The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

54 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Gadjovich up to 6 goals in 13 games.  Had 4 goals in 43 games last season.

Gadjovich is on a strong pace, but in this game he also some good hits and made things tough on the end boards and in front of the opposition net.  Last year he looked like a big, slow kid, he is getting his man’s body now, and he is much stronger and more co-ordinated. He is a handful now ans able to rough house and gain position against defenders that are big and strong like him. Just part of a big boy growing into a man - he will be good this year, but better yet next year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Gadjovich is on a strong pace, but in this game he also some good hits and made things tough on the end boards and in front of the opposition net.  Last year he looked like a big, slow kid, he is getting his man’s body now, and he is much stronger and more co-ordinated. He is a handful now ans able to rough house and gain position against defenders that are big and strong like him. Just part of a big boy growing into a man - he will be good this year, but better yet next year. 

How has his skating looked. It seems like the biggest hurdle he's going to have to get over to be an NHL player

5 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

How has his skating looked. It seems like the biggest hurdle he's going to have to get over to be an NHL player

His skating has much improved over last year - which enables him to get in some big hits, but I think he has a ways to go to be an NHL skater. That said, he is like a lot of big guys that take a while to adjust to having a man’s rather than a boy’s physique - he just looks way more co-ordinated this year. Who knows where he will be at by season end? He is deadly from 20 feet in.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Something tells me that he's better prepared to play pro hockey this year and maybe, just maybe, it wasn't all Cull keeping him from playing to his potential last year.

I wonder why he's more prepared this year. Probably because Utica had a plan in place for his development. Go figure.

Lind has said it was a tough transition from juniors. The development in Utica seems just fine. The ones that didn't want to tough it out bolted. Hopefully for those that did bolt that heading to their respective leagues was the right choice for their growth. I think players can develop elsewhere, but that isn't a knock on Utica's development program.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I wonder why he's more prepared this year. Probably because Utica had a plan in place for his development. Go figure.

Lind has said it was a tough transition from juniors. The development in Utica seems just fine. The ones that didn't want to tough it out bolted. Hopefully for those that did bolt that heading to their respective leagues was the right choice for their growth. I think players can develop elsewhere, but that isn't a knock on Utica's development program.

Lind has really adjusted well, plays well and confident now to make moves in traffic - continuing to improve, so interesting where he’ll be at by year’s end.  Good with puck and quick to reposition his feet to set up for shooting, puck protection, and getting his hips turned to better take a hit.

• Cheers 1

On 12/13/2019 at 9:27 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

His skating has much improved over last year - which enables him to get in some big hits, but I think he has a ways to go to be an NHL skater. That said, he is like a lot of big guys that take a while to adjust to having a man’s rather than a boy’s physique - he just looks way more co-ordinated this year. Who knows where he will be at by season end? He is deadly from 20 feet in.

Agree with you @Ray_Cathode his skating is much improved but he still has a ways to go before he can be an effective NHL player. But he is improving and must be working hard so those are always good signs. 

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Gadjovich pots his twelfth, tying Lind in goals... of course Lind has 28 assists and Gadjovich 4. ‘so Kay, though, they are both much improved over last year. Gadjovich has 2 g and 1 apple in his last three games - seeing more ice with MacEwen and Bailey auditioning with the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2019 at 8:27 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah his skating and just the number of bodies we have in the roster and in the system. Virtanen, Leivo, McEwen, Pearson, Lind, Podz, Im not sure how he overtakes those guys unless moves are made by management. He could have a job though if were to grab 4th line spot and he'd look really good as the net front guy on the PP. Like you said though, his skating has improved, he's defintely ahead of Gauncer at the same age

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

• 7 months later...

I wonder what the plan is for some of our Utica and CHL based prospects, seeing lots of other clubs loan their prospects across Europe.

One guy that I think needs it more than ever is Jonah Gadjovich, was just starting to figure out his role and ability this season.  May be a make it or break it year for him with him, perhaps the bigger ice surface might help with his skating.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2020 at 6:39 PM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

He is one of the prospects that I hope that makes it to the NHL.  Big, strong and perfect in front of the net on the powerplay. 

A power forward who could turn out like Josh Anderson.  Give him some time to develop.  

It would be nice if he could, but players in the system and his skating will hold him back.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:39 PM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

He is one of the prospects that I hope that makes it to the NHL.  Big, strong and perfect in front of the net on the powerplay. 

A power forward who could turn out like Josh Anderson.  Give him some time to develop.  

He'll be on the big team soon. I think he has MacEwan potential. Good 4th liner with 3rd line upside. I watched all of Uticas games last seaon before it was shut down. He's getting quicker, and he is down right nasty with hitting and fighting, he don't take crap. He was playing 3rd line minutes in Utica, and not looking out of place at all. Biggest thing is his skating but over the last few years i've seen him come back better each time. Him and Lind both. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

He'll be on the big team soon. I think he has MacEwan potential. Good 4th liner with 3rd line upside. I watched all of Uticas games last seaon before it was shut down. He's getting quicker, and he is down right nasty with hitting and fighting, he don't take crap. He was playing 3rd line minutes in Utica, and not looking out of place at all. Biggest thing is his skating but over the last few years i've seen him come back better each time. Him and Lind both. 

I think he and Woo will be great physical depth additions at the bottom of the lineup in a year or two to replace guys we currently have in those spots like Roussel & Benn.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I think he and Woo will be great physical depth additions at the bottom of the lineup in a year or two to replace guys we currently have in those spots like Roussel & Benn.

I’m excited to see Woo in utica. I’ll keep you all up to date on what I see from him. Don’t know much about him yet.

Unfortunately I don’t watch a lot of junior hockey, or any international stuff, just don’t have the time! And I find player hi lite packages boring...so I don’t really learn about players till they hit the farm team roster. I like to assess my players in real time full game action. 

If the AHL doesn’t go this season hopefully the NHL allows bigger rosters so we can in some way still have our players developed at a high level without shipping them off all over the place. Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro, Jasek, and Joulevi would be my young guns to pick as a “black ace” group. Obviously there are more names to consider but those are ones that come to mind that I think are close enough to groom at an nhl level.

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I’m excited to see Woo in utica. I’ll keep you all up to date on what I see from him. Don’t know much about him yet.

Unfortunately I don’t watch a lot of junior hockey, or any international stuff, just don’t have the time! And I find player hi lite packages boring...so I don’t really learn about players till they hit the farm team roster. I like to assess my players in real time full game action. 

If the AHL doesn’t go this season hopefully the NHL allows bigger rosters so we can in some way still have our players developed at a high level without shipping them off all over the place. Woo, Lind, Gadjovich, DiPietro, Jasek, and Joulevi would be my young guns to pick as a “black ace” group. Obviously there are more names to consider but those are ones that come to mind that I think are close enough to groom at an nhl level.

I really feel for Utica fans...  they really support the team well, but it's not looking good for an AHL season.  

During the media availability today, a lot of the GMs (Ken Holland, Jim Benning, Pierre Dorion) said that they're actively working to loan guys out and find them spots to play.  

58 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

During the media availability today, a lot of the GMs (Ken Holland, Jim Benning, Pierre Dorion) said that they're actively working to loan guys out and find them spots to play.  

I wonder if that will impact signings as no point resigning someone who is only ever going to be an AHL player if there is no team this season?  Or would they still sign and have them sit with no pay?  Is there any cost like benefits that would occur whether hockey happened or not?  Or would the big club only look after the 10 or so players that have a legitimate NHL shot?