The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

agreed.  I got to watch Orr live a few times as a kid, Hughes plays a very similar, patient with puck possession kind of style.  Whether he can execute like Orr remains to be determined

Bobby Orr was like our Joe DiMaggio, a superstar and larger-than-life superhero.  Don't recall him being a particularly big or regular hitter, just that he so effortlessly and completely controlled the game and once he had the puck it was his until he chose to give it up because no one was getting it from him.

29 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Bobby Orr was like our Joe DiMaggio, a superstar and larger-than-life superhero.  Don't recall him being a particularly big or regular hitter, just that he so effortlessly and completely controlled the game and once he had the puck it was his until he chose to give it up because no one was getting it from him.

Orr wasn't a small man, particularly for his era. I met him at Bucyk's cabin on Kootenay Lake. In his bathing suit this lower body was huge. Looking at him you could see why he had the power in his legs that he had. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Orr wasn't a small man, particularly for his era. I met him at Bucyk's cabin on Kootenay Lake. In his bathing suit this lower body was huge. Looking at him you could see why he had the power in his legs that he had. 

Read Bobby's book.  Said he started playing at less than 160.  He was amazing, for any size. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think he was in his 3rd year when I met him. 

I met Orr once, when he was older, and not playing any more.  He was built exactly how you describe.  Huge bottom and legs.  I bet he soon got to be 180 plus, once he started to physically mature.  Would have been cool to see him as a younger man.  Thanks for sharing that with us! :rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

That's the element that I see in Hughes.  Orr was the first true rover

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd agree with you there, there are similarities.  As much as I loathe this kind of comparison, his style does remind me of.......gulp.....Orr.  Doubtfull he'll ever be even close to the player that Orr was, but he does play in the same style.

LOL......you're really going out on a limb there with that prediction Stawns. Geez, I would be happy to see Rathbone get to 20% of Orr. I still believe Orr is the greatest player ever in the NHL.............

• Thanks 1

Just now, Rick Blight said:

LOL......you're really going out on a limb there with that prediction Stawns. Geez, I would be happy to see Rathbone get to 20% of Orr. I still believe Orr is the greatest player ever in the NHL.............

I said I it's doubtful that he is ever anything close to Orr, just that he plays a similar style and sees the game in the same way.  Orr is my second all time fave player

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rick Blight said:

I think they're comparing Hughes to Orr.... in the Rathbone thread.  It's ok I got confused too. 

• Haha 1

Every time ive seen Rathbone he’s impressed me....but I’ve only seen him play a small handful of times...he’s also a great skater...not Quinn awesome but still really good. I can’t wait to see how he turns out....he maybe Canucks hiden Gem......or maybe not. 

I wonder when we’ll see him at Canucks training camp. Hopefully next camp and preseason. I’m not sure how long he’s in college for.  Also I guess he’s not signed either. Will he sign before its to late.

Edited by HockeyHarry

3 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

No less egregious either way. 

e·gre·gious
/əˈɡrējəs/
adjective
adjective: egregious
  1. 1.
    outstandingly bad; shocking.
    "egregious abuses of copyright"
    synonyms: shocking, appalling, horrific, horrifying, horrible, terrible, awful, dreadful, grievous, gross, ghastly, hideous, horrendous, frightful, atrocious, abominable, abhorrent, outrageous; More
    monstrous, nightmarish, heinous, harrowing, dire, unspeakable, shameful;
    flagrant, glaring, blatant, scandalous, unforgivable, unpardonable, intolerable
    "an egregious error of judgment"

2. 2.
    archaic
    remarkably good.

OR it could be people having fun on a message board. But hey don't let anyone else's happiness get in the way of your misery. Enjoy that sh__.

There is the eternal optimist in me that thinks you were using the archaic definition and you actually meant it was a remarkably good comparison. I totally agree!

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:
e·gre·gious
/əˈɡrējəs/
adjective
adjective: egregious
  1. 1.
    outstandingly bad; shocking.
    "egregious abuses of copyright"
    synonyms: shocking, appalling, horrific, horrifying, horrible, terrible, awful, dreadful, grievous, gross, ghastly, hideous, horrendous, frightful, atrocious, abominable, abhorrent, outrageous; More
    monstrous, nightmarish, heinous, harrowing, dire, unspeakable, shameful;
    flagrant, glaring, blatant, scandalous, unforgivable, unpardonable, intolerable
    "an egregious error of judgment"

2. 2.
    archaic
    remarkably good.

OR it could be people having fun on a message board. But hey don't let anyone else's happiness get in the way of your misery. Enjoy that sh__.

There is the eternal optimist in me that thinks you were using the archaic definition and you actually meant it was a remarkably good comparison. I totally agree!

Canuckledraggin you have way to much time on your handsB)

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

I met Orr once, when he was older, and not playing any more.  He was built exactly how you describe.  Huge bottom and legs.  I bet he soon got to be 180 plus, once he started to physically mature.  Would have been cool to see him as a younger man.  Thanks for sharing that with us! :rolleyes:

Orr ended up a pretty decent sized guy for his day: 6’ 200 lb.  His rookie card says he was 5’11” 175 - a little bigger than Hughes - who’s to say how big Hughes gets to be.  Rathbone was small when he was drafted, now he’s what 5’11 190 - decent size?

I know I'm on my own here but I think Rathbone will prove to be better than Hughes for us in the NHL. There is just something about how JR reads the game and his effortless gliding skating style that makes me think he has the potential to bloom into something special.

