The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

23 minutes ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

A little off topic, but you can bet Judd Brackett and GMJB are scouting Rathbone's team mate Jay O'Brien. Kids a stud and eligible for this year's draft.

Yeah, what did O’Brien have like 80-90 points this season with Thayer? Slated to go around the early 2nd round IIRC.

EDIT: yeah, 80 points in 30 prep school games. Ranked in the 30s and 40s on some lists. Sometimes I like to try to go off memory (and this time got it pretty close) but checked elite prospects just now in case somebody decides to quote me. ;) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

There appears to be something magical happening with our prospects this year...it is almost like a make believe fairytale for most of our prospects...not just one or two, which would have been great, but this is special...we may be graduating a whole team full of players in the next 3-4 years and all of those guys will be winners...!

Expect magic...embrace it when it happens..and try not look a way in disbelief...coming to a rink near you next year onward...

Don't get carried away. It's happening with quite a few teams in the League. I just watched the Panthers at Boston and both sides were crammed with young talent. We need to be less insular or it will lead to putting too much pressure on these young guys.

I agree things are looking good but we had to improve after the Gillis years. Youth is breaking out all over the League.

It is one of the reasons I would like Tavares. A seasoned and proven young leader like him will be a difference maker and will help take the strain off not just some of the new players but guys like Bo and Boeser as well.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

I want to watch Michigan vs Harvard next year, just to see Hughes vs Rathbone.

Harvard will be fun to watch. They’ll likely have Oliver Wahlstrom, Jack Drury, and Rathbone in their freshman class.

EDIT: Pretty nice group for Rathbone to develop and grow with.

• Upvote 2

USA Hockey Tier I 18U National Championship Game is just getting underway.

Rathbone and the Cape Cod Whalers (Mass Selects) versus Selects Academy of the Central Connecticut YHA.

Game centre is here:

https://nationals.usahockey.com/tournaments/5a9d94e6951b9166b30002c7/games/5ab3dd51e407144464000057?referrer=3902893

Broadcast is on HockeyTV (subscription):

https://www.hockeytv.com/

Follow on Twitter via @Ice_Line (seems to have the best updates).

EDIT: First period is in the books. Jack and the Whalers are down 1-0 and trailing 14-4 on the shot clock. 

Hopefully Coach Andrew Orpik (brother to Brooks) can motivate his troops during the break and get them back on track.

EDIT2: Whalers down 2-0 after two periods. :( 

2019 eligible Shane Pinto (UND commit) is having a strong game for CCYHA

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Aw yeah! Whalers score (O’Brien with his 6th of the tourney to tie Rathbone).

Tied 2-2 with under 10 minutes left.

I really think this kid will be in the NHL one day. His offensive production is through the roof and I anticipate a really good NCAA season for him next year. Makes you wonder if Canucks drop Hughes down their draft rankings though due to possibly having two guys under 6'? I guess Boqvist falls under that category too although I fully expect him to grow another inch minimum to 6'0"

• Upvote 1

Gonna be tough for Cape Cod to come back now:

Quite a game from Pinto. I believe that’s 2G 1A today. He’s making an impression and I’m gonna have to look into him a bit (17 year old 2019 eligible committed to UND).

EDIT: not a tonne out there on Pinto but what I did find sounds pretty good. 6’2” 185 lbs forward whose best attribute is said to be his hockey IQ. Reports say he has a good smooth stride, decent speed, a hard, accurate shot, and plays a versatile game with strong two-way ability (as evidenced by him being out on a late PK defending a 3-2 lead—and turning a shot block into a breakaway EN goal).

Listed as a 3.75 star/B grade prospect. We’ll see how his rankings pan out over the next year, but he might be of interest for the 2019 draft.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So that should do it for Rathbone’s 2017-18 season.

Too bad NCAA rules don’t allow him to tryout with Utica like many of our other prospects. Would’ve been fun to see Jack get a look with the Comets (and they could use some puckmoving and offense on their D).

EDIT: Hopefully Jack makes good use of his summer and gets some training in to get a bit stronger, while also spending time with his little brother (special needs) before heading off to college in the fall (although Harvard’s only like a half hour from West Roxbury, so he should be around for his brother, maybe even still living at home while attending Harvard).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With Rathbone in the Canucks prospects pool already (and Stetcher, Beiga, etc), and if they don't end up with a top 4 pick after the lotto draw, I hope Benning chooses one of the bigger Cdn D-men (Bouchard, Dobson), not another sub-6 ft D-man in the 1st round. There will be a chance at another decent D prospect with the 2nd round pick.... maybe someone that slips down in the draft (like Lind did last year). Ginning, Miller, maybe Samuelsson ???  Somebody that plays very solid D 1st & offence 2nd.  

I hoping / wishing / praying that Rathbone develops a la Gaudette and is NHL ready for the 2020 / 21 season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Will we see Rathbone at the prospects showdown? He was one of the draftpicks I was intrigued by last year.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I am so FIRED UP to see Captain Jack - may honestly take a morning off in July and watch a practice, or get tickets to the Summer Showdown. He, like ya boiii Lukas, is going to be one of those last round beauties that pans out in a big way.