The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

4 hours ago, OneSeventeen said:

Maybe it'll end in another lopsided game, but I really hope DiPietro gets the start on Wednesday. He deserves another chance before going down. And the team needs a wake up call in terms of how they play in front of their goalie. To play like that while knowing you have a 19 year old in net says a lot.

DiPietro deserves to go out on a high note. 

The kid should not have been in the game last night and needs to be back in Ottawa helping his team prepare to a long Memorial Cup run.  He needs 2 - 3 years in the AHL before he should be looking to play in Vancouver. Benning had five weeks to get another depth goalie on contract and did nothing.  Exposing a 19 year old kid to this was inexcusable.

DiPietro is not NHL ready and probably isn't even AHL ready yet.  Like most AHL rookies he will go through a tough learning curve next season in Utica and will need solid veteran goaltending partner to mentor him.  Demko struggled in the first couple months of his rookie season and DiPietro will do the same.  Plus Demko is the prototypical big goalie that played a pro style right from the start.  DiPietro is tiny and has to adjust to the smaller equipment mandated in the NHL/AHL while continuing to work on his technique to be less dependent on athleticism and become more positionally sound.

Benning needs to get another goalie under contract ASAP and let DiPiotro continue to develop back in juniors where he belongs.  

• Upvote 1

If the Canucks had come out on fire and shelled the Sharks team and won 5-1 everybody would be on the bandwagon about how good Dipietro is... bottom line its a team game and they lost, everybody blaming Benning and feeling sorry for Mike lmao. It's one game for a 19 year old, he will be back eventually. The players themselves are the ones who should be blamed.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

If the Canucks had come out on fire and shelled the Sharks team and won 5-1 everybody would be on the bandwagon about how good Dipietro is... bottom line its a team game and they lost, everybody blaming Benning and feeling sorry for Mike lmao. It's one game for a 19 year old, he will be back eventually. The players themselves are the ones who should be blamed.

Even if DiPietro played well, I personally don't really see how throwing a CHL goalie up against one of the best teams in the NHL is a good way to start an NHL career. It would be good on DiPietro if he had played well, but it's one game and a risky game at that,

It's not about what happened with that game at all. I thought we weren't supposed to be rushing our goalies. It seemed to be the mantra that I've kept hearing over the past number of years. Yet, here we are, talking about a goalie I doubt anyone would have thought would have even played an NHL game this season.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Even if DiPietro played well, I personally don't really see how throwing a CHL goalie up against one of the best teams in the NHL is a good way to start an NHL career. It would be good on DiPietro if he had played well, but it's one game and a risky game at that,

It's not about what happened with that game at all. I thought we weren't supposed to be rushing our goalies. It seemed to be the mantra that I've kept hearing over the past number of years. Yet, here we are, talking about a goalie I doubt anyone would have thought would have even played an NHL game this season.

Not too sure who you would have started. JB backed himself into a corner when he delayed on replacing McKenna, but last night was not part of any plan. Bachman, Demko injured and McKenna on a fake conditioning stint. Markstrom was pencilled in to start every game till Demko/ McKenna came back. When Markstrom couldn't go, who was meant to start ?

Edited by SingleThorn

I love Mikey.  But he looks small in there when compared to Markstrom, like his kid brother small.  He goes down ALOT, which opens up the top of the net very easily.  He's very athletic so hopefully he can overcome his "short" comings and make a career for himself.  However, unless he changes his style I'm not certain he can make a career out of the NHL.  Hope he proves me wrong, but all of today's young up and coming goalies are much bigger.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Pretty sure it didn't bother Brodeur at the time, it's hockey and it was an emergency call up just like Mikey.

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

The kid should not have been in the game last night and needs to be back in Ottawa helping his team prepare to a long Memorial Cup run.  He needs 2 - 3 years in the AHL before he should be looking to play in Vancouver. Benning had five weeks to get another depth goalie on contract and did nothing.  Exposing a 19 year old kid to this was inexcusable.

DiPietro is not NHL ready and probably isn't even AHL ready yet.  Like most AHL rookies he will go through a tough learning curve next season in Utica and will need solid veteran goaltending partner to mentor him.  Demko struggled in the first couple months of his rookie season and DiPietro will do the same.  Plus Demko is the prototypical big goalie that played a pro style right from the start.  DiPietro is tiny and has to adjust to the smaller equipment mandated in the NHL/AHL while continuing to work on his technique to be less dependent on athleticism and become more positionally sound.

Benning needs to get another goalie under contract ASAP and let DiPiotro continue to develop back in juniors where he belongs.  

If he ends up playing a couple of games it is a positive for him. The game last night will help his development not hurt it. The 'kid' comments being thrown around are a little bit over the top. 

19 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Not too sure who you would have started. JB backed himself into a corner when he delayed on replacing McKenna, but last night was not part of any plan. Bachman, Demko injured and McKenna on a fake conditioning stint. Markstrom was pencilled in to start every game till Demko/ McKenna came back. When Markstrom couldn't go, who was meant to start ?

To be honest, I would literally have started anyone not DiPietro. An emergency does not mean you HAVE to throw your future goalie into the fire. An emergency does not dictate who you have to throw in at all. We've literally seen a goalie from UBC on emergency recall even.

