The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

On 12/15/2019 at 10:32 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Demko may be out for awhile.  Last year he was out 2 months with his concussion.  I doubt Marky is going to play for 2 months straight.  Expect to see Mikey between the pipes before Xmas...

If a shot off the mask causes Demko to suffer a concussion, does he need a better mask, or is he (maybe) to fragile to play?  Goalies take shots off the mask pretty frequently.  I wonder if he didn’t see the $&!# coming, and it got him in the side of the head?  

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If a shot off the mask causes Demko to suffer a concussion, does he need a better mask, or is he (maybe) to fragile to play?  Goalies take shots off the mask pretty frequently.  I wonder if he didn’t see the $&!# coming, and it got him in the side of the head?  

He may have an issue with taking shots off the mask.  Getting two concussions with shots off the mask is worrisome.  Goalies get hit all the time.  The 3rd concussion may come sooner than the 2nd.  If I was Benning I would sign Marky to a long term deal as quickly as possible before he becomes a UFA.  With Demko you never know what’s going to happen.  And we have Mikey now as insurance. Demko may not even get picked by Seattle if there is a better player available on the Cancuks.  Guys like Kole Lind would be available for selection.  He may be a better long term bet than Demko. So I wouldn’t be too worried about exposing Demko at this point.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

poop emoji GIF by Jon Burgerman

Edited by theo5789
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He may have an issue with taking shots off the mask.  Getting two concussions with shots off the mask is worrisome.  Goalies get hit all the time.  The 3rd concussion may come sooner than the 2nd.  If I was Benning I would sign Marky to a long term deal as quickly as possible before he becomes a UFA.  With Demko you never know what’s going to happen.  And we have Mikey now as insurance. Demko may not even get picked by Seattle if there is a better player available on the Cancuks.  Guys like Kole Lind would be available for selection.  He may be a better long term bet than Demko. So I wouldn’t be too worried about exposing Demko at this point.  

Or maybe they make sure he heals properly, like Crosby did, and no more concussion issues.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Or maybe they make sure he heals properly, like Crosby did, and no more concussion issues.  

I like Demko.  He’s going to be a good goalie.  However, it is concerning when a shot off the mask gives a goalie a concussion.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It's been over a year since his last concussion.  He gets hit the same way as the first time, with a puck to the mask, and he gets another concussion.  I don't think sitting out 6 more months would have made a difference.  It's the same with Ferland.  Some guys can heal better than others.  Crosby is the exeption to the rule.  Some guys are more prone to getting a concussion than others.  Baertschi is another example.  He can get a concussion without even a direct hit.  That's why he's in Utica because he's afraid to get hit and has changed his game.  It's unfortunate but not much you can do about it.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Goalie Stats

Choose Quick ViewTop ScorersTop GoaliesGoalsAssistsPower Play GoalsPower Play AssistsShort Handed GoalsShort Handed AssistsOvertime GoalsGame Winning GoalsFirst GoalsInsurance GoalsPenalty MinutesPlus/MinusShootout GoalsRookie Scoring
 Rookie
Qualified GoaliesAll Goalies
2020 All-Star Challenge2019-20 Regular Season2019 Calder Cup Playoffs2019 All-Star Challenge2018-19 Regular Season2018 Calder Cup Playoffs2017-18 Exhibition2018 All-Star Challenge2017-18 Regular Season2017 Calder Cup Playoffs2017 All-Star Challenge2016-17 Regular Season2016 Calder Cup Playoffs2016 All-Star Challenge2015-16 Regular Season2015 Calder Cup Playoffs2015 All-Star Game2014-15 Regular Season2014 Calder Cup Playoffs2013-14 Exhibition2014 All-Star Game2013-14 Regular Season2013 Calder Cup Playoffs2013 All-Star Game2012-13 Regular Season2012 Calder Cup Playoffs2012 All-Star Game2011-12 Regular Season2011 Calder Cup Playoffs2011 All-Star Game2010-11 Regular Season2010 Calder Cup Playoffs2010 All-Star Game2009-10 Regular Season2009 Calder Cup Playoffs2009 All-Star Game2008-09 Regular Season2008 Calder Cup Playoffs2008 All-Star Game2007-08 Regular Season2007 Calder Cup Playoffs2007 All-Star Game2006-07 Regular Season2006 Calder Cup Playoffs2006 All-Star Game2005-06 Regular Season2005 All-Star Game2004 All-Star Game2003 All-Star Game2002 All-Star Game2001 All-Star Game2000 All-Star Game1999 All-Star Game1998 All-Star Game1997 All-Star Game1996 All-Star Game1995 All-Star Game
All TeamsBakersfield CondorsBelleville SenatorsBinghamton DevilsBridgeport Sound TigersCharlotte CheckersChicago WolvesCleveland MonstersColorado EaglesGrand Rapids GriffinsHartford Wolf PackHershey BearsIowa WildLaval RocketLehigh Valley PhantomsManitoba MooseMilwaukee AdmiralsOntario ReignProvidence BruinsRochester AmericansRockford IceHogsSan Antonio RampageSan Diego GullsSan Jose BarracudaSpringfield ThunderbirdsStockton HeatSyracuse CrunchTexas StarsToronto MarliesTucson RoadrunnersUtica CometsWilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
    Name Team GP Min GA SO GAA W L OT SVS SA SAV% SOA SOGA SO%
1 *
Michael DiPietro
Michael DiPietro
390.png
UTI
24 1357:05 61 1 2.70 14 7 1 598 659 0.907 3 0 1.000
Zane McIntyre
Zane McIntyre
390.png
UTI
24 1346:54 71 0 3.16 11 10 2 598 669 0.894 3 1 0.667
    Empty Net   26 23:44 5   12.64         5        

