The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kole Lind | RW

Canucksin2013

1 hour ago, Derp... said:

Anyone know why he wasn't invited to team Canada camp in the summer?

Would seem like a logical choice given his birthday, and speed/scoring ability.

Not sure but he is on pretty well ever consensus list I have seen for the WJC 2018 team.

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Am I missing something? This kid looks like an absolute steal at 33. More than a point-per-game, not small, and younger than most players in the draft.

And he plays a hard, physical game.  He looks really good, and potentially a top six guy.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Am I missing something? This kid looks like an absolute steal at 33. More than a point-per-game, not small, and younger than most players in the draft.

Nah, you're not missing anything but I would say he went basically right where he should have. 33 is basically still in the first round. I think these highly talented North/South players tend to go a little later due to the lack of dynamics in their game.

That being said, great pickup.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

There were concerns he was being carried by Soustal and Dube (spent time with both pivots) and that Merkley was the true play driver beside him.

As well, some thought he had "compete" issues.

I am shocked he fell really, the guy is solid.  A joy watching him in kelowna really.  

Kinda hoping we can snag Merkley from the Yotes or find a way to get Nolan  Foote in 2019 now.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, logic said:

Best draft for Benning so far, at least one of Lind and Gadjovich will be a solid NHLer

Definitely seems like pretty good odds we'll get some good NHLers out of this draft.

Both Lind and Gadjovich are great value at their draft positions.

And the numbers love these picks. Canucks Army's pGPS model has each of them with better than 40% chances of becoming NHL players with an average of over 40 points/82 NHL GP.

Lind and Gadjovich were also tied at 15th in SEAL adjusted* scoring rates among all 2017 draft eligibles: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Dv7FLb8uIQ1r1KX454ZdcTd3ZRGtfe2RBb271y_PdI8/htmlview

And, of course, Pettersson is ranked 1st in SEAL adjusted points/GP.

Definitely nice to get three of the top-15 offensive producers in the draft (at least according to SEAL adjusted numbers) with picks 5, 33, and 55.

*Note: here's an article on SEAL adjusted numbers

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's older than most in the draft, will turn 19 in October.

Edited by MattJVD
Added comma

Love this pick quite a lot. Broke out this year with Kelowna in a big way and didnt disappoint. Good puck handler, vision, playmaker, IQ is solid as hell and knows where to be positionally in both ends of the ice. Excited to see how he fits in in the future!

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

There were concerns he was being carried by Soustal and Dube (spent time with both pivots) and that Merkley was the true play driver beside him.

As well, some thought he had "compete" issues.

I am shocked he fell really, the guy is solid.  A joy watching him in kelowna really.  

Kinda hoping we can snag Merkley from the Yotes or find a way to get Nolan  Foote in 2019 now.  

Nolan would be a sweet pickup. Kids got superstar written all over him. 

Listening to Trevs comments they were obviously extremely high on Kole Lind and in one of the interviews it also seemed that they suggested that there was an attempt to move into the middle of the first round which would lead me to think they also liked Foote. Two great players out of Kelowna so I'm glad we got one anyways! 

1 minute ago, Sandro17 said:

IDK guys, him being a first liner might be a stretch. He's more likely to be a high tier second liner IMO or fringe first. At the worst, a very good 3rd line scorer.

For a second rd pick that's still pretty damn good.

Middle six forward that can play up and down the lineup seems like a realistic projection.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Kelowna mainly produces D-men, but has produced some incredible forwards too (Benn). Looked to be rated as a late 1st rounder. Solid pick. Our RW prospects are looking good. 

Leon Draisaitl ;)

Mikael Backlund

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Swedish elite3 said:

Certainly happy with this pick. I've watched him play lots when the rockets are in kamloops and he definitely stands out. Cal Foote on the other hand went far too high IMO. I'll be watching Kole closely when the rockets visit Kamloops and will try to give fresh updates after games 

Agreed. I have watched Cal Foote in PG at all the games played here and was fairly unimpressed. He was alright, but watching players like Guhle and Juulsen who are lower picks in deeper drafts Cal Foote isn't even close to that caliber. Not even a little.

• Upvote 1