The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

On 7/11/2017 at 8:18 PM, Alflives said:

Fox played with McDavid.  Fox, as you say, is not even close to Lind.  Fox couldn't skate for one.

How much did you watch him skate? Unusually there is no mention that he can't skate here. I see "good but not great speed" did that not apply to Bo at one time? What are your scouting accreditations?

"An offensively aware centerman that plays a power forward game. Has a very active stick and can create turnovers easily. Possesses an accurate rocket of a shot that he can get off in the blink of an eye. Creates energy through playing a mean, physical game; is a very capable scrapper. All-in-all, Dane Fox is that well-rounded type of player who you can rely on in any given situation to score, throw a big hit, or grind a win out of a low-scoring game. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015) "

"Fox has solid offensive skills but needs to work on his defensive game. He has good, but not great, speed and needs to improve on his first step and acceleration. Signed in the midst of an outstanding overage season, Fox was able to dominate the smaller and in many cases younger, players at the junior level with his strength, competitive drive and a booming shot. He will need to develop the supplementary areas of his game and improve his overall stick handling and passing and pass receiving skills to move up at the pro level."
Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/dane_fox/#9cURC7Sy7J3tVwxa.99

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

How much did you watch him skate? Unusually there is no mention that he can't skate here. I see "good but not great speed" did that not apply to Bo at one time? What are your scouting accreditations?

"An offensively aware centerman that plays a power forward game. Has a very active stick and can create turnovers easily. Possesses an accurate rocket of a shot that he can get off in the blink of an eye. Creates energy through playing a mean, physical game; is a very capable scrapper. All-in-all, Dane Fox is that well-rounded type of player who you can rely on in any given situation to score, throw a big hit, or grind a win out of a low-scoring game. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015) "

"Fox has solid offensive skills but needs to work on his defensive game. He has good, but not great, speed and needs to improve on his first step and acceleration. Signed in the midst of an outstanding overage season, Fox was able to dominate the smaller and in many cases younger, players at the junior level with his strength, competitive drive and a booming shot. He will need to develop the supplementary areas of his game and improve his overall stick handling and passing and pass receiving skills to move up at the pro level."
Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/dane_fox/#9cURC7Sy7J3tVwxa.99

Fox will be 24 in October.  He doesn't skate well enough for the .NHL.  Bo was young.  Cole Lind is a really good skater - more like Trevor Linden than Dane Fox.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Fox will be 24 in October.  He doesn't skate well enough for the .NHL.  Bo was young.  Cole Lind is a really good skater - more like Trevor Linden than Dane Fox.  

You still haven't answered where the "he can't skate" from. That is just your opinion and you are clearly neither a scout nor a coach.

16 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

You still haven't answered where the "he can't skate" from. That is just your opinion and you are clearly neither a scout nor a coach.

I'm pretty sure we have no NHL scouts or coaches.  Some guys that seem like they know quite a bit and may have played college or CHL or even some pro hockey but I don't think NHL guys are taking time to comment on our forum. :)

Edited by dpn1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I'm pretty sure we have no NHL scouts or coaches.  Some guys that seem like they know quite a bit and may have played college or CHL or even some pro hockey but I don't think NHL guys are taking time to comment on our forum. :)

You are spot on but Alf is renowned for quoting hearsay, dubious media and his next door neighbour as if they were some kind of super scout. :lol: The list of coaches, players, GMs and owners he has libelled this way is the stuff of legend.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Lind looks a lot like a young Trevor Linden out there.  He's got the same frame, scores a lot of great goals, plays tough, and skates similar.  Really like this pick:)

Where can i watch this?

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

''Mobility is a major concern, and the organization would like to see him take strides in, well, his ability to take strides.''

That was a quote from the article below, from his age 22 year. Well into his pro career. He was also reported to have been cut by Travis Green, on almost day 1 of his first pro camp. Because he could not skate. 

https://canucksarmy.com/2015/10/14/dane-fox-assigned-to-kalamazoo/

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Fox has played 2 AHL games. Seems to be fine in the ECHL, I'd say time is running out for him. Maybe he should go to Switzerland or something and try and make an impact there? 

Dane Fox has signed with the Nurnberg Ice Tigers in Germany’s DEL for the 2017-18 season

http://www.ohlalumnicentral.com/dane-fox-nurnberg-ice-tigers/

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Kelowna. :) and when he's in town playing the Giants.

It is so hard to say, given the competition.  I might be wrong, but I feel that if he is put up against NHL-class defensemen he will have a harder time scoring.  The kid certainly has good vision though - I'll give him that - but he doesn't strike me as being a fancy highly skilled player as opposed to a good opportunist.

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

It is so hard to say, given the competition.  I might be wrong, but I feel that if he is put up against NHL-class defensemen he will have a harder time scoring.  The kid certainly has good vision though - I'll give him that - but he doesn't strike me as being a fancy highly skilled player as opposed to a good opportunist.

Just like Trevor.  There is a point in the Lind highlite reel (4:54) where he skates through the neutral zone, and splits the D.  That's got Trevor written all over it.  Tall, lanky, fast, aggressive, and an excellent shot.  I think we sometimes forget .Trevor was once youthful too:

IMG_0806.JPG

Trying to figure out why I can't get excited about this pick...realized it's been 25 years since we had one of our second round picks turn into a real hockey player. 

And Mason Raymond I guess, but that would lend more weight to why I can't get excited about a second round pick.

i can't wait for him and Gadjovich and Thatcher to all change the tides.

Edited by nzan
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Lind looks a lot like a young Trevor Linden out there.  He's got the same frame, scores a lot of great goals, plays tough, and skates similar.  Really like this pick:)

Like I mentioned previously, Lind reminds me more of Blake Comeau (2nd rounder, ex-Kelowna Rocket, played in WJC) than Linden.

1 hour ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Like I mentioned previously, Lind reminds me more of Blake Comeau (2nd rounder, ex-Kelowna Rocket, played in WJC) than Linden.

Playing for Kelowna, Wjc and being drafted in 2nd round are completely irrelevant to what kind of player he is. 

• Upvote 4