The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How we did on the Drafts

Canucks53

The comparisons made in the pre-draft summaries are style comparisons.  Just because Glass is compared to Schefele does not mean he is going to become equivalent.

Everyone who complains about not picking Nylander and then complains about this pick needs to stop.  This kid outscored Nylander in their draft -1 seasons in the same league.  Nylander had the same criticism as far as size.

Kid is great on his skates, has sick puckhandling skills and thinks the game at an elite level.  Need to stop the CHL bias and give him a chance.  There really was little separation in this draft from 2-17.

Q :How'd we do

A: we should find out in 3-5 years. 

A solid 4/10 performance by the leagues worst gm. 

If benning had had done all the same moves he's done as a canucks  gm lets say gm of Calgary, Edmonton or any team  the same people saying what a superstar he is would be on here laughing about what a disater he is. 

2 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

I think we've had a brilliant draft. But there will always be people here upset that we didn't take the good 'ole Canadian boys.

Why are we constantly funding swedens future olympics throwing massive investment and time constantly on swedes?  hell we could just sign them when they about to retire for 6y/6m.  Is our team trying to suck up to the sedins cause this clearly isnt working..  time to bail on team sweden get some tough talented canadians, sign a couple russians and were good to go. 

Were a soft team who somehow got softer and worse after this draft.  Pretty bad feeling to draft 5th overall and select a guy with a large chance to never make it to the league. 

12 hours ago, Canucks53 said:

May Be JB is a GM with great long term vision, or he is just simply doing a bad job. Its time for the owner to start consider changing the GM.

I understand that last year we picked Olli over Matt Tkachuk was because the market is paying a premium for good defenseman (but I still don't agree, I think Matt is a better player). But this year we picked Pettersson over Cody Glass, Gabe Vilardi, and Casey Mittelstadt??? then I just don't get it. Every year, as a fan, I am somewhat disappointed as some of the drafts we make.

Here are the drafts that we make since JB joined, and also a list of players that were available for him to pick since 2014. Only 1 guy so far (Brock Boeser) is last seen playing for the Canucks, and only because we were out of the playoffs so he can get some minutes. Looking back, I think we failed big time in the 2014 draft when we had two 1st rounder. Look at all the options that we had instead of Jake or Jared (Guys sorry, no offense), but imagine we have  any of these guys in our lineup now: William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers, Dylan Larkin,  Nick Ritchie or David Pastrnak.

I really just wished this year we had taken any of these three Cody Glass, Gabe Vilardi, and Casey Mittelstadt, and wait for a chance to pick Pettersson in the 2nd round. If you heard the interview with Petterson, he also said basically just Vancouver have shown much interest. Or we could have traded down for other teams to pick the three and we get something back. I just hope that Vilardi won't become a big contributor to the Kings next year, otherwise not only that I will be sad seeing the Canucks lose now, I would also be unhappy to see the Flames AND the Kings win next season.

The other frustrations that I have is why would we keep making moves that we regret. We drafted McCann and traded him, We traded for Bonino with Kesler and then traded him away for Sutter, we signed for Vrbata and then just to let him out cold after a hot season, We could have drafted Goldobin instead of McCann, but we didn't and we traded away Hansen for him.

I guess partly Willie D have to take some responsibility, but as a fan, I really have no idea what JB is trying to achieve here with the club. Honestly, I don't see we have much assets at all as a Hockey Club.

Canucks Draft              
Year Round Team Players GP G A P Status (Last Seen)
2016 Round 1 VAN Olli Juolevi Nil Nil Nil Nil Minors
2015 Round 1 VAN
Brock Boeser 
9 4 1 5 NHL
2014 Round 1 VAN
Jake Virtanen 
65 7 7 14 Minors
2014 Round 1 VAN
Jared McCann
98 10 15 25 Traded
2014 Round 2 VAN
Thatcher Demko 
Nil Nil Nil Nil Minors

Players we could have drafted            
Year Round Team Players GP G A P  
2016 1 CGY
Matthew Tkachuk
76 13 35 48  
2015 2 CAR
Sebastian Aho
82 24 25 49  
2015 2 BOS
Brandon Carlo 
82 6 10 16  
2014 1 TOR
William Nylander 
103 28 46 74  
2014 1 WPG Nikolaj Ehlers 154 40 62 102  
2014 1 NSH Kevin Fiala 60 12 5 17  
2014 1 DET Dylan Larkin 160 40 37 77  
2014 1 ANA Nick Ritchie 110 16 16 32  
2014 1 BOS David Pastrnak 172 59 64 123  

Can't wait to get my minus back. Got you right in que

48 minutes ago, keehan3 said:

does any one wish we had William Nylander   he was 165  pound swed at the draft...everyone made fun of Toronto for drafting him ....now the leafs are the ones laughing....nuf said

And now we just picked a better Nylander and people are still complaining. Maybe it's not the players drafted that's the problem? Maybe it's the fact some people would bitch that water is wet. I swear if CDC drafted Mcjesus there'd still be complaints from some here. Benning did a fantastic job and those complaining will be eating their words within the next 5 years and yes you can quote me on that.

43 minutes ago, keehan3 said:

does any one wish we had William Nylander   he was 165  pound swed at the draft...everyone made fun of Toronto for drafting him ....now the leafs are the ones laughing....nuf said

The leafs are a tough team so he can play his game without fear.  Also worth mentioning toronto has most canadian players on their roster then any other..

19 minutes ago, xRussianrocket said:

The leafs are a tough team so he can play his game without fear.  Also worth mentioning toronto has most canadian players on their roster then any other..

So what?

So much saltiness.

Its the summer, time for some of us to get out of the ocean of unhappiness and jump in the lake of optimism.

Either that or do a cleanse or something.

They say patience is a virtue for a reason!

