The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

46 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Every time I see Lind doing well only reminds me of last season of those who suggested Utica can't develop prospects.

I was on the Utica can’t develop train last season cuz there wasn’t any evidence too support they could develop...plus the lack of ice time for Canuck prospects compared to the non Canucks on the Comets....it was just a dreadful frustrating Utica season for Canuck prospect watchers like myself.

Anywho it looks like the young Prospects got a shot of hard love and it’s paying off. So i’m a happy and a relieved fan.....I’m Just wanting the best for the young prospects.

totally happy Kole Lind has got his mojo working in the AHL.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I was on the Utica can’t develop train last season cuz there wasn’t any evidence too support they could develop...plus the lack of ice time for Canuck prospects compared to the non Canucks on the Comets....it was just a dreadful frustrating Utica season for Canuck prospect watchers like myself.

Anywho it looks like the young Prospects got a shot of hard love and it’s paying off. So i’m a happy and a relieved fan.....I’m Just wanting the best for the young prospects.

totally happy Kole Lind has got his mojo working in the AHL.

The only prospects that didn't make it through Utica were the ones that didn't want to put in the work to "develop" and just wanted to play their game thinking it was good enough. Demko went through the system and look at him now. Virtanen went through the system even though his first year was in Vancouver because they couldn't send him to Utica, but look at how his development has progressed through Green's watch. Brisebois has grown in his time there. Prior to last season, there weren't a lot of prospects going through the system as some went through college for 3-4 years after they were drafted or they stayed in their respective Euro leagues. We had more openings on a weak NHL roster for players to get earlier looks on the big club. Guys like Stecher and Gaudette got their cup of coffee in Utica and were good enough to stick in the NHL. We can't expect all players to be like this and for some it takes time to progress. If players were going to come in and blow the AHL out of the water, then there's not much "development" needed.

Even though Lind and Gadjovich had rough seasons last year, Lind looked to improve by the end of the season and carried forward to this year. Gadjovich had an early injury and fell behind, but has also progressed this season. Jasek left his euro league to join the team and has looked decent.

I personally have seen a history of development as explained above and didn't find it frustrating about the minutes because it's the process. Lind said himself that he had troubles adapting to start, you don't throw someone into the fire when they're not ready and we didn't.

I want the best for our prospects too, but it has to be understood that players take different paths to get to where they want to be. Benning has come out and said that he wants respect throughout the organization, so he wants players with character and management as well. Would be nice if the fanbase would follow and trust the process rather than run down everything. It's okay to be critical, but that doesn't mean everything has to be negative until it's not. Too often things are overlooked because it doesn't fit their pre conceived feelings towards the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

The only prospects that didn't make it through Utica were the ones that didn't want to put in the work to "develop" and just wanted to play their game thinking it was good enough. Demko went through the system and look at him now. Virtanen went through the system even though his first year was in Vancouver because they couldn't send him to Utica, but look at how his development has progressed through Green's watch. Brisebois has grown in his time there. Prior to last season, there weren't a lot of prospects going through the system as some went through college for 3-4 years after they were drafted or they stayed in their respective Euro leagues. We had more openings on a weak NHL roster for players to get earlier looks on the big club. Guys like Stecher and Gaudette got their cup of coffee in Utica and were good enough to stick in the NHL. We can't expect all players to be like this and for some it takes time to progress. If players were going to come in and blow the AHL out of the water, then there's not much "development" needed.

Even though Lind and Gadjovich had rough seasons last year, Lind looked to improve by the end of the season and carried forward to this year. Gadjovich had an early injury and fell behind, but has also progressed this season. Jasek left his euro league to join the team and has looked decent.

I personally have seen a history of development as explained above and didn't find it frustrating about the minutes because it's the process. Lind said himself that he had troubles adapting to start, you don't throw someone into the fire when they're not ready and we didn't.

I want the best for our prospects too, but it has to be understood that players take different paths to get to where they want to be. Benning has come out and said that he wants respect throughout the organization, so he wants players with character and management as well. Would be nice if the fanbase would follow and trust the process rather than run down everything. It's okay to be critical, but that doesn't mean everything has to be negative until it's not. Too often things are overlooked because it doesn't fit their pre conceived feelings towards the team.

