The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

This past year's lotto should have clearly illustrated how futile tanking is now. 

Just keep building youth and playing the games and let the chips fall where they may. 

If we finish 29th or 21st...doesn't really matter imo. Bonus of it being a very deep draft, means we'll still get a good player picking later in the top 10 anyway.

And who knows, maybe lady luck finally shows us some love and we grab a lotto spot. 

On 6/24/2017 at 8:26 PM, granpappy said:

the goal for the future should be: keep all of our own draft picks and collect as many as possible of anybody else's

players should be dealt around trade deadline fr draft picks, such as tanev, edler, miller( if he resigns)

54 minutes ago, J.R. said:

This past year's lotto should have clearly illustrated how futile tanking is now. 

Just keep building youth and playing the games and let the chips fall where they may. 

If we finish 29th or 21st...doesn't really matter imo. Bonus of it being a very deep draft, means we'll still get a good player picking later in the top 10 anyway.

And who knows, maybe lady luck finally shows us some love and we grab a lotto spot. 

On the contrary. This year showed us how important it is to tank. It's not just about getting a lottery pick, but also protecting how far you fall. We dropped the max 3 spots, but 5th is still a great pick. Wouldn't have gotten Pettersson if we had a pick in the teens. Finishing 2nd last also gave us 33rd overall allowing us to pick Lind and any other 1st round fallers. I would love another top 5 pick next year, so am fully aboard team tank again! 

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Our lotto luck sucks though.  Maybe it's best to finish at the bottom again, so we can stay in the top five picks when our crappy luck happens again?  

We're going to be bad next year regardless (whether we trade Tanev or not). A top 3/4/5 pick would be great, but we'll still get a good player in the first round. I just want us to stockpile picks for next draft. Look what an extra 2nd does for the pool. If JB can grab an extra 1st and/or a couple more 2nds with a few later picks I will be stoked. 

1 hour ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

We're going to be bad next year regardless (whether we trade Tanev or not). A top 3/4/5 pick would be great, but we'll still get a good player in the first round. I just want us to stockpile picks for next draft. Look what an extra 2nd does for the pool. If JB can grab an extra 1st and/or a couple more 2nds with a few later picks I will be stoked. 

Now that I'm on board with. Tanev + for Liljegrin and their 18 1st.

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

Are Dahlin and Svechnikov the guaranteed Top 2? Any others we should keep an eye on?

Probably. Although I suppose at this time last year it was Patrick and Liljegren and we know what happened there.

That said, Dahlin is a phenom. For him to drop out of the top-2 he'd probably need to catch mono, have a sports hernia, and get a concussion. Maybe that's not even enough. The kid would need to rob a bank or something. And even then, so long as he was only facing minimal prison time, I'd probably still consider picking him at first overall. ;) 

13 hours ago, J.R. said:

it was never about tanking.  the problem was trying to make the post season with an obviously weak team.  so the choices are sign high priced ufa's that are short term and hold onto your vets knowing that most likely you will fall short of the playoffs or get eliminated 1st round and draft way lower than you should r/t the poor quality of team or do not sign ufa's and trade your vets off for more drafty picks/prospects.  can't control the lottery but the draft was always meant to be the way for a poor team to become a good team.  so here we are scraping the bottom but fighting it hard.  gillis led us here when he tried to win the cup, i guess that's ok.  jb in spite of wanting to retool on the fly has helped us to stay down and is that ok?  his goal failed luckily and, lucky break for him his consolation prize is drafting high.  the real issue is had jb not attempted unsuccessfully to retool would we have picked even higher?  

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

Now that I'm on board with. Tanev + for Liljegrin and their 18 1st.

yeah right.  now had jb done this trade pre-draft we could actually have liljigrin in the fold and sans tanev we would have been in even better shape to pick high next year.  

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

haha what tank? We just sucked and had a ton of injuries. Thats not a tank... just poor quality.

Have to be happy about our future though. Lots of promise, you can see the future of this team now

Goldy-Bo-Boeser

Dahlen-Petterson-Lind

Virtanen-Gaudette-Goldobin

Gadjovich, Zhuk, Lockwood, Mckenzie, Palmu etc as well

Juolevi-______/Dahlin ;)

______/Tryamkin(maybe) - Stetcher

Hutton-Gudbranon

Pedan-Subban

McEneny-Cederholm

Chatfield-Brisebois

We need a couple more top 4 D but have plenty of guys that can play in the 5/6 roll potentially.

Demko

DiPietro

Garteig

Could use another for depth but both Demko and DiPietro could be starters for us in the future.

On 25 June, 2017 at 0:18 PM, Qwags said:

Are Dahlin and Svechnikov the guaranteed Top 2? Any others we should keep an eye on?

There's also Brady Tkachuk, and Veleno to look forward. They may challenge for the 1st and 2nd overalls but Dahlin, Svechnikov are otherworldly talent and franchise/generational player. Barring setbacks, they're locks. If there's a year to bad and be guaranteed at least 4th overall, next year is the year 

Knowing already that the Canucks will not get the 1st/2nd overall picks. (Yes, bitter) So with Dahlin & Svesnikov out of the question. My #1 hope for the 2018 draft is Adam Boqvist.

His brother just got drafted by NJD this past draft as a late 1998 birthday. However Adam is one of the youngest of the 2018 group, born August 15, 2000. 

Boqvist plays a very exiting game as a RH mobile puck moving defenseman & power play quarterback. There are so many things to like about him. Decent size for a 16yo, 5'11 - 170lbs. 

He he will be a player I will be watching all year & from what I've seen already over the past 2 years I have him in my top 5 at this point. Will be watching him in the Ivan Hilinka tournament happening in August.

It's likely that he will be loaned to a team in the Allsvenskan for next year. As he already lit up the U20 league for Bynras, & he needs to improve his strength & defensive play before playing in the SHL. But you should be getting excited for this kid, hope he is available to the Canucks. 

3 Goal Game vs. Finland at U17

16 hours ago, sharbinder said:

Knowing already that the Canucks will not get the 1st/2nd overall picks. (Yes, bitter) So with Dahlin & Svesnikov out of the question. My #1 hope for the 2018 draft is Adam Boqvist.

His brother just got drafted by NJD this past draft as a late 1998 birthday. However Adam is one of the youngest of the 2018 group, born August 15, 2000. 

Boqvist plays a very exiting game as a RH mobile puck moving defenseman & power play quarterback. There are so many things to like about him. Decent size for a 16yo, 5'11 - 170lbs. 

He he will be a player I will be watching all year & from what I've seen already over the past 2 years I have him in my top 5 at this point. Will be watching him in the Ivan Hilinka tournament happening in August.

It's likely that he will be loaned to a team in the Allsvenskan for next year. As he already lit up the U20 league for Bynras, & he needs to improve his strength & defensive play before playing in the SHL. But you should be getting excited for this kid, hope he is available to the Canucks. 

3 Goal Game vs. Finland at U17

Adam Boqvist just got picked by the London Knights in the import draft. It may be a possibility that he plays there. Really exciting if he ends up being paired with OJ for the season!!

Archived