The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Michael DiPietro | G

Canucksin2013

15 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The real question is: Will Demko be like Markstrom? Markstrom has a great thing going right now in this city. If he stays, which I think he will, he can continue, whereas if he goes somewhere else, he might not have the same level of stability and familiarity.

I don't think the Canucks should let Markstrom walk - nor would they. Demko's probably going to get traded, if I were to take a guess. At the same time, who would we have as a backup? Dipietro? That's kind of young to put him there.

I actually expect Demko/Markstrom to remain the tandem next season. I think if there's a trade, it'll be closer to expansion next year. I also honestly believe some higher calibre goalies will be available at the expansion. I can see a world where Montreal exposes Carey Price or Brayden Holtby being exposed if he re-signs in Washington. So there may not even be much of a fear of WHO Seattle takes.

I just don't see a rush to move Demko.

I also believe a 2nd full season in Utica will do wonders for DiPetro much like it did wonders for Demko before him.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I live in windsor and I've had the pleasure of watching him for a few years and meeting him in my home town when they gave him the key to amherstburg.  I was actually at his first OHL game. Kid is as humble as they come. An absolute pro.

Nice! that is quite the honour. He seems to be a solid guy overall. Always team first with him. There was a storey out a bit ago about him. He's staying with the president of Utica Hockey operations. His wife and kids absolutely love him. Everywhere this kid goes he wins and proves everyone wrong that his size is not an issue. Cheers 73

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Dazzle said:

The real question is: Will Demko be like Markstrom? Markstrom has a great thing going right now in this city. If he stays, which I think he will, he can continue, whereas if he goes somewhere else, he might not have the same level of stability and familiarity.

I don't think the Canucks should let Markstrom walk - nor would they. Demko's probably going to get traded, if I were to take a guess. At the same time, who would we have as a backup? Dipietro? That's kind of young to put him there.

I dont think thats going to matter, this is Markstrom's chance to get paid and get security. If Markstrom gets paid 6.5 to 7, its going to be awfully tough keeping all the guys us fans want to be here, Petey, Hughes, both commanding big dollars not to mention the middle guys like Virtanen, Gaudette etc.  Lundquist, Rask, Price, Bobrovski, just to name a few are the guys on top of the goalie pecking order, with highest salaries in which Marky is going to be compared to come FA season, out of those 4, only 1 is firmly entrenched in a playoff spot.

11 hours ago, Quantum said:

I actually expect Demko/Markstrom to remain the tandem next season. I think if there's a trade, it'll be closer to expansion next year. I also honestly believe some higher calibre goalies will be available at the expansion. I can see a world where Montreal exposes Carey Price or Brayden Holtby being exposed if he re-signs in Washington. So there may not even be much of a fear of WHO Seattle takes.

I just don't see a rush to move Demko.

I also believe a 2nd full season in Utica will do wonders for DiPetro much like it did wonders for Demko before him.

I do to, and if Markstrom has a year on his deal, by all means keep him, but he doesn't . Hes a vezina candidate and some say even the hart, and he's just gonna get 1 -1.5 million raise from 3.6? LOL just like in any other job, you're one of the best, expect to be PAID like one of the best with perks and security

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Lundquist, Rask, Price, Bobrovski, just to name a few are the guys on top of the goalie pecking order, with highest salaries in which Marky is going to be compared to come FA season, out of those 4, only 1 is firmly entrenched in a playoff spot.

As much as I love Marky and an thrilled to finally see him live up to his potential at 30, he's not going to get paid in the same tier as guys who entered the league as top goalies in their early 20's, with multiple playoff runs, Vezina trophies/nominations (and other hardware). He has neither the track record, age or hardware to warrant those prices.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I wonder, with Demko letting in softies after softies, whether we should give DiPietro another chance? How many losses will Green take from our goalies before he changes things up?

why push that envelop

dipietro was completely exposed when called up

due to a bone head jb trade with ottawa

i am a big jb supporter but that was completely stupid

and i think he owns that mistake

it is not good for dipietro's development

to call him up again when he is not ready

let's see how he does in camp next fall

and take it from there

calling him up again now

just shows poor planning

and undermines the development of this prospect

i just say no

we have demko and a back up

we go with those 2 until marky returns

or we have another goalie injury

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mikey was pulled tonight after giving up 4 goals on 9 shots.  Goalies take longer to develop than skaters.  He needs much more time playing and developing in the AHL before he is ready for a call up. Just because Demko is struggling in the starters role doesn't mean it's time to call DiPietro up.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Mikey was pulled tonight after giving up 4 goals on 9 shots.  Goalies take longer to develop than skaters.  He needs much more time playing and developing in the AHL before he is ready for a call up. Just because Demko is struggling in the starters role doesn't mean it's time to call DiPietro up.

On 2/27/2020 at 1:10 PM, filthycanuck said:

Id rather see Markstrom walk than see Demko get traded. Marky's price is probably going to be in the 6.5 - 7 mill range with a minimum of 4 years on it. I'd much rather see Toffoli and perhaps even Tanev back if the team can afford it

Yeah. I am a little bit more at ease that we have Ian Clark in our organization to work with Demko. He has potential to be a starter, and a really good goalie (IMO). 

Markström is a very good goalie. First season where he's shown that he's an elite calibre goaltender. But if there's no defense in front of him, how are we going to win? One man does not make a team. 

Demko would be cost controlled for a while at least (not sure when he becomes UFA), but he'll need experience and numbers to back up the contract he's going to want. 

If we can have Demko for cheap for a litltle bit, and actually build a defense that can protect our goaltender, then, I think we might have a more well rounded team, than relying on the goalie to bail the team out over and over and over again (like Markström has done this season). 

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I agree. leave Dipietro down in the AHL to develop. There's no rush with him. 

Demko will figure things out. He needs to have a session with Ian Clark to work on some things. I'm glad that the team plays tomorrow again and doesn't have to wait too long for a turnaround. They can take their frustrations out on Columbus. 

Hoping for a win tomorrow. 

• Like 2

On 2/28/2020 at 7:39 AM, aGENT said:

As much as I love Marky and an thrilled to finally see him live up to his potential at 30, he's not going to get paid in the same tier as guys who entered the league as top goalies in their early 20's, with multiple playoff runs, Vezina trophies/nominations (and other hardware). He has neither the track record, age or hardware to warrant those prices.

Hes not gonna get paid like those guys but he will be close. His closest comparison would probably be Rask, and hes getting paid 7mill, so I would guess 6.5 range, 6 being the bare minimum which I still think is too much especially with the term thats going to be attached to it

On 3/1/2020 at 12:27 AM, filthycanuck said:

Hes not gonna get paid like those guys but he will be close. His closest comparison would probably be Rask, and hes getting paid 7mill, so I would guess 6.5 range, 6 being the bare minimum which I still think is too much especially with the term thats going to be attached to it

I'm fine at 6 with term given that his backup (Ddemko, then DiPietro) are going to be at less that 2.  8 to 8.5 per year for stable goaltending is very reasonable.  Even when Markstrom breaks down, the hope would be that DiPietro is ready to take over.