The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

7 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Is Gadjovich hurt? Hasn't been in the Comets' line up since the season started.

Ryan Johnson was on Sportsnet 650 saying how he wants to shelter the young kids (Gadjovich, Lind, Palmu, Jasek) because having a line of 19/20/21 year olds in the AHL is a recipe for disaster, according to him.

But it is a little concerning. Gadjovich should be playing and he hasn't played yet. Palmu and Jasek are a little older than Lind/Gadjovich so they're going to get into the lineup before those two most likely.

There are two options for Gadjovich if he can't crack the Comets roster. 1 -- He goes down to Kalamazoo and plays top line minutes or 2 -- He goes back to the OHL for his overage season. Gadjovich's contract slides if he goes back, if I'm not mistaken. Lind's doesn't.

The lineup in Utica should thin out in a week or two when the ECHL season starts up and guys are sent down. Though it's not ideal, I feel like spending time in Kalamzoo playing against men will be better for Jonah over another year in the OHL. Hopefully by midseason, in this scenario, Gadjovich can make the Utica lineup because of injuries/callups/experience.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I'm so tired of this "sheltering" philosophy. These aren't little kids we're talking about, they're professionals. If they're not ready for this league, send them to another one. You're not gonna know that unless you play them though.

Gadjovich, Lind, and Palmu were stars for their teams last season. They know about pressure. I feel like management is treating them as if they're way more fragile than they are.

Yeah, or maybe Ryan Johnson/ Trent Cull know what they're  talking about

Edited by BlastPast
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Yeah, or maybe Ryan Johnson/ Trent Cull know what they're  talking about

Based on what? Being a rookie GM and coach?

Sorry but we've tried "sheltering" players before. All it does is lead to the same result as throwing them in the deep end. They lose confidence.

There is a middle ground between sheltering and putting them in situations they're not ready for. Travis Green has figured that one out, hopefully Johnson and Cull will too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sorry but we've tried "sheltering" players before. All it does is lead to the same result as throwing them in the deep end. They lose confidence.

There is a middle ground between sheltering and putting them in situations they're not ready for. Travis Green has figured that one out, hopefully Johnson and Cull will too.

Exactly.  Play the kids, and see what they've got.  If they don't have what it takes, or look like it's not going to happen for them, move on.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Play the kids, and see what they've got.  If they don't have what it takes, or look like it's not going to happen for them, move on.  

For sure.

I think the more important thing for them to tell the players is that it's okay to make mistakes in the AHL. It's a learning league where they're going to have setbacks, but they'll be able to learn from them.

If they're not going to even give them the opportunity to fail, they're depriving them of any sort of opportunity to grow as players. They need to be reminded that while winning is important, the ultimate goal is to help players develop into the best they can be. You can't do that without some adversity along the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Some players have been sheltered to some degree and some haven't, with varying measures of success.  I think it's important to have a dynamic strategy and not to apply a blanket approach to every player.  Not everyone is Brock or Elias, some absolutely need to be brought along more gradually.

Regarding your other point ; while being a veteran coach or relatively green executive don't make someone the ultimate authority I would say their collective experience in the game does make their opinion relevant and worthy of consideration. I certainly wouldn't refute it without a good case.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Can anyone who's been keeping up with the Comets comment on how Gadjovich has looked in his limited role?

Specifically is his speed a big flaw in his game? 

To be honest he has been so unnoticeable when he has played that it is difficult to critique his play.  The puck is hardly ever on his stick.

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

To be honest he has been so unnoticeable when he has played that it is difficult to critique his play.  The puck is hardly ever on his stick.

Ya the games I watched you only heard his name a few times the entire game. He's just chasing the game the entire time when you look out for him. Whether it's slow skating or what he's just not that involved in the play

• Upvote 1

Gadjovich played last night, and with all the injuries and call-ups should be in the lineup for some time. I actually had to watch for him as he does nothing to stand out. the speed of the game is simply too fast for him at this time.

He is not the only youngster having that problem, Palmu and Dahlen are also not up to speed. 

Gadjovich is just slow and no acceleration in his skating. hardly touches the puck and when he does he usually turns it over or gets rid of it. At this point, he is the worst of the youngsters. Definitely a long-term project. hopefully, he starts using his size, but seems to not wanna engage anyone. does not play and special teams, but no surprise there. for me the most disappointing prospect this year.

