The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

11 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

all1.png&w=1484 So it looks like 80k per year (US) is the median for Ivy League schools.  

Actually it looks like the median is about 73k for Ivy League schools and about 34k for all schools.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Like 3

ivy league schools have high admission standards so that graph is comparing apples and oranges and not very helpful.  it is mostly showing you that smart hardworking people earn more money.

a meaningful graph would be to compare median incomes of people with similar hs grades and testing results who went to ivy league schools or did not. 

20 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

ivy league schools have high admission standards so that graph is comparing apples and oranges and not very helpful.  it is mostly showing you that smart hardworking people earn more money.

a meaningful graph would be to compare median incomes of people with similar hs grades and testing results who went to ivy league schools or did not. 

and those who finished their degree as opposed to kids who went to kwantlen for 3/4 of a semester before being pulled away by the allure of cashiering at Shoppers.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, krutovsdonut said:

What Harvard peddles is prestige and the old boys network. The number of schools in the US is incredible and so the average is dragged down. Harvard is one institution and does not get dragged down by some bad actors. The fees for attending ensure that only the well placed and wealthy attend. Well placed and wealthy take care of their own. As the saying goes, follow the money

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

What Harvard peddles is prestige and the old boys network. The number of schools in the US is incredible and so the average is dragged down. Harvard is one institution and does not get dragged down by some bad actors. The fees for attending ensure that only the well placed and wealthy attend. Well placed and wealthy take care of their own. As the saying goes, follow the money

There is something to your point.  I know of students from such schools who become highly successful. In many cases for no better reason than they suddenly have access to rub shoulders with influential people. Industry leaders who can magnify your productivity. Suppose you can sell ice to an Eskimo? Who cares? What if a guy who owned the factories that supplied 40 % of the refrigeration plants across the Eastern seaboard was your centreman's dad? Who you know does play into success.  

There is also something to that environment though? 

I coached a sports team at a highly exclusive, top end private school. I had the premiers daughter. Multi millionaires kids, kids parented by successful people? Traits inherited, be it genes or just mirroring & learning,  habits of the most successful people were readily in abundance. When these kids decided to be good at our sport? Suddenly they just were. They were competitive. Dedicated. Took lumps and were not discouraged. And they did well at school. In arts, in everything they did.

Like being on a good absolutely helps make you a better hockey player.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, krutovsdonut said:

he's a longshot to make the team at all given his lack of connection to the us development team.  he marches to his own drumbeat. 

I like this kid a lot.  He's going to be a super star for us.  He's got a nasty streak to him too.  I bet this snub by US hockey only makes the chip on his shoulder even bigger.  He will show himself to be the best U20 defense man in the US, except for Quinn Hughes.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like this kid a lot.  He's going to be a super star for us.  He's got a nasty streak to him too.  I bet this snub by US hockey only makes the chip on his shoulder even bigger.  He will show himself to be the best U20 defense man in the US, except for Quinn Hughes.  

What impresses me is Rathbone is a first pairing D in his rookie season. That is usually reserved for Seniors and Juniors

• Upvote 2

Just now, Fred65 said:

What impresses me is Rathbone is a first pairing D in his rookie season. That is usually reserved for Seniors and Juniors

I think that shows his physical and emotional toughness.  The NCAA is a man's league.  A lot of the players are in their early to mid 20s.  

• Upvote 1

from video, rathbone the rookie ncaa player looks exactly like rathbone the prep high school senior guy.  he's so far ahead on skating that he is just is naturally the top pair guy.   at this level he looks like ray bourque did where everything just naturally channels and goes through him because he is everywhere.

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

from video, rathbone the rookie ncaa player looks exactly like rathbone the prep high school senior guy.  he's so far ahead on skating that he is just is naturally the top pair guy.   at this level he looks like ray bourque did where everything just naturally channels and goes through him because he is everywhere.

Oh my, never thought about Bourque. Interesting comparable. I haven't watched enough to really know his whole game. Only seen highlight clips. But from the clips i've seen he is very quick on his feet and very busy on the ice. I can see why you picked RB as a comparable!

17 hours ago, krutovsdonut said:

lol, now i've done it with that comparison.

for the record, the fact rathbone seems to be johnny on the spot all over the ice retrieving or receiving the puck reminds me of the way bourque was that guy, but the comparison, for now, ends there.  

Nope, you said he is the next Bourque, cant take that back on CDC :frantic:::D

• Haha 2