The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

3 hours ago, naslund.is.king said:

As long as he keeps improving his stock only goes up.

One injury to Markstrom and not having Demko could cost us a season

Look at how Schneider and Demko were both handled as prospects coming up in the system. DiPietro is not ready yet and should be handled the exaxt same. 

Goaltending has been a strength in Vancouver for sometime now. We should not take that Strength forgranted 

I don't disagree with any of that, but this being an expansion year I'd prefer to gain an asset back and go with a temp backup until/if DiPietro is ready. 

I think I am missing something (or my comprehension level is dulled with the discussions over the 2 day pause) but are we suggesting that Lind be offered to Seattle to ensure they don't pick Demko?

Or is the suggestion that we offer Demko to them in order to save Lind?

(Just not sure why Demko discussion is in the Lind thread - trying to understand)

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2020 at 10:21 AM, naslund.is.king said:

As long as he keeps improving his stock only goes up.

One injury to Markstrom and not having Demko could cost us a season

Look at how Schneider and Demko were both handled as prospects coming up in the system. DiPietro is not ready yet and should be handled the exaxt same. 

Goaltending has been a strength in Vancouver for sometime now. We should not take that Strength forgranted 

Yeah I don’t get that amongst Canucks fans.  

Great goaltending is one of the hardest things to achieve in the league.  You can sign a superstar goalie and watch him underperform on a new team.  
For every Carey Price I can show you 10 highly goalies that never made it.  

I want to keep Marky and Demko as long as possible ! 

On 8/30/2020 at 9:33 AM, Robert Long said:

I don't see how we don't lose him thanks to expansion. If we move him this offseason at least we recover something. I have no doubt Seattle would pick him, even over Myers (if he's exposed).

Cant expose Myers unless he agrees to it thanks to his full NMC

Edited by warrchief

28 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Cant expose Myers unless he agrees to it thanks to his full NMC

I think he actually can be exposed under the terms of his modified clause. I don’t know the specifics of his contract terms, but I’ve seen this possibility mentioned by a couple people who are usually in the know on these things.

Regardless, I doubt he’s left unprotected, but I think we at least have the option.

8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he actually can be exposed under the terms of his modified clause. I don’t know the specifics of his contract terms, but I’ve seen this possibility mentioned by a couple people who are usually in the know on these things.

Regardless, I doubt he’s left unprotected, but I think we at least have the option.

Ah k, I do see it now. It goes from a NMC to a Modified NTC, then we can expose him. I thought he had two years of a NMC but I guess I am wrong. Smart of Benning to only give it for a year.

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah I don’t get that amongst Canucks fans.  

Great goaltending is one of the hardest things to achieve in the league.  You can sign a superstar goalie and watch him underperform on a new team.  
For every Carey Price I can show you 10 highly goalies that never made it.  

I want to keep Marky and Demko as long as possible ! 

Because if we do extend Marky, Demko isn't just going to sit around, backing up for 4+/- years. He's going to want a shot at being a starter. If that's not here...

There's also the SEA ED to consider.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Because if we do extend Marky, Demko isn't just going to sit around, backing up for 4+/- years. He's going to want a shot at being a starter. If that's not here...

There's also the SEA ED to consider.

Fair enough, but that's a bridge for us to cross next year.  Demko's signed with us for now and Marky's our MVP this season.  We've seen Demko get injured very often over the last few seasons and he's not a proven starter yet.  Putting all our eggs in that basket just makes no sense.  Who knows, Marky might just sign a 2 year bridge deal hoping that the cap will go up after covid. 

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Fair enough, but that's a bridge for us to cross next year.  Demko's signed with us for now and Marky's our MVP this season.  We've seen Demko get injured very often over the last few seasons and he's not a proven starter yet.  Putting all our eggs in that basket just makes no sense.  Who knows, Marky might just sign a 2 year bridge deal hoping that the cap will go up after covid. 

Next offseason, whichever goalie we plan to move, their value will plummet with the ED. If we're thinking to move one, it's this offseason IMO. And to be fair, Demko likely deserves that shot to at least be a 1A/1B next year (if not a bonafide 60 game 'starter').

Either way, we'll be signing a vet and still have a solid tandem, with a one year further experienced MDP as our third, so I don't see that as a big concern. No baskets or eggs.

This is likely Markstrom's first and last 'big' contact. We may get him at a bit of a hometown discount, but he's not likely signing a 2 year deal.

Edited by aGENT

I think we can safely try to get rid of a couple vets and open a regular spot for Lind and MacEwan next season.

I would like them to get experience before also needing to filter in Podkolzin and Hoglander into the mix.

Roussel and one of Beagle or Sutter can be moved on if possible.  I would probably sign Leivo as cheap depth.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I think we can safely try to get rid of a couple vets and open a regular spot for Lind and MacEwan next season.

I would like them to get experience before also needing to filter in Podkolzin and Hoglander into the mix.

Roussel and one of Beagle or Sutter can be moved on if possible.  I would probably sign Leivo as cheap depth.

Can Lind make Gaud expendable?  I might take some heat here....

Im a big fan of Gaudette, i used to tune into his college games just to watch him play.  I was excited when he came here.  

He turns 24 next month .  He looks like he is in over his head at centre.  He struggled defensively even at wing.  Can he offer the team more than what we have seen?  Keep in mind that he is older than Brock and same age as Jake.

He has decent pedigree and is fairly young, can the team move him as a sweetner to unload a contract like Baertschi? give Lind a shot at his spot?  Lind had a bit of a nasty streak in Junior, we need more of that element.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

I'm really curious to see what Lind does in the coming season, whatever that season ends up looking like. Being around the guys during the playoffs, practicing with NHL pros and getting NHL level coaching and pointers, perhaps it helps him take the next step? 

Edited by Coconuts

Kole Lind I'm going to assume based on Benning saying 

"Why isn't anyone talking about Kole Lind?" 

had him ranked in the 1st round 100% sure about this.  I'm also certain we wouldn't rank him in the first round if they didn't believe he can be an offensive top 6 player.

hoping Lind can be an consistent offensive pesky winger like Riley Smith of the Knights.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:59 PM, aGENT said:

Next offseason, whichever goalie we plan to move, their value will plummet with the ED. If we're thinking to move one, it's this offseason IMO. And to be fair, Demko likely deserves that shot to at least be a 1A/1B next year (if not a bonafide 60 game 'starter').

Either way, we'll be signing a vet and still have a solid tandem, with a one year further experienced MDP as our third, so I don't see that as a big concern. No baskets or eggs.

This is likely Markstrom's first and last 'big' contact. We may get him at a bit of a hometown discount, but he's not likely signing a 2 year deal.

I disagree that a players stock would drop because of the ED.

If Demko has success next season to the point where he is considered a bonafide high-end starter and a few team's want to trade for him then the ED draft is irrelevant imo. Why would teams covet a player but feel that because he will get picked by Seattle it somehow makes his value less? The end result would still see them lose out on Demko either way. Benning will either get the price he wants or he makes a deal with Seattle. There will be a lot of options in net for them to choose from so I'm sure Benning could get a side deal done. 

Just my 2 cents.