35 minutes ago, xRussianrocket said:

what has the leafs having a few more Canadian player got anything to do with them getting William Nylander  ..so your saying your glad we don't have him  ?   and the leafs are not a  tougher team

48 minutes ago, Mattrek said:

And now we just picked a better Nylander and people are still complaining. Maybe it's not the players drafted that's the problem? Maybe it's the fact some people would bitch that water is wet. I swear if CDC drafted Mcjesus there'd still be complaints from some here. Benning did a fantastic job and those complaining will be eating their words within the next 5 years and yes you can quote me on that.

you are so right  :}

52 minutes ago, xRussianrocket said:

And still lost their playoff round

You are going to get a lot of people here trying to convince you white is black, you should buy their ice cubes for your trip to the arctic and any problems with JB's draft record are strictly YOUR fault. That you you are not qualified to critisize a professional GM like JB, and that you should be quiet.

Do not listen to them, your gut is not lying to you, and you speak the truth.

Understand I am being 100% serious here and every hockey fan NOT in Vacouver knows what I'm about to say to be true.

Had YOU been the GM these last 4 years, we would have a better team, The GM of the Vancouver Canucks is below the intelligence of the average fan and this team will NEVER go anywhere with JB at the wheel.

It breaks my heart to write this, Trever Linden is my childhood hero and could always do no wrong in my eyes, but he has brought in and tolerated an unqualified incapable buffoon who has been destroying our team for 4 years. But he won't fire the guy lending tacit approval to everything that guy does.

To summarize you are RIGHT, JB is incompetent in his job as GM and except for Boeser has NEVER gotten us the BPA

My suggestion?  Withhold all monies from the team until JB is removed, I am, 

He is no GM, don't let anyone tell you that what you see with your own eyes, isn't there

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I love the spreadsheets man, but you simply cannot use hindsight to show how bad someone was at drafted. It give you an unfair advantage. It would be like going back three years in the past, knowing all you know about the current players, and drafting. You'd be a drafting legend if you had that ability.

It is of course true that cherry picking with the benefit of hindsight is not the right way to assess a GM's draft performance. After all, every GM in the league passed on P.K. Subban in the 1st round. Ditto for Patrice Bergeron and Duncan Keith as all those guys were second rounders.

The right way is i) to compare a given GM's picks against the "board" consisting of the consensus of publicly known expert opinion or as close to consensus as is possible to get and ii) to compare it against what other GMs achieved with similar draft positions.

So it is fair to compare Virtanen with Nylander and Ehlers as most credible public sources had both of them ahead of Virtanen. (See http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings/). Craig Button famously had Virtanen in the second round and had Ehlers at #6 overall, where the Canucks took Virtanen. Button took a lot of flack from CDC but his assessment of how Jake would develop turned out to be very accurate and I would say that his picks over the last few years have been pretty good.

It is also fair to compare Juolevi with Tkachuk as basically every credible public source had Tkachuk ahead.

As for McCann, he has under-performed but I would not criticize Benning for that pick. He was at the top of a lot of lists by the time the Canucks took him at #24 overall. Button had him at #19. (McCann had a better year than Virtanen in the AHL last year. You would quite happy if you had picked him in the second round). Benning would have gotten positive points if he had realized that there were problems with McCann and taken Pastrnak instead, but he does not get negative points for picking McCann.

But, similarly, I would give some but not a lot of positive points for Boeser as his "consensus" was in the low to mid-20s. I would say that picking him was consistent with the "board" and did not show any special insight. Since then, Boeser has outperformed his draft position, so that is great.

As for lower round picks, Benning has picked some guys who move up a long way in the redraft, like Gaudette and Brisebois, but every GM has occasional late picks who do well. And even if those two guys continue to make good progress it is unlikely they will be any more than complementary (bottom 6/bottom pairing/extra man) players at the NHL level. But any pick from the third round or below who makes the NHL is a big win. However, it is the high picks that really matter so that is where we should focus in assessing Benning.

Comparing Benning's performance in the draft with other NHL GMs I think puts him at about the NHL  average -- which is better than most Canuck GMs have achieved.  Right now the Canucks have pretty good but still not great prospect pool despite a pretty dismal last four years and corresponding good draft pick opportunities.

3 hours ago, combover said:

Q :How'd we do

A: we should find out in 3-5 years. 

A solid 4/10 performance by the leagues worst gm. 

If benning had had done all the same moves he's done as a canucks  gm lets say gm of Calgary, Edmonton or any team  the same people saying what a superstar he is would be on here laughing about what a disater he is. 

Bingo,

I don't know what else he could possibly do to prove how bad he is.

This in one of the worst GM's I can remember, his intelligence level is below that of the average fan.

If you believe this you MUST vote with your dollars, do what I and many others are doing,

NO MORE MONEY SPENT ON THE CANUCKS UNTIL JB IS GONE

The fact that he still has a job is an insult to every long term fan of this team and proof of what they think of us, everyday more and more of us are saying NO to this BS incompetence.

1 minute ago, terrible.dee said:

Bingo,

I don't know what else he could possibly do to prove how bad he is.

This in one of the worst GM's I can remember, his intelligence level is below that of the average fan.

If you believe this you MUST vote with your dollars, do what I and many others are doing,

NO MORE MONEY SPENT ON THE CANUCKS UNTIL JB IS GONE

The fact that he still has a job is an insult to every long term fan of this team and proof of what they think of us, everyday more and more of us are saying NO to this BS incompetence.

Pick 5 is our future elite number one centre.  The kid has way mor elite skills that guys taken after him.  Picks 33 and 55 are definitely going to be in our middle size forwards in a couple three years.  These three picks alone just made our rebuild, when it's done, actually a Cup level team.  The guys picked after the top three don't impress as much.

Archived