Canucks53

How we did on the Drafts

Rate this topic

It is going to take time to truly evaluate the picks that JB has made in the past few drafts. Even still, I thought he could have done better in this draft, Pettersson looks to be a big gamble, it may pay off and it may not but I was hoping for the safer choice in Glass.

Hopefully it all works out. The Canucks missed out on some great players in recent drafts that could have make an impact.

7 hours ago, Derp... said:

Pettersson was the right pick. Just be patient. 

Pettersson has the chance to be a 70-80 point player with the right linemates. Putting him on a line with Boeser is going to be unreal. I would say Goldobin or Dahlen would also fit with those two.

The next B Mo

It's looking like a good draft so far. We just need to be patient for a few years for them to develop. Pettersson is a great pick, potential to be the best in this draft class. 

I like this focus on skill, swinging for the fences rather than playing it safe. Shows they've adjusted that mindset since Virtanen

I like the Brassard pick. Young guy last year who just had his second season in the OHL and produced around half a point per game.

Probably has a decent chance at being a number 7 compared to most 7th rounders.

7 hours ago, Katobaron said:

I don't even know where to start...

1. 2 members of that Canucks list haven't even started their careers as Canucks yet

2. Obviously McCann had some worth or else he wouldn't have fetched Gudbranson

3. Since Carlo and Aho went in the second round, every other team looked past them in the first round as well

4. Benning doesn't have the benefit of seeing a few years past the draft and cherry picking names that he missed on draft day. He's blended a good mix of BPA and positional needs and by establishing a competitive crease and blue line (both take longer to develop than forwards) and including both some grit and some skill to his draftees, he has the team on track to develop a solid young core, something we haven't seen since the end of the WCE days

Sorry. I don't have the same enthusiasm you do. 

Gudbranson has done anything but succeed.

If Benning lacks vision, which you seem to elude to in point 4, he should not be in charge of a professional team, as vision is one of the most important assets a manager needs. I don't know which team you were watching but I saw a Vancouver team with very little bite and one that no one had much fear of.

Outside of Petterson (who I didn't see as the best option) and Gadjovich, I don't see anything that, significantly, improves our team, given the nature of our division. I don't see the Canucks, even coming close to, competing with the Oilers, Flames or even, the Vegas Knights. And that, is truly sad.

I think we've had a brilliant draft. But there will always be people here upset that we didn't take the good 'ole Canadian boys.

Just now, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I think we've had a brilliant draft. But there will always be people here upset that we didn't take the good 'ole Canadian boys.

You mean, Canadian-style?

like Chara, Koivu, Hossa, Forsberg...

• Upvote 1

I know there is absolutely zero percent chance that all our prospects will make the team, but this isn't looking too shabby in my fantasy hockey mind haha ;)

Gadjovich-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-Lind
Goldobin-Gaudette-Virtanen 

I've been very critical of our management in general, this doesn't change the fact that Jim should have been stockpiling picks three years ago rather than trading them away, but i think they bought themselves some goodwill with this draft. (Although i would have preferred Hague at 33 rather than Lind)

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Who wants to take a shot at identifying the core of this team?

And what its identity is. 

Depends if we get a gamebreaking elite star in the lottery or perpetually stock our team with 5th overalls. 

The future canucks are probably going to be a depth team of hard workers mixed with a dash of skill, balanced scoring in the top 9, a small-sized puck moving d-core and solid goaltending. Nashville-super lite. 

In a conference with Mcdavid and Laine, with the Leafs in the east, the road to the cup in the next generation is much harder for us than the 2000s-2010s. Rather than being a consistent favored contender, we gotta hope for that underdog story if we ever make it to the cup final again in the next decade. Or we end up like Nashville, consistent second round in playoffs but coming up against the wall of McDavid/Laine and never getting over that hump till much later.

If i'm allowed to be cynical for one minute, this is the price of thumping our chests and stroking our egos and saying "we aren't tanking losers like Edmonton/Toronto" in the crucial 2015-16 drafts.

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Depends if we get a gamebreaking elite star in the lottery or perpetually stock our team with 5th overalls. 

The future canucks are probably going to be a depth team of hard workers mixed with a dash of skill, balanced scoring in the top 9, a small-sized puck moving d-core and solid goaltending. Nashville-super lite. 

In a conference with Mcdavid and Laine, with the Leafs in the east, the road to the cup in the next generation is much harder for us than the 2000s-2010s. Rather than being a consistent favored contender, we gotta hope for that underdog story if we ever make it to the cup final again in the next decade. Or we end up like Nashville, consistent second round in playoffs but coming up against the wall of McDavid/Laine and never getting over that hump till much later.

If i'm allowed to be cynical for one minute, this is the price of thumping our chests and stroking our egos and saying "we aren't tanking losers like Edmonton/Toronto" in the crucial 2015-16 drafts.

Can I read that as "the 2011-present Jets"?

sounds exactly like how you describe this team.

I see a core of Bo, the other Bo, Guddy and that's about it so far.

The other prospects don't scream heart to me as of yet and are so far from being impact players as makes no difference to the team's foreseeable future. 

Looking forward to camp and those fun 9 games beyond game 1! 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Can I read that as "the 2011-present Jets"?

sounds exactly like how you describe this team.

I see a core of Bo, the other Bo, Guddy and that's about it so far.

The other prospects don't scream heart to me as of yet and are so far from being impact players as makes no difference to the team's foreseeable future. 

Looking forward to camp and those fun 9 games beyond game 1! 

For all their flaws. I loved watching the 2011-present jets so....that's not too bad in my books haha. Very likeable and exciting team.

I have faith in Dahlen and Petterssen. To paraphrase bennings controversial  words haha They could be our European skill line. And with bo and boeser our north American heart to back them up ;)

Pettersson does need to put on at least 20lbs, 185 is about minimum. However, the fact that he's effective against pros at 160 is actually a good stat FYI... year of training with the Canucks org, he could be the forward we all dreamed of

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I love the spreadsheets man, but you simply cannot use hindsight to show how bad someone was at drafted. It give you an unfair advantage. It would be like going back three years in the past, knowing all you know about the current players, and drafting. You'd be a drafting legend if you had that ability.

The OP listed 9 guys who he/she thinks will be better than Jake/Jared (Guddy).

That's over the span of 3 years in the 1st two round, which is all that were listed.

9 guys out of 3 yrs x 60 players = 180 picks.

So 9/180 is 5% - five percent of picks in the last three years in the first two rounds were better (luckier) than the Canucks'.

Spread out over thirty teams that 5% is 1.67% per year divided by 30. A really small number.

In all there was a less than 1% chance that any GM, let alone Benning would have drafted a "better" player.

Not sure this calls for the Jim walking the plank.

6 minutes ago, IbanezRG said:

Pettersson does need to put on at least 20lbs, 185 is about minimum. However, the fact that he's effective against pros at 160 is actually a good stat FYI... year of training with the Canucks org, he could be the forward we all dreamed of

https://mobile.twitter.com/4TomMartin/status/878635525015556096

Overheard at the draft from some team execs: "If Elias Pettersson weighed 20 more pounds he would have gone first overall." #Canucks

Steady diet of meat and potatoes for this guy. Stat! :)

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 2