The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I really feel for Utica fans...  they really support the team well, but it's not looking good for an AHL season.  

During the media availability today, a lot of the GMs (Ken Holland, Jim Benning, Pierre Dorion) said that they're actively working to loan guys out and find them spots to play.  

For sure, I hate that the AHL looks dead for this season, I agree it’s better to have our young guns playing even if it is over seas. Just hope we get an expanded roster cause if you send all your call ups away...how do you deal with injuries in a pinch? You gotta have a robust group to go into the season so you can adjust on the fly. Which is why I’m hoping at least we’ll keep some young guys around...but if they will only get practice time in, I’d rather see them play over seas. Have guys like we did in the bubble to fill spots...Bailey, graovac, etc, AHL vets with nhl experience. At least you wouldn’t worry so much about their development stalling. Will see what happens!

27 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

So what are we thinking about Jonah? Haven’t really been paying attention to his development. 

Unfortunately he seems to have injury issues. But when healthy he’s great around the net.

This was set to be a huge year for his development so hopefully there’s an AHL season. And hopefully he’s been using this extra time off the work on his foot speed.

If everything goes well I think he can be a Patrick Maroon type for us.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Unfortunately he seems to have injury issues. But when healthy he’s great around the net.

This was set to be a huge year for his development so hopefully there’s an AHL season. And hopefully he’s been using this extra time off the work on his foot speed.

If everything goes well I think he can be a Patrick Maroon type for us.

Ahhh so I’ve heard. Honestly when we drafted him I thought he would be the next Bertuzzi. He seems to have all the tools to become a good power forward. Hopefully he stays off the IR. Would love to see him get a chance. 

17 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

How's Jonah's skating been? Is he quicker? More explosive? Cause that was the #1 concern when we drafted him, if I recall correctly. 

I think overall from the games I watched, Gadjovich was moving his feet a lot more this season.  His straight line speed seems to be a lot quicker and like Ray Cathode said earlier on the last page, his overall coordination in his feet and hands has allowed him to play with a bit more pace to his game.  From the several games I remember watching, Gadjovich was starting to get onto the forecheck a step quicker than his first season.  It makes a difference because he is a smart kid and does things very well, when he gets to the place he needs to be.  First season he looked like he really struggled to get into those places at the right time, almost a few seconds too late so he never really was able to grind it out, make hits, and really wear down the opposition.  This year he was better at getting to those places quicker to effectively use those tools of his.

I'd say he is half a step quicker which was good to see, but still a work in progress with his skating.  Maybe its just me, but he seems to take a lot of steps in his skating for no reason. Some scouts before his draftdescribed his skating as clunky and choppy.  I notice he takes a lot of short chunky steps in strides instead of one or two really strong ones.

I.e in this goal, Goldobin passes it off to him and from the beginning of the blueline and to the top of the circle, he takes equivalent to 6-7 steps when really it should be 3 to 4 really good strides in.  its just me, but he needs to quiet his steps, elongate those strides and focus on really driving power into those steps.  He looks kinda choppy and wasting energy taking 6-8 semi strong strides when you could just move from 3-4 really powerful strides.

However, this was before Christmas, and didn't really catch any Comet games after that, so perhaps he has improved it more.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Comets Cory on Twitter noted that Jonah Gadjovich was racing to puck battles a lot more quickly and actually beating the opposition to them too which did not happen in his first two seasons.

He looks noticeably quicker and his shot looks a lot more threatening. He has taken a big step.

Good to hear. I hope he continues to get better, Id like to see him play in the show.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy to hear about progress from any prospect.

But in reality, what I'm hearing is that Gadjo is, finally, approaching the point this year where he should've been a year ago if not more? 

Yes, I understand that each prospect develops at their own rate and that there is no 'magic formula' for each guy, but to hear Gadjo say he's working on skating, shooting, and strength one has to ask - wtf were you doing before? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

But in reality, what I'm hearing is that Gadjo is, finally, approaching the point this year where he should've been a year ago if not more? 

Yes, I understand that each prospect develops at their own rate and that there is no 'magic formula' for each guy, but to hear Gadjo say he's working on skating, shooting, and strength one has to ask - wtf were you doing before? 

Perhaps seeing some of teammates getting opportunities in the big show had given him some urgency in his play (?).  

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

I guess you can ask a similar question to Virtanen.  Instead of hanging out at Celebrities on the weekend why wasn't he working on becoming a better pro hockey player?  Everyone has a different development curve.  I had high hopes for Gadjovich coming out of junior.  He literally looked like a man against boys in junior.  I hope he can make it to the big show.  As a 4th line tough guy who can also play he would be welcomed in this lineup.  We need all the big guys we can get.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Experience I s the best teacher, if one is willing to learn from it. Gadjovich appears to be, Jake, it appears, is not.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:57 AM, Ray_Cathode said:

Jake’s replacement is Russian to the rescue.

Jake is pulling a disappearing act like Kenin's. Kenin's disappeared right out of the league. Jake and his fly bys.

My 5 year old daughter used to play soccer and would wave at me as she ran by. Reminds me of Jake's intensity. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2