The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Van had deal with VGK to trade down

Seannnp

So this "discussion" is still going on...

Canucks fan methodology for blaming.

STEP 1 - find something about which you disapprove (a trade, signing, coaching decision, or some made up thing which was pulled out of someone's butt). 

STEP 2 - apply blame to your favourite whipping boy (a GM, coach, player, owner, Bettman, etc). Being involved with your issue is not actually required.

STEP 3 - apply punishment (fire him, trade him, send him to the minors, waive him, whip him in the public square, wet willy, etc).

STEP 4 - generate some sort of "reason" why this person has screwed up. True, this normally would come before STEP 3. Don't let this bother you.

STEP 5 - dig for evidence to support your reasoning (circumstantial > greater than actual). True, this normally would also come before STEP 3. Don't let this bother you.

Gee, the Canucks got that Lind kid who was ranked 23rd at 33rd. .Gadjovich was ranked 39th, and he's taken by the Canucks at 55th. Must be a story there with a negative angle, if someone were to look hard enough... how about the old, "Benning should have been aware that these guys were ranked higher, but they were still on the board when the Canucks made their selections, which means that the other GMs saw something negative that Benning didn't, therefore Benning's ability to rate talent is to be questioned."

You'd think Benning would have learned his lesson with Hodgson or Schroeder, right? (see STEP 2 above) 

regards,  G.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

LOL.

I love the google-scout responses to the draft - always entertaining.

Why didn't the Rangers trade down from 7 for Lias Andersson - most scouting services had him in the teens?

Why didn't Philly use a 2nd on Frost? - virtually no one considered him a 1st round pick.

Why did Detroit take Rasmussen so high?  They're sooo dumb.

Why did that idiot McPhee trade down to take Brannstrom instead of taking him at 15 - that's too high for Brannstroooommmmm!   McPhee's so dumb!  Remember the Forsberg/Erat dealzzzz!

Most scouting sources had Pettersson going from 5 to 8.

Google scouts gonna google and B-otchford gonna drama.

I love Canucks fans who think they are legit NHL scouts. For there are many. Like you know anything about any of these guys other than youtube videos and one OHL game you saw 3 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

So this "discussion" is still going on...

Canucks fan methodology for blaming.

STEP 1 - find something about which you disapprove (a trade, signing, coaching decision, or some made up thing which was pulled out of someone's butt). 

STEP 2 - apply blame to your favourite whipping boy (a GM, coach, player, owner, Bettman, etc). Being involved with your issue is not actually required.

STEP 3 - apply punishment (fire him, trade him, send him to the minors, waive him, whip him in the public square, wet willy, etc).

STEP 4 - generate some sort of "reason" why this person has screwed up. True, this normally would come before STEP 3. Don't let this bother you.

STEP 5 - dig for evidence to support your reasoning (circumstantial > greater than actual). True, this normally would also come before STEP 3. Don't let this bother you.

Gee, the Canucks got that Lind kid who was ranked 23rd at 33rd. .Gadjovich was ranked 39th, and he's taken by the Canucks at 55th. Must be a story there with a negative angle, if someone were to look hard enough... how about the old, "Benning should have been aware that these guys were ranked higher, but they were still on the board when the Canucks made their selections, which means that the other GMs saw something negative that Benning didn't, therefore Benning's ability to rate talent is to be questioned."

You'd think Benning would have learned his lesson with Hodgson or Schroeder, right? (see STEP 2 above) 

regards,  G.

Hahaha

+1

Canucks fan base is rediculous.

God this board is hilarious!...  For two years now, this entire board has been telling me that draft-picks are just about the only way to succeed in the NHL.  That they are the most valuable thing in hockey.  Then, our management team throws one away for no reason whatsoever - and everyone rushes to their aid!  Apparently draft picks are the most valuable thing ever - unless Benning throws one away.  In that case, they are worthless.

It's fun watching all the White Knights rush in and protect a professional sports team from valid criticism!  Just hilarious!

Two days ago, virtually no one here thought Pettersson was worthy of the #5 overall pick - but, watch all the White Knights attacking anyone who says that today!  A complete turn-around in 24 hours.  From black to white, from night-to-day, from up to down - in only a few hours!  Yesterday morning, the entire board would have had a seizure if you told them we were taking Petterson at 5.  Today, it's the greatest pick ever.  What changed yesterday afternoon?  Right, he went from being not-a-Canuck to a Canuck.

