The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

20 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

From what I could see in preseason, he's got hands of stone and his hockey IQ isn't what you would call "off the charts". His skating has certainly improved but he always needs to keep it simple. He should be using the time he's getting now to work on his stick handling and shot if he's going to make it. His skating is average at the NHL level so it won't hold him back too much. He could be pretty deadly as a net front presence on the PP.

Right now Zack MacEwen has the role of net front presence on the PP and is way ahead of Gadjo on the hockey IQ chart.  Once the Comets and Canucks get more healthy an assignment to KZoo could be the best thing for him.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Right now Zack MacEwen has the role of net front presence on the PP and is way ahead of Gadjo on the hockey IQ chart.  Once the Comets and Canucks get more healthy an assignment to KZoo could be the best thing for him.

Might be the best thing for him. Hopefully he's using the practice time wisely and if he gets down to the ECHL to get some more icetime that would not be the worst thing. He's a project for sure. Nothing wrong with that.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

how is that going to fix speed?  

That's probably got to wait till the off season. But fixing the things that he can do. Hitting, getting his nose dirty. Being a force where he can. Johnson was the perfect checker and probably could help.

3 hours ago, Dannydog said:

Does he look that out of place that Kzoo is the better option for him? just wondering if a lot of his issues are his foot speed. Being a step behind may exasperate his other skills a bit more.

Well he seems to be the guy getting scratched a lot. Management probably didn’t see something like this happpening when they made the decision of turning all these guys pro. I think Kzoo would definitely benefit Gadj just for the simple fact that he’d be playing 17+ minutes every game and on the #1 PP. Benching 19 year olds is never good for their development.

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well he seems to be the guy getting scratched a lot. Management probably didn’t see something like this happpening when they made the decision of turning all these guys pro. I think Kzoo would definitely benefit Gadj just for the simple fact that he’d be playing 17+ minutes every game and on the #1 PP. Benching 19 year olds is never good for their development.

I have high hopes for Gadjovich, I hope he gets his skating up to speed. That won't happen if he's riding the pine in Utica

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Especially when the AHL is supposedly a developmental league, and we own the friggin’ team.  Play the kids, and sit the older guys.  Let’s develop our youth by giving them experience.  Maybe the coach there needs a kick in pants, or to be replaced?

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

It’s a earl days and having a lighter game schedule for a player transitioning from jr to pro isn’t all bad. 

Like you said MacEwan is ahead of him on the team and So is Archie. 

This leads Gads into a defensive assignment and his speed and IQ aren’t there yet at this level. 

Confidence is made to be broken and broken to be made. He has time, we have time. 

He is late Second rounder and I kinda think we already stole that draft so wgaf?  

I am super stoked to get MacEwan up to the show. Would love for him to spend some time around Rousell and Beagle. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Especially when the AHL is supposedly a developmental league, and we own the friggin’ team.  Play the kids, and sit the older guys.  Let’s develop our youth by giving them experience.  Maybe the coach there needs a kick in pants, or to be replaced?

Jay Beagle has championship rings from the ECHL, AHL and NHL. There is nothing wrong with Gadjovich going down to the Zoo and developing some confidence. Right now he just looks lost. Plus none of us knows how he looks in practice which could also be influencing playing decisions.

4 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Jay Beagle has championship rings from the ECHL, AHL and NHL. There is nothing wrong with Gadjovich going down to the Zoo and developing some confidence. Right now he just looks lost. Plus none of us knows how he looks in practice which could also be influencing playing decisions.

Christ! What happened to Gads? Didn't he have a good camp? Has he regressed? I was hoping that he could have come up and provided his heavy game and another good net front presence. I think Beagle could really accelerate his development.

39 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Just play all our kids in their proper roles.  That’s what the Comets are for.  

34 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

Is the ECHL a stronger league than the OHL. Gadj dominated in the Ohl therefore will gain nothing playing 20 min in Kalamazoo over a 4th llne role in utica.

The ECHL is definitely a stronger league than the OHL, just look at the stats from Dane Fox. In his final year in the OHL Fox had 107 points in 67 games. His first year in the ECHL he had 45 points in 70 games.

I definitely don't think it's the end of the world if Gadjovich goes to ECHL this season. There is still a lot he can learn there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

The ECHL is definitely a stronger league than the OHL, just look at the stats from Dane Fox. In his final year in the OHL Fox had 107 points in 67 games. His first year in the ECHL he had 45 points in 70 games.

I definitely don't think it's the end of the world if Gadjovich goes to ECHL this season. There is still a lot he can learn there.

That sounds like good news for Gadj if thats the case then

Before the season started I said I expected around 3 years of development for him before he would seriously challenge for a permanent spot. I think the main reason for that will be increasing the speed of his decision making with some other factors involved too. 

In the OHL, there wasn't much any defender could do once he planted himself in front of the net. If Gadjovich wanted to engage physically in any situation, there weren't too many people who could match him. That's not the case anymore and he's going to have to learn how to be effective while he's not physically dominant. That can be tough when that's the only way you've played for so long. He'll also get stronger and stronger over time to the point where he probably will be one of the stronger guys again, but that'll take time. In the meantime, he's going to have to adjust. 

Another thing is that Gadjovich was playing with Suzuki in the Owen Sound, who was the play driver of that line. Suzuki was the one holding on to the puck, finding teammates and creating scoring chances. All Gadjovich had to do was play his role in front of the net (which he excelled in) and he was guaranteed to be a big part of their offence. Now there's not really an AHL equivalent to Suzuki for Gadjovich to play with who can drive the play and let Gadjovich worry about his specific role. Again, it's something that will take some time to get used to after doing it differently for so long.

Overall, I hope Gadjovich can carve out a spot in the Comet's bottom-6 by the end of the year. Just be a regular on the team. 

11 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Before the season started I said I expected around 3 years of development for him before he would seriously challenge for a permanent spot. I think the main reason for that will be increasing the speed of his decision making with some other factors involved too. 

In the OHL, there wasn't much any defender could do once he planted himself in front of the net. If Gadjovich wanted to engage physically in any situation, there weren't too many people who could match him. That's not the case anymore and he's going to have to learn how to be effective while he's not physically dominant. That can be tough when that's the only way you've played for so long. He'll also get stronger and stronger over time to the point where he probably will be one of the stronger guys again, but that'll take time. In the meantime, he's going to have to adjust. 

Another thing is that Gadjovich was playing with Suzuki in the Owen Sound, who was the play driver of that line. Suzuki was the one holding on to the puck, finding teammates and creating scoring chances. All Gadjovich had to do was play his role in front of the net (which he excelled in) and he was guaranteed to be a big part of their offence. Now there's not really an AHL equivalent to Suzuki for Gadjovich to play with who can drive the play and let Gadjovich worry about his specific role. Again, it's something that will take some time to get used to after doing it differently for so long.

Overall, I hope Gadjovich can carve out a spot in the Comet's bottom-6 by the end of the year. Just be a regular on the team. 

Good post, I agree. Many fans writing this kid off way to quickly. Yes, he was a big body in the OHL but that was not the only reason he was a success. He had a solid WJC and that is against the best under 20's. Give him some time.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't be the worst idea to send Gads and Palmu down the K zoo for a little stint to get the mojo going again.  Gardiner got 5 points in 6 games down there.  Gaud for 4 in 4 in his AHL stint.  The shock of getting sent down seems to have done wonders for Gaunce.  Etc.   Neither of the pair have a point and they are great friends.  An adventure might be just what the doctor ordered.  

Edited by TGT68
  • Upvote 2