Edited by Connor comet

Gadjovich might struggle from the same thing keeping Gaunce from being a full time NHLer. Speed. Bullying kids in the CHL isn't the same as playing against grown men in the A that know you are a young guy with NHL dreams in your eyes. If he can't find another gear he may end up being another Archibald, which isn't bad. Playing pro hockey, even if it's the AHL, is nothing to scoff at. But obviously we are hoping he can be more.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Gadjovich might struggle from the same thing keeping Gaunce from being a full time NHLer. Speed. Bullying kids in the CHL isn't the same as playing against grown men in the A that know you are a young guy with NHL dreams in your eyes. If he can't find another gear he may end up being another Archibald, which isn't bad. Playing pro hockey, even if it's the AHL, is nothing to scoff at. But obviously we are hoping he can be more.

Skating is an issue with Gadjovich and pro speed simply makes it stand out even more. The aspect of his game that always impressed me was his reading of the play and being in the right position. Using his size in junior worked well but again in pro that impact is more challenging. He is young and I am sure he will work it out. 

A couple weeks ago the Comets had so many forwards that 4 or 5 were being scratched every game. Well between injuries and call ups that issue is gone and they only had one healthy scratch last night. That healthy scratch was Gadjovich which tells you about the state of his game right now.

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

A couple weeks ago the Comets had so many forwards that 4 or 5 were being scratched every game. Well between injuries and call ups that issue is gone and they only had one healthy scratch last night. That healthy scratch was Gadjovich which tells you about the state of his game right now.

From what I could see in preseason, he's got hands of stone and his hockey IQ isn't what you would call "off the charts". His skating has certainly improved but he always needs to keep it simple. He should be using the time he's getting now to work on his stick handling and shot if he's going to make it. His skating is average at the NHL level so it won't hold him back too much. He could be pretty deadly as a net front presence on the PP.

7 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

From what I could see in preseason, he's got hands of stone and his hockey IQ isn't what you would call "off the charts". His skating has certainly improved but he always needs to keep it simple. He should be using the time he's getting now to work on his stick handling and shot if he's going to make it. His skating is average at the NHL level so it won't hold him back too much. He could be pretty deadly as a net front presence on the PP.

Hands are not the issue; it's entirely speed. He's a step behind which was what everyone thought when he was drafted; otherwise he would have been a first round pick with his stats. He's a project and will take a couple years. By the end of this year, he should be able to contribute on the COmets 4th Line. Possibly next year, he will be able to move up the lineup a bit. With all these guys (Lind, Gadj, Jasek, Palmu, Juolevi, Dahlen) the organizations and fanbase need to have some patience. I see this turning around by Christmas time. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

Hands are not the issue; it's entirely speed. He's a step behind which was what everyone thought when he was drafted; otherwise he would have been a first round pick with his stats. He's a project and will take a couple years. By the end of this year, he should be able to contribute on the COmets 4th Line. Possibly next year, he will be able to move up the lineup a bit. With all these guys (Lind, Gadj, Jasek, Palmu, Juolevi, Dahlen) the organizations and fanbase need to have some patience. I see this turning around by Christmas time. 

It's not speed. He's not going to be blowing by defenders etc, he's not going to be creating plays. His passes were not up to par at all and he couldn't stick handle the puck at all. He always looked like the puck was handcuffing him. I disagree about speed being the issue, he was able to keep up for the most part. I'm not saying we should give up on him. I like him, and I think he could be a valuable piece moving forward especially as a net front presence on the PP. From what I've seen his ceiling would be a Scottie Hartnell. Not bad.

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

He scored 45 goals the year he was drafted, his shot his IQ and his positioning in front of the net is all fine it's his skating that will need work.  There was a reason he fell to late in the second round despite scoring that many goals.  Being older than most draft eligible players that year and more mature, he will have that much less time to be able to correct his skating.  His skating was hardly above average in Junior, let alone the NHL.  

His shot was fine for Juniors and he was a man among boys where all he needed to do was plug himself in front of the net and cleanup. That's where most of his goals came from. That's his bread and butter. He was average in terms of skating compared to his peers, he didn't lag too far behind. It was an issue last year in junior but he worked on it and there was a dramatic improvement.