with as many facts as I can

I will also try to avoid attacking another person for having their opinion. sometimes we wont agree. That's cool I had to walk away from CDC for a couple weeks because it gets frustrating. I doubt I am the only one that has to do that. Enjoy your break Ibatch I had a similar vacation a couple weeks back.

Thanks.  It lasted a whole day, guess I'm an addict.  Good points, this pick wasn't as distressing as OJ, but that for me at least had a lot to do with CLB going a little off board and taking PLD whom I thought we had in the bag, then MT falling on our lap and even higher end prospect than PLD, and we went with organizational need instead of what the scouts at the time at least said were the BPA.  I'm fine, I'm stoked we took defenseman with both our first two picks, and really like the Madden pick too, his team(s) winning percentages go up with him in the lineup and he's involved in a lot of the scoring too which suggests he will get more points with better linemates.

His dad was a big part of those NJ teams that won a lot of cups for the time period (same as Detroit, different team with their fourth cup) and it sounds like he's following in his footsteps and hopefully the production will too.  One of the better Selke candidate/winners of the time that line was just sick.  Thanks for sticking up for me, not that it was really that bad, but like a team, there is character in this site and in a way it's a reflection of the fan base and we all have a part in it if we post something.  I get that the draft is more exciting now (it's the reward for being bad or tanking as some may call it) and that the younger and relatively newer fans on this site have a different perspective than the older ones too.  I also get that Benning played in an era with big bad defenseman, so if he thinks this is the way to go, I can trust that.  Think the Bobby Orr comparison by his former coach is very encouraging too.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, IBatch said:

Thanks.  It lasted a whole day, guess I'm an addict.  Good points, this pick wasn't as distressing as OJ, but that for me at least had a lot to do with CLB going a little off board and taking PLD whom I thought we had in the bag, then MT falling on our lap and even higher end prospect than PLD, and we went with organizational need instead of what the scouts at the time at least said were the BPA.  I'm fine, I'm stoked we took defenseman with both our first two picks, and really like the Madden pick too, his team(s) winning percentages go up with him in the lineup and he's involved in a lot of the scoring too which suggests he will get more points with better linemates.

His dad was a big part of those NJ teams that won a lot of cups for the time period (same as Detroit, different team with their fourth cup) and it sounds like he's following in his footsteps and hopefully the production will too.  One of the better Selke candidate/winners of the time that line was just sick.  Thanks for sticking up for me, not that it was really that bad, but like a team, there is character in this site and in a way it's a reflection of the fan base and we all have a part in it if we post something.  I get that the draft is more exciting now (it's the reward for being bad or tanking as some may call it) and that the younger and relatively newer fans on this site have a different perspective than the older ones too.  I also get that Benning played in an era with big bad defenseman, so if he thinks this is the way to go, I can trust that.  Think the Bobby Orr comparison by his former coach is very encouraging too.

I like the Madden pick also although there was a Wise choice left on the table. I am excited to see how the new kids fit in the system this year whether here in Vancouver or Utica or back in NCAA. We are better this week for the draft. I think when the team is having a downturn the draft becomes the only exciting thing for a lot of fans. they have passion for the team and want to see it improve. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here.  You don't need me to stand up for you but I will always stand up when others are being accused of something they aren't saying. Hughes is a Canuck now and as much as I might not have agreed with picking him over the other two... we support our players. I will though follow how the players I wanted to draft perform.

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I like the Madden pick also although there was a Wise choice left on the table. I am excited to see how the new kids fit in the system this year whether here in Vancouver or Utica or back in NCAA. We are better this week for the draft. I think when the team is having a downturn the draft becomes the only exciting thing for a lot of fans. they have passion for the team and want to see it improve. Everyone is entitled to their opinion here.  You don't need me to stand up for you but I will always stand up when others are being accused of something they aren't saying. Hughes is a Canuck now and as much as I might not have agreed with picking him over the other two... we support our players. I will though follow how the players I wanted to draft perform.

I'd like to see why Wise was taken where he was. Maybe there's some information on him that the professionals are aware of that we aren't.

• Hydration 1

Oliver Wahlstrom will be the 2nd best forward in this draft class next to Svechnikov. Yesterday pulled off a double toe drag getting past each dman before roofing it. Can’t believe the Islanders got him at 11. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying we messed up but other teams did :p. My list was Boqvist, Hughes and then Wahlstrom in that order as our possibles for a pick. So I’m still happy Benning took one of the guys I wanted!

