The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How we did on the Drafts

Canucks53

3 hours ago, Derp... said:

So much saltiness.

Its the summer, time for some of us to get out of the ocean of unhappiness and jump in the lake of optimism.

Either that or do a cleanse or something.

They say patience is a virtue for a reason!

The ocean is filled with salt; it would only make them angrier.

7 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Sorry. I don't have the same enthusiasm you do. 

Gudbranson has done anything but succeed.

If Benning lacks vision, which you seem to elude to in point 4, he should not be in charge of a professional team, as vision is one of the most important assets a manager needs. I don't know which team you were watching but I saw a Vancouver team with very little bite and one that no one had much fear of.

Outside of Petterson (who I didn't see as the best option) and Gadjovich, I don't see anything that, significantly, improves our team, given the nature of our division. I don't see the Canucks, even coming close to, competing with the Oilers, Flames or even, the Vegas Knights. And that, is truly sad.

It may be sad, but unfortunately that is the cycle we are in. It will take time and patience to get out of. Which by the way the Flames and Oilers fans also had to go through. Vegas has been dealt a pretty good hand so far. We'll see what happens on the ice

2 hours ago, HC20.0 said:

I remember when the Jets went off the board to pick Mark Schiefle, and everyone thought they were nuts, because nobody had him as a lock for the top 10 that year. Turned out Winnipeg knew what they were doing, and I have full confidence that JB knew exactly what he was doing taking Pettersson.

+1 you're 100% on the ball with that comparison. We could have the next Nicklas Backstrom on our hands! 

9 minutes ago, agent007 said:

It may be sad, but unfortunately that is the cycle we are in. It will take time and patience to get out of. Which by the way the Flames and Oilers fans also had to go through. Vegas has been dealt a pretty good hand so far. We'll see what happens on the ice

Vegas will battle Colorado for 31st.

54 minutes ago, westcoast said:

Not so much disappointed in the players drafted as I am with  the fact that WHEN ARE WE GOING TO START THE REBUILD?All the teams at the draft board received at the very least a similar haul today and if the Canucks are going to get back on top they have to fast track this thing with MULTIPLE high picks or they will never close the gap on anybody.

So you telling me JB can control the lotto balls? God we should run him out of town now!!!!!

2 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

I'm not big on advance stats, but one formula that I think is pretty close is the one that predicts one player's production in one league to another. In this case or boy Pattersson would be have produced at 1.7 points per game in the CHL. Compared to Hischier 57 games played and 86 points, Pattersson would be at 98 points.

Why didn't he rip things up at the world juniors then with "equal" competition?  Where do you find the formula for going tier II Swedish league vs the CHL anyways? Set at 1.7? Just curious.

17 hours ago, Canucks53 said:

May Be JB is a GM with great long term vision, or he is just simply doing a bad job. Its time for the owner to start consider changing the GM.

I understand that last year we picked Olli over Matt Tkachuk was because the market is paying a premium for good defenseman (but I still don't agree, I think Matt is a better player). But this year we picked Pettersson over Cody Glass, Gabe Vilardi, and Casey Mittelstadt??? then I just don't get it. Every year, as a fan, I am somewhat disappointed as some of the drafts we make.

Here are the drafts that we make since JB joined, and also a list of players that were available for him to pick since 2014. Only 1 guy so far (Brock Boeser) is last seen playing for the Canucks, and only because we were out of the playoffs so he can get some minutes. Looking back, I think we failed big time in the 2014 draft when we had two 1st rounder. Look at all the options that we had instead of Jake or Jared (Guys sorry, no offense), but imagine we have  any of these guys in our lineup now: William Nylander, Nikolaj Ehlers, Dylan Larkin,  Nick Ritchie or David Pastrnak.

I really just wished this year we had taken any of these three Cody Glass, Gabe Vilardi, and Casey Mittelstadt, and wait for a chance to pick Pettersson in the 2nd round. If you heard the interview with Petterson, he also said basically just Vancouver have shown much interest. Or we could have traded down for other teams to pick the three and we get something back. I just hope that Vilardi won't become a big contributor to the Kings next year, otherwise not only that I will be sad seeing the Canucks lose now, I would also be unhappy to see the Flames AND the Kings win next season.

The other frustrations that I have is why would we keep making moves that we regret. We drafted McCann and traded him, We traded for Bonino with Kesler and then traded him away for Sutter, we signed for Vrbata and then just to let him out cold after a hot season, We could have drafted Goldobin instead of McCann, but we didn't and we traded away Hansen for him.

