The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

9 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Agree that he needs to play.

And most 4th liners really need to be able to produce offense in the minors and have a decent skill level, if not the NHL pace and level of skill will just be too much to handle.

See the difference in the play of Gaunce, Gaudette, Archibald etc. when comparing their time in the AHL/NHL (Gaudette may be a 2-3C but point is still valid). 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Just play him in Utica.  It’s our Canuck’s development team.  Play the kid, and let’s see what we’ve got.  

I agree, I understand having a competitive team, but why play guys like Darcy and Arseneau over Canucks property. Kids need to play to grow and when you have a back to back why not switch things up. My ideal Utica lineup would be

Dahlen-Gaudette-Lind

Gadjovich-Kero-MacEwen

Gaunce-Hamilton-Boucher

Bancks-Jasek-Pyatt

Let the young guys play and when you need a vet put him in.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I agree, I understand having a competitive team, but why play guys like Darcy and Arseneau over Canucks property. Kids need to play to grow and when you have a back to back why not switch things up. My ideal Utica lineup would be

Dahlen-Gaudette-Lind

Gadjovich-Kero-MacEwen

Gaunce-Hamilton-Boucher

Bancks-Jasek-Pyatt

Let the young guys play and when you need a vet put him in.

JB needs to kick some a$$ down in Utica. Play him or get another coach. If they wont play him they need to send him down a notch so he can play all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 6:52 AM, vannuck59 said:

JB needs to kick some a$$ down in Utica. Play him or get another coach. If they wont play him they need to send him down a notch so he can play all the time.

I think Benning needs a serious talk with Ryan Johnson and Trent Cull. I get they want to make the playoffs and get more revenue. But the parent club is footing the bill. 

Having prospects playing for the team and getting healthy scratched, and or reduced minutes is not helping their development. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It's about player development.  The kid is not earning his ice time.  Veteran players are needed for leadership and to keep the team competitive so they're not getting the crap kicked out of them every night.  There is nothing so demoralizing as losing every game.  Veterans also set the bar for the kids to aspire to.  Gifting ice time does nothing for development.  If Gadjovich isn't getting ice, he should be in a lower league, junior if they have room for an over ager or ECHL.  

Funny, was having the same arguments with the Canucks a couple of years ago wrt guys like Boucher and Archie

It is not about revenue.  Ownership has been willing to bury salaries like Gagner (3.1) and Pyatt (1.1)

Players need to compete for ice time.  That’s a given.  However, Utica is our farm team.  Farm equals grow, right?  JG and our young guys who are already physically mature don’t need to be uprooted and moved to a different field.  They need to be farmed where they are.  

Put JG on the ice in the role he’s going to play up here.  Play the crap out of him.  Either he’s got it, or he doesn’t.  How many years did we try to farm Archie in this same role?  Either JG has what it takes, or he’s another Archie.  Can’t find out though unless he’s given opportunity.  

JG is a man, and has been for a couple years.  He’s not baby face, who still has growing to do.  

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

It's about player development.  The kid is not earning his ice time.  Veteran players are needed for leadership and to keep the team competitive so they're not getting the crap kicked out of them every night.  There is nothing so demoralizing as losing every game.  Veterans also set the bar for the kids to aspire to.  Gifting ice time does nothing for development.  If Gadjovich isn't getting ice, he should be in a lower league, junior if they have room for an over ager or ECHL.  

Funny, was having the same arguments with the Canucks a couple of years ago wrt guys like Boucher and Archie

It is not about revenue.  Ownership has been willing to bury salaries like Gagner (3.1) and Pyatt (1.1)

Exactly, who wants players thinking entitlement is all they need

or are playing above their skill at the moment (push yourself harder like Bo did)

Do not even think NHL, if you can't do whats expected of you on its farm teams

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Upvote 2

It's also pretty ignorant to think the same type of thought processes on training will work for every prospect. It's been talked about before, but the disconnect with players and what they're expected to do (Palmu, Virtanen, and further back, Kassian) should be addressed if it hasn't already been. Should look at how to get the most out of your players than saying something and expecting them to interpret what you mean.

