The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

57 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So we have Demko and Virtanen and a few players that have spent spot time in Utica. We also have had guys like Sautner and Brisebois who have been call ups, MacEwen as well.

We have just started restocking the cupboards (that were quite bare) and development takes time. Not everyone makes that leap right away. I doubt you'd find many teams in our current position to be pumping out players from the AHL. Some of the top teams do simply because their teams have had good depth to be able to hold decent players in the AHL to develop longer. This is the point where we want to get to starting in a couple years time. Patience is key and we need to trust the process. Ferland said that is something he wishes he told his younger self because development does take time for some players.

Absolutely have to respect the process. Our latest crop of young guys all went straight to the NHL, and there weren't really any young players in the lineup blocking them. Now we finally have some great NHL 1-4th year guys and a bit of AHL prospect depth and now we get to watch it all unfold.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

So we have Demko and Virtanen and a few players that have spent spot time in Utica. We also have had guys like Sautner and Brisebois who have been call ups, MacEwen as well.

We have just started restocking the cupboards (that were quite bare) and development takes time. Not everyone makes that leap right away. I doubt you'd find many teams in our current position to be pumping out players from the AHL. Some of the top teams do simply because their teams have had good depth to be able to hold decent players in the AHL to develop longer. This is the point where we want to get to starting in a couple years time. Patience is key and we need to trust the process. Ferland said that is something he wishes he told his younger self because development does take time for some players.

I understand you need to patient, but Utica hasn’t produce barely anything for us in their tenure.

Also what year are you in dude we’ve been drafting well for 5-6 years now seriously.

sautner Beezer and Big Mac has not proven they are ready for the next step...

48 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I understand you need to patient, but Utica hasn’t produce barely anything for us in their tenure.

Also what year are you in dude we’ve been drafting well for 5-6 years now seriously.

Probably because most of our prospects have been, and are, in junior, college or Europe (or are already in the NHL). It takes 2-3 + years for most of them to even arrive in Utica. We're only just now starting to see what Benning has built start showing up in Utica. Your only just seeing the crest of the wave.

As for your last point, that's where the patience is needed.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, shad0w4life said:

Since Boucher and Baer have been out of line up Lind went from 1 ppg to

Nov 1 - 0 Pts

Nov 2 - 0 pts

Nov 6 - 0 pts

Nov 8 - 1A on pp

Nov 9 - 0 pts

Nov 11 - 0 Pts

I watched those games and Lind’s play was fine, but he has little help in terms of finishing - he has been more of a playmaker than finisher so far in Utica, but he is generating chances.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Probably because most of our prospects have been, and are, in junior, college or Europe (or are already in the NHL). It takes 2-3 + years for most of them to even arrive in Utica. We're only just now starting to see what Benning has built start showing up in Utica. Your only just seeing the crest of the wave.

As for your last point, that's where the patience is needed.

To the best of my knowledge there are only 6 Canucks' draft picks playing in Utica. As you pointed out, most of our draft picks are playing elsewhere.

1. Juolevi

2. Lind

3. Gadjovich

4. Beisebois

5. Jasek

6. DiPietro

It is pretty difficult to point fingers at Utica for any of those players not yet playing in the NHL on a regular basis. Three or four of them may not be far off though.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dats hockey said:

Virtanen and Demko are with the big club groomed in Utica and they were drafted in the first draft year. Brisebois is coming along, but we have depth that is allowing him to marinate longer and Sautner was a undrafted player that we have groomed to be a decent call up depth. Lind and Gadjovich have improved since their 1st year as pros. MacEwen was an undrafted prospect who has taken great strides since joining Utica.

