The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Baer was a high first round pick that put up historic numbers in junior....not really a fair comparison.   Further, the team strength and style of play that an AHL team has also dictates something like "points".   This fixation with points is odd.   There are lots of NHL players who didn't blow the AHL away and vice versa.   

Well since points is probably the most effective stat in determining hype of a prospect I don't think it's unreasonable when our prospects are putting up underwhelming numbers to not be particularly excited about them. And if the problem is the systems (I posted in the Utica thread that I'm not particularly sold on our coaching staff there), then so be it, but talented players find ways to put up points.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Well we all hold out hope for Juolevi because of his point production, and don't lie about that, we see posters bring up his ppg all the time.  I myself have hope for him because of it, as do you

he looked pretty good in utica, its sh!tty that he's had injurys, but i think he'll be a decent player for us next year or maybe through half way through the season. i cant remember how long till he's fully healthy?

5 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

he looked pretty good in utica, its sh!tty that he's had injurys, but i think he'll be a decent player for us next year or maybe through half way through the season. i cant remember how long till he's fully healthy?

Tear in his knee meniscus. 6 month recovery time . Puts him into the middle of June this year before he is ready for full on workouts. He should be fully healthy for the start of next year with pretty much a full summer to train without limitations.  

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Tear in his knee meniscus. 6 month recovery time . Puts him into the middle of June this year before he is ready for full on workouts. He should be fully healthy for the start of next year with pretty much a full summer to train without limitations.  

thanks

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2019 at 10:55 PM, cuporbust said:

6 months for a meniscus tear...?

I have had 3 surgeries for that and except for the botched one ...I was ready to go back to work in the bush in about 6 weeks....does he have complications or is that just your guess?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I have had 3 surgeries for that and except for the botched one ...I was ready to go back to work in the bush in about 6 weeks....does he have complications or is that just your guess?

Screenshot_20190502-090628_Chrome.jpg

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Screenshot_20190502-090628_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for digging that up...it does sound like he must have had some reconstructive surgery or the like for the timeline to be so long.

...Also I thought we were talking about Lind...I already knew that Oli was out for 6 months, but again I thought it was more than a meniscus tear.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Not to say that your job's not hard work but are you an elite level athlete? I'd imagine he was able to get around etc and start non knee related workouts in probably a similar time frame but isn't considered '100%' for 6 months.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Not to say that your job's not hard work but are you an elite level athlete? I'd imagine he was able to get around etc and start non knee related workouts in probably a similar time frame but isn't considered '100%' for 6 months.

I pretty much was in the old days...played college level sports and then planted trees up and down mountainsides for over 20 years....6 weeks after 2 of those surgeries I was packing treees up mountains again.

I don't mean to add distress to  people thinking it was a simple meniscus tear but the timeline to me doesn't jive.

In any case ...from the latest reports Oli seems to be progressing well and will be on the ice by next month....

How is Kole Lind doing?

Teaching the kids who are willing to learn it the importance of hard work and earning your ice time. Exactly what Jim and Travis have been preaching.

You win with players who have baked in adversity and challenges. 

I love how kole admitted he has always been the guy and he's learned he has to find ways to make things happen. 

Very encouraging to hear our system of developing prospects is working out so well. This was the first year year we've had a number of quality prospects in Utica. It's good for everyone else to see him speak these truths.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Teaching the kids who are willing to learn it the importance of hard work and earning your ice time. Exactly what Jim and Travis have been preaching.

You win with players who have baked in adversity and challenges. 

I love how kole admitted he has always been the guy and he's learned he has to find ways to make things happen. 

Very encouraging to hear our system of developing prospects is working out so well. This was the first year year we've had a number of quality prospects in Utica. It's good for everyone else to see him speak these truths.

Dahlen, Lind, Gajovich, Palmu and Juolevi all came into the year with a decent amount of hype and they all had awful seasons. Very disappointing what happened in Utica last season. To top it off Benning never made the trip there. 

On 4/30/2019 at 4:00 PM, The 5th Line said:

Well we all hold out hope for Juolevi because of his point production, and don't lie about that, we see posters bring up his ppg all the time.  I myself have hope for him because of it, as do you

My reason for being high on OJ has more to do with his positioning and decision making.   Those are what lead to him getting points but he is not someone I would just on points like i would, say, Hughes who creates O from the D position out of plays that most cannot do that.   OJ won't be that kind of player - ever.   OJ is far more like Edler in terms of positioning and like Tanev in terms of how he uses his body.    However, he is better than both (at comparative same levels of their careers) at first pass and zone exits in general.   

I see OJ as a solid 40 point Dman at the NHL level within the first three or four years of his career in the bigs.....he will be valued more for what people don't notice about him than what they do.   I know many remain on the fence with this kid, and I get that given his lost season this year but I think a few years from now people will be very pleased that he is part of the Canuck organization.    

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Dahlen, Lind, Gajovich, Palmu and Juolevi all came into the year with a decent amount of hype and they all had awful seasons. Very disappointing what happened in Utica last season. To top it off Benning never made the trip there. 

Juolevi was having a really good season offensively till he got injured. Dahlen hasn’t been any better on the Sharks farm team and I think the other 3 were just overhyped. I’ve never been that high on Lind, but he still has NHL potential. I think Dahlen and Palmu thought they’d easily transition since they both played against men, but got a bit of a wake up call. Gadjovichs’s problems are all skating.

Edited by Elias_Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Did Juolevi have an awful season? From all reports, it seemed like it was a very having a pretty good season. Getting points, and getting lots of minutes.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Juolevi had a phenomenal start to his season. Not sure what you are talking about. Injuries are the only reason he didn't play the final 30-40 games in the NHL. 

13 points in 18 games for a rookie AHL defenceman isn't had by any stretch. He was just starting to heat up when he got sidelined.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

My reason for being high on OJ has more to do with his positioning and decision making.   Those are what lead to him getting points but he is not someone I would just on points like i would, say, Hughes who creates O from the D position out of plays that most cannot do that.   OJ won't be that kind of player - ever.   OJ is far more like Edler in terms of positioning and like Tanev in terms of how he uses his body.    However, he is better than both (at comparative same levels of their careers) at first pass and zone exits in general.   

I see OJ as a solid 40 point Dman at the NHL level within the first three or four years of his career in the bigs.....he will be valued more for what people don't notice about him than what they do.   I know many remain on the fence with this kid, and I get that given his lost season this year but I think a few years from now people will be very pleased that he is part of the Canuck organization.    

I hoped OJ would turn out like a Josi type player, but with his injury troubles, I'm just not sure what to expect.. Might be overstating, but it seems like every time he gets rolling, bad things happen to him..

He seems to me like a smooth, smart player who will be a valuable top 4 guy when he gets things figured out.. However, the last thing Van needs is another injury prone top 4.. hopefully this isn't the case..

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I came in a little too confident last season. With everything I've learned, I know what to prepare for this summer."

Just as I suspected, let's hope he's learned the errors of his way and corrected it. Pro sport is a dog eat dog world, he best gets used to it. Ditto Gadjovich. I also hope that if they're not ready again this season they send them down to Kalamazoo maybe it will have some shock effect rather than them sitting in the press box as healthy cuts

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Juolevi had a phenomenal start to his season. Not sure what you are talking about. Injuries are the only reason he didn't play the final 30-40 games in the NHL. 

13 points in 18 games for a rookie AHL defenceman isn't had by any stretch. He was just starting to heat up when he got sidelined.

And I bet he was playing with a sore knee too.  The kid just came off back surgery and likely didn’t want to sit out with another injury, so he tried to play through it.  I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised just how good this kid is.