Edited by Psycho_Path
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

The best comments I've heard about Gadjovich is by Cory Hergott ( Canucks Army ) today on 650 who summed up this kid this way. He comes from Junior hockey where his size and the strength allowed him to overwhelm younger players. He can no longer do that in the AHL where many are bigger and stronger than he is. So he has to rethink his game, plus … plus  his first 3 steps are not AHL quick enough. Time will tell if he can make those adjustment but if he can't get up to AHL quickness .. it makes NHL a dream. Fingers crossed

This guy from Canuck’s army is partly right.  Jonah is physically already a man, and is strong enough to battle with other men.  JG needs to be put into games, and told to play the role he will on the Canucks.  Fight, instigate, do damage.  It’s pointless expecting him to play any other way.  Play him, or trade him now, while there is still value.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The best comments I've heard about Gadjovich is by Cory Hergott ( Canucks Army ) today on 650 who summed up this kid this way. He comes from Junior hockey where his size and the strength allowed him to overwhelm younger players. He can no longer do that in the AHL where many are bigger and stronger than he is. So he has to rethink his game, plus … plus  his first 3 steps are not AHL quick enough. Time will tell if he can make those adjustment but if he can't get up to AHL quickness .. it makes NHL a dream. Fingers crossed

Aside from the comments from Palmu, this is one of the reasons I think the Canucks prospects are in good hands in Utica.  The Canucks seem to be willing to address players as they are and to give them time to work on their weaknesses.  It's of course distressing when players aren't dressed or aren't getting much playing time, but it doesn't seem unfair to give young guys time to work on weak parts of their game while gaining some (if limited) exposure to the pro game.  It does sound better than throwing guys to the wolves and hoping that they figure it out themselves.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Aside from the comments from Palmu, this is one of the reasons I think the Canucks prospects are in good hands in Utica.  The Canucks seem to be willing to address players as they are and to give them time to work on their weaknesses.  It's of course distressing when players aren't dressed or aren't getting much playing time, but it doesn't seem unfair to give young guys time to work on weak parts of their game while gaining some (if limited) exposure to the pro game.  It does sound better than throwing guys to the wolves and hoping that they figure it out themselves.

They are 4th in the Conference so I am getting excited for a deep Calder run. 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Players need to compete for ice time.  That’s a given.  However, Utica is our farm team.  Farm equals grow, right?  JG and our young guys who are already physically mature don’t need to be uprooted and moved to a different field.  They need to be farmed where they are.  

Put JG on the ice in the role he’s going to play up here.  Play the crap out of him.  Either he’s got it, or he doesn’t.  How many years did we try to farm Archie in this same role?  Either JG has what it takes, or he’s another Archie.  Can’t find out though unless he’s given opportunity.  

JG is a man, and has been for a couple years.  He’s not baby face, who still has growing to do.  

Playing lots and being dominated will damage a players confidence whether they are physically mature or not.  The coaching staff in Utica know what they're doing.  Archie does very well at the AHL level but is lacking something at the NHL level.  The Canucks tried for years to make it happen.  Same with Gaunce.  Some players can never make the jump.

You know, people have been dumping on the Oilers lately for not being able to draft any players beyond the 1st round.  I think that their development program is the issue.  Only players who would have made it on their own have made it.  You've heard about putting players in a position to succeed?  That's what they need to do.  It's a fine line, you have to challenge young players but not have them over matched in a way that damages their confidence.  Sometimes, a bit of trial and error is required.  

14 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Playing lots and being dominated will damage a players confidence whether they are physically mature or not.  The coaching staff in Utica know what they're doing.  Archie does very well at the AHL level but is lacking something at the NHL level.  The Canucks tried for years to make it happen.  Same with Gaunce.  Some players can never make the jump.

You know, people have been dumping on the Oilers lately for not being able to draft any players beyond the 1st round.  I think that their development program is the issue.  Only players who would have made it on their own have made it.  You've heard about putting players in a position to succeed?  That's what they need to do.  It's a fine line, you have to challenge young players but not have them over matched in a way that damages their confidence.  Sometimes, a bit of trial and error is required.  

not many 16-17 year olds come in and dominate in Jr either, this is the same situation.  His projection is still the same, he just has to grow into it naturally.  I feel that by next year, he will be a regular contributor in utica.

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

not many 16-17 year olds come in and dominate in Jr either, this is the same situation.  His projection is still the same, he just has to grow into it naturally.  I feel that by next year, he will be a regular contributor in utica.

i think there is some chance he may develop noticeably in the second half of the season

he appears to have the work ethic

but i think the true test is what he does over the next off season

and how he looks in training camp and pre season next year

he can attempt to increase he speed and initial steps similar to what bo did if he works on it

but not all can be bo

bo knows hockey :P

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 2