Not much you can do about it if it leaked to him that we weren't picking Glass.

Yeah, Canucks' Management were the only people on Earth who knew we weren't taking Glass - and Vegas somehow figures that out!  Yeah, nothing we could do alright!  Keeping our damn mouths shut was obviously not an option here.  How could we have possibly prevented secret information from going from us to them???  How???  When I have a really important secret - it's just impossible to prevent strangers from figuring it out!

It's getting pretty tiresome watching all of you guys defend our management team for utter incompetence.  Like this right here.  We could have had our guy AND a valuable asset.  Benning got the guy without the asset.  All he had to do was not let the other team know our plans.  That was all.

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Or some media clingon leaked that they were meeting with Pettersson - the Sedins having him for dinner.

Whatever.

You guys are so easy to bait wadr.   You keep the B-otchfords in business.

Word from the HW is that the deal would have happened had Makar fallen to #5.  He didn't, so LV didn't need to make the trade.

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Heres how the convo happened

George McPhee: Hey Jim, I'd love to get my hands on that 5th pick, want to swap for 2nd rou...

Jim Benning: Elias Petersson is mine! mine mine mine mine, and stuff!

George McPhee laughs and heads to his table

Or, as HW has mentioned (see above), the potential deal was based on Makar being available at 5OA, and since he was taken at 4OA McPhee called up and cancelled the deal. So here's how the convo may have happened:

McPhee -  We still on to trade 1st round picks with us giving you a 2nd? We really like Makar!

Benning - Uhm, sure...

McPhee - Great! I'll send in the paperwork... (talking to someone off the phone) wait, WHAT?! Why didn't you guys tell me that Makar just got picked? (Back to Benning) Hey Jim, sorry man, I'm backing out of this deal. Makar's already gone!

Benning - Oh, sorry to hear that...

regards,  G.

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Speculation: Benning has 0 business suave and has 0 clue how to manage his assets. 

Yeah. I'd watch baseball for the remainder of the summer if I were you.

regards,  G.

6 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Yeah. I'd watch baseball for the remainder of the summer if I were you.

regards,  G.

Speculation: Baseball sucks. :lol:

Jeff Patterson 1040 is saying that Vegas might have saw the Canuck Jersey already made for Pettersson (last part of his name was exposed) and backed out of giving JB an additional pick to move up at the very last second. 

3 hours ago, zzbottom said:

I love Canucks fans who think they are legit NHL scouts. For there are many. Like you know anything about any of these guys other than youtube videos and one OHL game you saw 3 years ago. 

I have got to admit, I've never seen Elias Pettersson in an OHL game.;)

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

Jeff Patterson 1040 is saying that Vegas might have saw the Canuck Jersey already made for Pettersson (last part of his name was exposed) and backed out of giving JB an additional pick to move up at the very last second. 

Did he note just how much of the last name might have been seen? It could have been for Lias Andersson, or just as easily they made up more than one jersey in case their first couple of choices were already taken by the time the Canucks pick came up. Unless you're picking first OA, you may wish to take more than one jersey with you to your table.

regards,  G.

1 minute ago, Gollumpus said:

Did he note just how much of the last name might have been seen? It could have been for Lias Andersson, or just as easily they made up more than one jersey in case their first couple of choices were already taken by the time the Canucks pick came up. Unless you're picking first OA, you may wish to take more than one jersey with you to your table.

regards,  G.

Who knows, I think he was implying that enough off the Jersey was visible to tip off Vegas at the last second.  Im not sure if someone was holding the jersey already, but the point was that maybe Jim`s only fault in this was that someone had tipped off Vegas because the jersey was partially exposed.  Just relaying what I heard on the radio...

How about we go with the simpler explanation:

VGK had two forwards they liked and wanted to move up to number 5 to ensure they got at least one. However, they didn't expect both Heiskanen and Makar to be off the board before their pick. This meant that they were guaranteed to get at least one of those two forwards at number 6 and thus didn't need to move up to number 5. 

Archived