On 2/3/2020 at 6:28 AM, dpn1 said:

He has played around the same amount of games as the other goalie in Utica but seems to be the best goalie we have there.  Do you all think they will start playing him more down the stretch?

I think he is our starter in Utica. I think the main reason that both guys have played about the same number of games is, at the start of the season, it took a few weeks for DiPietro to establish himself as the starter and then he spent some time in Vancouver when Demko was injured.

So, yes, I think Utica will lean on DiPietro more through the last 1/3rd of the season.

• Cheers 3

Comets’ DiPietro focused on what’s next

UTICA – A successful hockey team features many parts, and Mike DiPietro is trying to be one of the key pieces for the Comets.

For the mature 20-year-old goaltending prospect that means looking forward, even after earning a notable milestone with his first pro shutout last weekend.

“I’m not one to pat myself on the back for anything,” said DiPietro, who had a number of family members in attendance in Cleveland for last Friday’s game near his hometown of Windsor, Ontario. “It is on to the next. Any sport is really ‘what can you do for me now?’ and not really ‘What have you done?’ That’s really my mindset.”

There have been learning moments, but DiPietro has largely been solid for the Comets, who are 26-18-2-2 overall and occupy third place in a tough North Division with two meetings each against Laval and Syracuse over the next 10 days. Utica – who are 4-6-0-0 in the last 10 games – is six points ahead of Laval and two back of second-place Rochester, which has three games in hand.

DiPietro has won five of his last seven appearances and his 14 wins are tied for fourth-best among AHL rookie goaltenders. His 2.70 goals-against average is fourth among rookies.

So, how does DiPietro grade his play with about a third of the regular-season remaining?

“I just want to get better each day. I want to not only get better, but I want to have fun. I think those are two big check marks that I can definitely give myself. I’m just trying to grow my game each and every day and adjust to the pro style game,” DiPietro said. “There’s going to be curve balls thrown my way. There’s going to be tough points in the season. I feel like I’ve gone through some. At the end of the day, hard work is going to get you out of those tough times. And, also just thinking what’s made you successful and also leaning on people, leaning on coaches.”

Comets coach Trent Cull credited DiPietro with making several key saves against Cleveland, including in the third period.

“He’s a great kid,” captain Carter Bancks said. “The work the kid puts in every day (is great). He’s the first guy to the rink. ... He practices hard and he’s one of the last guys on the ice. I’m happy to see him rewarded. I think he’s come a long ways. I think he’s an excellent goaltender and he’s going to continue to get better.”

DiPietro noted his teammates are stepping up around him.

“Guys are willing to sacrifice the body, blocking shots and are in and out of the lineup with the injuries and have the resiliency to come back and jump back in and do what they do best. It is something you look up to, especially being in your first year and navigate through things,” he said. “I just want to stop the puck. I let the coaches do the coaching. At the end of the day, I just live on my little island there and do my thing.”