First off the Utica staff showed little too zero over the last few years they where doing a good job. Jakes development has been a success?  The Jake V thread I guess supports his awesome development and stellar growth as a player. Goalie development as in Demko and Markstrom is totally different and should be looked at as the Goalie coach did a good job. To bad the Goalie coach didn’t coach the other positions. 

Its funny how people act like they know it all after hindsight.....its amusing and laughable.

Edited by HockeyHarry

1 minute ago, HockeyHarry said:

First off the Utica staff showed little too zero over the last few years they where doing a good job. Jakes development has been a success?  The Jake V thread I guess supports his awesome development and stellar growth as player. Goalie development as in Demko and Markstrom is totally different and should be looked at as the Goalie coach did a good job. To bad the Goalie coach didn’t coach the other positions. 

What prospects that went through the Utica system didn't develop? What defines a good job? This isn't like EA sports where a 60 rating player becomes a 85 rating player simply because they played a year or less on the farm team. Players take different paths and many of our drafted prospects haven't even gone through our system because of other commitments and they developed elsewhere which isn't a problem either (they likely got training tips and such when they came to the summer development camps).

I think Virtanen was headed on a path that wasn't going to be successful long term for him and they developed him into a player that could have a long career. So yes I call that a positive in his development.

Dahlen didn't want to try anything different to get him to the NHL. Palmu had some issues back in Finland that I don't know if it went against the team's character code and perhaps he was longer in the plans after that, but he was a 6th round overage pick, so a long shot to make it anyway. These are the prime examples I imagine people look at the most, but every other prospect that has gone through Utica and are committed to the team and work ethic has progressed.

Our high end prospects have simply been good enough to crack our rebuilding roster. This will change in the coming years as the team gets stronger and forces good players to steep in Utica. There is plenty of more depth coming.

• Cheers 1

Well up until this season Canucks development program looked well below advantage compared too other NHL teams. I would think Canucks prospects would of developed equally or better in any other NHLteam development and that wasn’t  good enough. Thank god this early season there is actual proof of progress.

its also funny how college players are quicker prepared then the AHL guys at the same age.

one huge Utica factor is the distance, being too far away too take advantage of sharing NHL Canuck team resources.

Edited by HockeyHarry

7 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Well up until this season Canucks development program looked well below advantage compared too other NHL teams. I would think Canucks prospects would of developed equally or better in any other NHLteam development and that wasn’t  good enough. Thank god this early season there is actual proof of progress.

one huge Utica factor is the distance, being too far away too take advantage of sharing NHL Canuck team resources.

5 years ago, we had no prospect pool. It's filtering in and the NHL team is building depth to keep guys back to develop now. Which prospects did we not develop?

If you're comparing to other teams, were they under similar circumstances or where they already in the position that we are heading towards now?

• Cheers 1

I think what needs to be taken into account, RE Utica's success in developing prospects, is the type of prospects being added to the blender. Hard to imagine Cole Cassels developing at a significantly higher level in another organization, or Frankie Corrado becoming a top 4 two way D-Man if he were drafted by Toronto. 

Also, lest we forget that certain prospects were developed BY Utica and utilized as assets for trade: Shinkaruk for Granlund, Pedan and change for Pouliot, Carcone for Leivo, just to name a few. Would this not be a testiment of successful development, or is success simply measured in point production?

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Some come here to sit and think

Others come here to sit and wonder

I come here to $hit and stink

and fart as loud as thunder!  :towel:

So your comparing Bathroom fun time too CDC all the time....the two are actually very much the same.

but most times on CDC the tp runs out.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, therodigy said:

I think what needs to be taken into account, RE Utica's success in developing prospects, is the type of prospects being added to the blender. Hard to imagine Cole Cassels developing at a significantly higher level in another organization, or Frankie Corrado becoming a top 4 two way D-Man if he were drafted by Toronto. 

Also, lest we forget that certain prospects were developed BY Utica and utilized as assets for trade: Shinkaruk for Granlund, Pedan and change for Pouliot, Carcone for Leivo, just to name a few. Would this not be a testiment of successful development, or is success simply measured in point production?

I think we should get credit for developing Antoine Roussel.  Three goals in two games since returning from Utica.  :towel:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2