I'm not sure what the expectations are for Utica's development, but players have developed and still are and we have seen graduates. It's been 6 drafts and we have 6 players on the NHL roster drafted by Benning, two of which have gone through Utica (significant time). Many still in progress, many still to join, many are developing in other leagues but come to prospects camp and get instructions on what they need to work on. Of course some players simply don't pan out. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

The only person to spend a good bit of time A part of the comets other than our goalies is Jake Virtanen. You could argue Baer but you could easily argue against it

Gaunce

Shinkaruk

Corrado

Archibald

Biega

Jensen

Sauve

Dalpe

Schroeder

McEneny

Grenier

Pedan

Clendening

Hutton

Vey

Sautner

Zalewski

Chaput

Labate

Goldobin

Megna

Stetcher

Bouchier

MacEwen

Chatfield

Rodin

Gaudette

Brisebois

Diepietro

all played in Utica and have played at least some games with the Canucks

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Gaunce x

Shinkaruk x

Corrado x

Archibald x

Biega

Jensen x

Sauve x

Dalpe x

Schroeder x

McEneny x

Grenier x

Pedan x

Clendening x

Hutton

Vey x

Sautner x

Zalewski x

Chaput x

Labate x

Goldobin ( not even )

Megna

Stetcher literally like 5 games

Bouchier x

MacEwen x

Chatfield X

Rodin x

Gaudette barely any games

Brisebois x

Diepietro x

all played in Utica and have played at least some games with the Canucks

X mean didn’t make any kind of difference for the Canucks

Also I’m talking about Success coming out of Utica and translating to the NHL

11 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Yeah but you eventually need some of your picks outside of the first round going through your farm system to be successful. And the lack of success coming out of Utica translating to the NHL is disheartening 

That looks like 'some of" their picks outside of the first round to me.

39 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Moving the goals posts?

• Haha 1

Markstrom, Biega and Baertschi careers were made in Utica during Calder run under Green. Virtanen and Demko both made in Utica. Not many who came through and got a shot with Utica and played modestly for Canucks have turned into something for another team. Corrado and Clendening both moved on to play in the NHL some but were trade fodder. So it isn’t like we did something wrong and missed the boat on somebody who took off in the NHL after leaving us. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

And how many guys on that list were top tier prospects that 'should' make the NHL and stick for 200+ games?

The vast majority of that list were/are longer shots. The ones who weren't, are largely in, or on track for, the NHL.

That's not a 'failing' of Utica. That's the simple reality that most players don't make the NHL. And most of the 1st rounders who didn't make it weren't picked by the current regime and have done nothing since we moved on from them.

• Upvote 3

I know that this is probably premature but I would love to see Kole get a game in Vancouver this year.  He has been impressive this season so far.  I think the most impressive thing is his confidence and his ability to be an excellent pest (Something our team has lacked since Burrows in his heyday).  He is also showing a play making and scoring touch.  I see him being a good middle 6 RW.  I think it would be interesting to see him play up here and be that pest.  He may surprise some. B)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

There should be a comparison with Prospects that made it out of the NCAA. Our current best prospects are either NCAA or EU. I have higher hopes ( and this is just a personal opinion, not a fact)  for Hoglander than Lind 

11 hours ago, dpn1 said:

I know that this is probably premature but I would love to see Kole get a game in Vancouver this year.  He has been impressive this season so far.  I think the most impressive thing is his confidence and his ability to be an excellent pest (Something our team has lacked since Burrows in his heyday).  He is also showing a play making and scoring touch.  I see him being a good middle 6 RW.  I think it would be interesting to see him play up here and be that pest.  He may surprise some. B)

A play making pest hmmmm sounds just what the doctor order for Bo or Guad. :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 11/13/2019 at 9:07 AM, dpn1 said:

Let him develop properly wait until next season to give him a taste of big league.. 

He won't be able be a pest in NHL until he matures physically and has the game to back it up with.

Young raw rookies never be pests first couple of years in NHL. First develop his game then start being a pest when he can.. that part of game comes with time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I agree with the let him develop thought pattern.  He is doing very well but he needs grow more and do more.  When he grows into what he can be at the AHL level bring him up for a taste.  Then he can begin to grow into the next level.  

Kole does not need to be an NHL player next year to have an NHL career.  

• Upvote 2