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Oliver Wahlstrom will be the 2nd best forward in this draft class next to Svechnikov. Yesterday pulled off a double toe drag getting past each dman before roofing it. Can’t believe the Islanders got him at 11. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying we messed up but other teams did :p. My list was Boqvist, Hughes and then Wahlstrom in that order as our possibles for a pick. So I’m still happy Benning took one of the guys I wanted!

Yeah, how him and Dobson slipped to them past other teams...:picard:

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I agree Wahlstrom was my #2 forward too, shocked he slipped so far.

Lucky Islanders though they nailed the draft.

Barzal and Wahlstrom will be nasty in a couple years.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's the "Coiler" effect.  :o

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I agree Wahlstrom was my #2 forward too, shocked he slipped so far.

Lucky Islanders though they nailed the draft.

Barzal and Wahlstrom will be nasty in a couple years.

Wahlstrom is a big boy. (over 200) I wonder if he and Barzal are together next season?

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

At least they didn't get to the Oilers.

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Wahlstrom is a big boy. (over 200) I wonder if he and Barzal are together next season?

It's honestly possible he's pretty stacked for a kid and the shot and talent are there! 

21 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

At least they didn't get to the Oilers.

But they did....:unsure:

...they just passed on them! :lol:

• Haha 1

On 2018-06-28 at 12:27 PM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I'd like to see why Wise was taken where he was. Maybe there's some information on him that the professionals are aware of that we aren't.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, that his skating is very poor for a guy his size, and was courioius what’s the hype.So he’s pretty much a top 6 guy or nothing player, (rob schremp, shirokov). High risk. 

Madden is is also considered a (bracket pick) so I understand the reasoning behind this.  He’s also a highly skilled player that plays a hard forechecking game and a great skater, so at the end of the day madden has a superior chance at making the nhl over wise.

5 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, that his skating is very poor for a guy his size, and was courioius what’s the hype.So he’s pretty much a top 6 guy or nothing player, (rob schremp, shirokov). High risk. 

Madden is is also considered a (bracket pick) so I understand the reasoning behind this.  He’s also a highly skilled player that plays a hard forechecking game and a great skater, so at the end of the day madden has a superior chance at making the nhl over wise.

Yeah I thought I saw somebody post he had a low hockey iq. They raved about Madden having a great hockey iq and has skills that should translate into more points. When he gets on a better team I’m sure we’ll see Madden become more productive.

Whoa whoa what. I said this as a joke a while back and Boqvist actually did it. London now has Bouchard AND Boqvist on their team. Talk about creating offense from your defense...

I wonder how much influence Chicago had on this decision. Boqvist could've played in the SHL or AHL next year, but they preferred this. He is still one of the youngest in this draft so playing him against kids his age on North American ice doesn't seem like the worst idea. 

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Whoa whoa what. I said this as a joke a while back and Boqvist actually did it. London now has Bouchard AND Boqvist on their team. Talk about creating offense from your defense...

I wonder how much influence Chicago had on this decision. Boqvist could've played in the SHL or AHL next year, but they preferred this. He is still one of the youngest in this draft so playing him against kids his age on North American ice doesn't seem like the worst idea. 

Boqvist was the guy I wanted. I’m excited to see how he does in the CHL as I believe if he came over early he probably would have been picked top 5. Also will be fun and easier to compare Boqvist and Bouchard.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Boqvist was the guy I wanted. I’m excited to see how he does in the CHL as I believe if he came over early he probably would have been picked top 5. Also will be fun and easier to compare Boqvist and Bouchard.

The Oilers will probably want Bouchard with them...and Hughes will prevail between the 2...but it will be fun to watch them grow up playing against each other....

On 2018-06-21 at 5:28 PM, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Being the poker  player that  i am leads me to believe that Benning has a variety of “Tells” .

he holds his cards tight and magnifies other players he may not be necessarily interested in. 

I initially thought that boqvist was his man but now im kind of leaning towards Hughes, just a hunch really but i do beleive offensive defenseman are regarded fairly high on his list

Figured id wait a bit before saying i called it

• Hydration 1