I guess partly Willie D have to take some responsibility, but as a fan, I really have no idea what JB is trying to achieve here with the club. Honestly, I don't see we have much assets at all as a Hockey Club.

Canucks Draft              
Year Round Team Players GP G A P Status (Last Seen)
2016 Round 1 VAN Olli Juolevi Nil Nil Nil Nil Minors
2015 Round 1 VAN
Brock Boeser 
9 4 1 5 NHL
2014 Round 1 VAN
Jake Virtanen 
65 7 7 14 Minors
2014 Round 1 VAN
Jared McCann
98 10 15 25 Traded
2014 Round 2 VAN
Thatcher Demko 
Nil Nil Nil Nil Minors

Players we could have drafted            
Year Round Team Players GP G A P  
2016 1 CGY
Matthew Tkachuk
76 13 35 48  
2015 2 CAR
Sebastian Aho
82 24 25 49  
2015 2 BOS
Brandon Carlo 
82 6 10 16  
2014 1 TOR
William Nylander 
103 28 46 74  
2014 1 WPG Nikolaj Ehlers 154 40 62 102  
2014 1 NSH Kevin Fiala 60 12 5 17  
2014 1 DET Dylan Larkin 160 40 37 77  
2014 1 ANA Nick Ritchie 110 16 16 32  
2014 1 BOS David Pastrnak 172 59 64 123  

Word to the wise - for every pint of draft have a glass of water. Your head will thank you the next day.

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why didn't he rip things up at the world juniors then with "equal" competition?  Where do you find the formula for going tier II Swedish league vs the CHL anyways? Set at 1.7? Just curious.

17 year olds at the WJC are 2-3 years younger than the best players.

Last year at the Under 18's he went 1-7-8 in 7 games.  That's more "equal".  The year before U16 3-7-10 in 6 games

2 hours ago, keehan3 said:

my point is everyone is freaking out that we picked pettersson because hes only 165 lb right now  and because of that hes going to suck.....im using nylander as an example you don't have to be 200 lbs at the draft to be a great player

Okay....  

I miss read your post.  Totally agree.  Likely my bad.  I like Pettersson more because he's our pick but Nylander is proof that 165lbs Swedish forwards can really turn out.  Missed that in your first post, but see what you are laying down. 

EmW

Petterssons older brother was around 165 at 17 and at 21 is now 185.....Sedin size

It's really hard to find historical data like weight on hockey players so if he turns out to be a similar size to Hank when mature, do we have a lot to worry about?  Pair him up with a power forward like Virtanen.  If he can handle himself with leverage etc and has good core strength then he'll be fine.

Benning is interested in speed and skill and whether he will fit into the group he has already.  I think this is often overlooked by fans.  Benning is building a team.  If a player rubs the other guys the wrong way (Kane, Subban) you're in for grief.

17 hours ago, combover said:

He's doing a very bad job and he won't be here very much longer. 

Jim benning won't be the gm long enough to see IF his long term PROJECTS become nhlers. 

Just like holding on to Tanev serves no purpose for the Canucks this point but to diminish his value with a ntc kicking in. 

Even trying to Resigning Miller just another example of a guy with no plan just keep throwning sh.. at the wall and see what sticks. 

One of the worst gms in the history of the club his stats reflect it And Proven wrong more than Donald trump. 

I don't believe a word he says and have no faith that he has the skill or ability to build a "competative" team. Hopefully some of his draft picks start making the NHL and staying there because so far he's a ZERO and that's with now three picks in the top 6. 

I hope by next years lottery we have a experienced NHL GM that know what he's doing because benning proved he hasn't got a clue. 

out gmed by McPhee at the draft....lol.(not that's difficult) 

teams picking after Vancouver are always pleasantly surprised if not shocked by what's left on the table. 

Goodbye and good riddance. 

He's going to be extended for 3

more years. How's that make you feel?

2 hours ago, westcoast said:

Regardless of where the Canucks pick benning needs more picks and he needs to make moves to get them.

Benning had 7 picks yesterday. that's a lot of picks. what more do you want. lol. 

Just now, Salacious Crumb said:

He's going to be extended for 3

more years. How's that make you feel?

i actually can see that happening. Benning hasnt done a terrible job considering this was his first GM job. and he's been growing on the job too. sounds more confident and sure of himself in interviews he's conducting compared when he was first on the job. 

Archived