The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

Good solid pick here by Benning. With Miller most likely walking, this is just some insurance as Utica will eventually need a netminder when Demko is NHL ready, who I could see making his 1st NHL start if Marky falters but Green knows where his development is at so I'm assuming Demko will get this year to showcase himself once more with Utica. With DiPietro, I've heard comparisons of Jonathan Quick and if he ends up anywhere near a calibre, then we might've hit gold. Exciting what he can do as an encore with Windsor next year as he looks to put himself in the OHL elite!

• Upvote 1

Found this quote from DiPietro on an article on SN, thought it was awesome.

Funny story: When one team at the NHL combine told him “We don’t think you can play in the NHL with our team, you’re too small,” he fired back with “Well, I guess you have a problem with winning then.” How do you not like that?

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Found this quote from DiPietro on an article on SN, thought it was awesome.

Funny story: When one team at the NHL combine told him “We don’t think you can play in the NHL with our team, you’re too small,” he fired back with “Well, I guess you have a problem with winning then.” How do you not like that?

I wonder which Team, I hope someday he gets to make that GM pay for it by winning a playoff series against them ::D

On 6/24/2017 at 8:05 AM, mpt said:

Ugh... good prospect, but I still would've tried to add another skater rather than a G.  Demko is a better prospect at face value, so I don't think it's a priority.  Great goalie prospect though, huge in the memorial cup

don't forget he's at least 2-3 years behind Demko, who's not going to be up with us for at least 1 more season maybe 2 to back up Marky

2 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Nope. He's a 99 birth year rather than a late 98 so he'll have two more years of junior to play before he's AHL eligible.

thanks. I wish Aquilini would buy a SEL team so we can ship kids there for a year when they are 19. 

44 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

thanks. I wish Aquilini would buy a SEL team so we can ship kids there for a year when they are 19. 

Well if he can get a purchase in quick, then I'd recommend Frolunda HC and get Dahlin on our team Gretzky-Oilers style. :P

• Upvote 1

Just now, suitup said:

Well if he can get a purchase in quick, then I'd recommend Frolunda HC and get Dahlin on our team Gretzky-Oilers style. :P

i'm just goofing around, but i also really hate the current CHL-AHL age barrier thing. It hurts the development of the best CHL players imo who aren't quite ready for the NHL but won't benefit from more CHL time. Nylander gets to go to Europe as a dual citizen, but Virtanen has to go back to the WHL and play with infants or stagnate with the Canucks. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

i'm just goofing around, but i also really hate the current CHL-AHL age barrier thing. It hurts the development of the best CHL players imo who aren't quite ready for the NHL but won't benefit from more CHL time. Nylander gets to go to Europe as a dual citizen, but Virtanen has to go back to the WHL and play with infants or stagnate with the Canucks. 

Hahaha same. Yeah I agree on the age barrier deal too. Again, I really think the best way to go about it is to just give every NHL team the opportunity to allow a CHL prospect go straight to the AHL upon being drafted in the 1st round only IF that NHL team sees fit, AND under the condition that the NHL team has not already used this grant on another prospect one or two years prior. As for financial compensation, the richest teams in the CHL only makes about 500k a year, so I believe even 200k as compensation should be enough. 

Maybe even install an additional rule on top of that, one where no CHL team can lose more than 1 or 2 players to the AHL in 2 years. If there are more than one NHL teams trying to buy out a player from the same team, that CHL team can decide which one to snub. 

• Upvote 1