How about giving a goalie the game of their life if we are going to lose anyway? Call up another goalie from UBC or wherever. The media would love the story I'm sure and everyone here would probably be like "well at least he tried". 

But don't risk the confidence of a potential future goalie for us. Backed up against a wall doesn't mean you don't have options.

29 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Pretty sure it didn't bother Brodeur at the time, it's hockey and it was an emergency call up just like Mikey.

DiPietro is not Brodeur. Brodeur won a Calder as a rookie goalie.

Is that actually fair to expect the same out of DiPietro? Are we really going the path of "because this person can you can too"? I just don't see why we should have similar expectations here. I appreciate optimism, but too high of expectations just causes more harm than good in my opinion.

Edited by The Lock

48 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Here's my attempt to find some optimism in this issue:

- It's a nice learning experience for him. He seems to have the determination to constantly improve his craft, and even though I feel his first start should've been against the ducks tomorrow, it gives him an opportunity to experience NHL level game-play, especially from a top tier team in front of a subpar defense.

- It acts as further testament to management to fix their goaltending depth. It's not fair to subject your 5TH STRING GOALTENDER (Behind Demko, Bachman, and to a certain extent, Leighton/Kulbakov) to the inevitable shelling. I've thrown this out in a couple of other topics, including the PGT, but if management maintains status quo, than we're a stubbed finger or cough away from DiPietro being the undisputed starter before Demko comes back. It's atrocious.

I wasn't expecting to see DP start last night, and was actually quite excited about it. With that said, once I remembered we were playing the Sharks, my heart sank a bit. Glad he's keeping his chin up, in any event. 

Edited by therodigy

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

DiPietro is not Brodeur. Brodeur won a Calder as a rookie goalie.

Is that actually fair to expect the same out of DiPietro? Are we really going the path of "because this person can you can too"? I just don't see why we should have similar expectations here. I appreciate optimism, but too high of expectations just causes more harm than good in my opinion.

No expectations at all, i just used Brodeur as someone used as an emergency. Tsn had a thing on Marty when he retired and the former players were talking about him getting the callup and no one thought he was anything special, just another goalie at the time. It was the next year he played a bit in the A and then came in and won the calder.

I'm not looking at Dipietro in any of the above comparison but at the end of the day it is just one game, if he plays another game... no big deal either.

Went to the game last night and gonna echo a few comments in here. He looked tiny. Almost Pang-like. Maybe cause we're used to Nilsson/Markstrom being 6'6", Demko being 6'4". But man, there was a TON of open net. The shooters these days are so good and bigger goalies are becoming the norm, it's hard to imagine this kid being a number 1. Then again, it's looking like Saros could be going against the grain in Nashville, let's hope Mikey can too.

• Like 1

He's a gamer, and I am sure he relished the opportunity. He's also quite smart so I would bet he knew exactly what he was facing and looked forward to seeing where his game was lacking. He found out, and he'll go away, work on his game and come back stronger. Do I wish he didn't have to play? Sure, but to quote a former Canuck drafted 24th overall, "It is what it is!" I hope he gets another game before he gets sent back to the OHL so we can see how he's adjusted.

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Cmon lol. A lotof those goals are on him man. Even the hutton one. You cant tell.me you watched last game amd out all the blame on everyone else. 

HE'S NOT READY. 

I agree he's not ready. 

But come on, once the team saw that he was starting after the morning practice they should have at least realized that they all needed to make adjustments to protect him. A 19 year old goalie does not have a lot of those goals. 

When you're practicing with a 19 year old and your current starter is consistently playing and at times over taxed, there has to be some kind of cognitive awareness that the 19 year old might be given a start in an NHL game. And if that happens, the team and coaching staff should have taken precautions. 

Having a 19 year old goalie start should be a major signal that the game can't be approached like business as usual. 

10 minutes ago, Pepe Silvia said:

Went to the game last night and gonna echo a few comments in here. He looked tiny. Almost Pang-like. Maybe cause we're used to Nilsson/Markstrom being 6'6", Demko being 6'4". But man, there was a TON of open net. The shooters these days are so good and bigger goalies are becoming the norm, it's hard to imagine this kid being a number 1. Then again, it's looking like Saros could be going against the grain in Nashville, let's hope Mikey can too.

Dipietro is wondering if he’s got the size to be an NHL goalie now too.  I think the kid needs to play the next game.  He’s done if he doesn’t get in right away, and gain some confidence.  If he is crappy again, then we know to let him walk.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Dipietro is wondering if he’s got the size to be an NHL goalie now too.  I think the kid needs to play the next game.  He’s done if he doesn’t get in right away, and gain some confidence.  If he is crappy again, then we know to let him walk.  

Lmao! you should become a scout...

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, therodigy said:

It's not fair to subject your 5TH STRING GOALTENDER (Behind Demko, Bachman, and to a certain extent, Leighton/Kulbakov) to the inevitable shelling.

Look at the VGK last year or PHI this year. Excrement happens.

It's certainly not ideal and you'd prefer he wasn't forced to play last night, particularly against one of the top teams in the league (and with the lousy effort from his team mates) but it is what it is. Sucks a bit for him now but he seems like the type of kid that will absorb info from this less than ideal situation and use it to improve in the long run.

• Upvote 3