My hit on Hughes is obviously not his skating ability but his capacity to "read" the play and in particular when to part with the puck. At present he covers that to a certain degree by making things happen on his own (as Subban did) but when you are in the NHL, it is much more about how you interact with your team mates and read THEIR ability to interface than just doing your own thing.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I don't mind saying I was probably the first on here to "read" Pouliot and to highlight Subban's deficiencies.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, stawns said:

That's the element that I see in Hughes.  Orr was the first true rover

J.C. Trembley?  I often wonder why more players do't try the patented Trembley play of lifting the puck down the ice to have it drop in front of tenders. Memory suggests to me that he used to get 2 - 3 goals a year that way. I was reminded of that the other day when a Canuck d-man lifted the puck above defenders to have Petey skate onto it and take a shot. 

• Upvote 1

.... Rathbone will prove to be better than Hughes ...

Its well to remember that the Bruins were a long-time basement team before Orr graduated and revolutionized how defenders played the game.  In a different hockey culture era with smaller players, less speed and emphasis on individual performance, an organization desperate to make the play-offs were happy to give Orr his free reign.  Any smart coach at the time would have adjusted team tactics to cover Orr's roving and best utilize his talent.

Nor sure I see that possible in today's NHL, given Travis' hard school of dump-and-chase 200-foot hockey.  How long I wonder, before the natural percentage of Hughes' failed entries or lost possession would wear thin with Green's philosophy?  Or, his personal coaching ego; perhaps job security.  Hughes is already a confident, established college star, and it could be he decides Canuck's brand won't suit his own ego and he sits it out.  Where Jack ends up, or agents worming their financial flattery inside Quin's head, might easily cause him blink. 

I'll not be at all surprised if Hughes' best asset to us lies in a trade for pieces Green views as more urgent.  We just don't presently have enough collective, on-ice hockey IQ to help Quinn become another Bobby Orr.  Green seems dead set against allowing players free expression - Alien is a generational exception and forces Green's hand, a bit Orr-like himself in fact.  But for Travis perhaps, one-yute-at-a-time bucking his beloved, safety-first system is almost more than he cares to handle.

A decent prospect like Rathbone could well develop better than Hughes, if only because as a more orthodox defender, he'd be less likely to be in Green's doghouse thereby receiving more ice-time and favorable coaching.  He wouldn't be having his natural strengths continually coached away, which is what I would fear for Hughes.  Yet, he'd be a fabulous protected addition right now on an established defence like the Preds, maybe even tip the creative balance their way.

Wonder what they'd trade for Hughes?

• Wat 1

38 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

Its well to remember that the Bruins were a long-time basement team before Orr graduated and revolutionized how defenders played the game.  In a different hockey culture era with smaller players, less speed and emphasis on individual performance, an organization desperate to make the play-offs were happy to give Orr his free reign.  Any smart coach at the time would have adjusted team tactics to cover Orr's roving and best utilize his talent.

Nor sure I see that possible in today's NHL, given Travis' hard school of dump-and-chase 200-foot hockey.  How long I wonder, before the natural percentage of Hughes' failed entries or lost possession would wear thin with Green's philosophy?  Or, his personal coaching ego; perhaps job security.  Hughes is already a confident, established college star, and it could be he decides Canuck's brand won't suit his own ego and he sits it out.  Where Jack ends up, or agents worming their financial flattery inside Quin's head, might easily cause him blink. 

I'll not be at all surprised if Hughes' best asset to us lies in a trade for pieces Green views as more urgent.  We just don't presently have enough collective, on-ice hockey IQ to help Quinn become another Bobby Orr.  Green seems dead set against allowing players free expression - Alien is a generational exception and forces Green's hand, a bit Orr-like himself in fact.  But for Travis perhaps, one-yute-at-a-time bucking his beloved, safety-first system is almost more than he cares to handle.

A decent prospect like Rathbone could well develop better than Hughes, if only because as a more orthodox defender, he'd be less likely to be in Green's doghouse thereby receiving more ice-time and favorable coaching.  He wouldn't be having his natural strengths continually coached away, which is what I would fear for Hughes.  Yet, he'd be a fabulous protected addition right now on an established defence like the Preds, maybe even tip the creative balance their way.

Wonder what they'd trade for Hughes?

That is not the hockey the Canucks are playing, AT ALL. This team has become more of a rush offense than the AV days IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Every time ive seen Rathbone he’s impressed me....but I’ve only seen him play a small handful of times...he’s also a great skater...not Quinn awesome but still really good. I can’t wait to see how he turns out....he maybe Canucks hiden Gem......or maybe not. 

I wonder when we’ll see him at Canucks training camp. Hopefully next camp and preseason. I’m not sure how long he’s in college for.  Also I guess he’s not signed either. Will he sign before its to late.

He played in the young Canuck tournament against the Jets young players if I'm not mistaken. He raised more than a few eyebrows.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I know I'm on my own here but I think Rathbone will prove to be better than Hughes for us in the NHL. There is just something about how JR reads the game and his effortless gliding skating style that makes me think he has the potential to bloom into something special.

My hit on Hughes is obviously not his skating ability but his capacity to "read" the play and in particular when to part with the puck. At present he covers that to a certain degree by making things happen on his own (as Subban did) but when you are in the NHL, it is much more about how you interact with your team mates and read THEIR ability to interface than just doing your own thing.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong but I don't mind saying I was probably the first on here to "read" Pouliot and to highlight Subban's deficiencies.

I see what you're saying, but I personally think QH makes plays that would work with better skilled players, such as he will experience in the NHL, and don't work with his peers because they don't think/play at a high enough level as him. He's too good for his level and needs to be in the NHL asap. 

If JR continues his trajectory then we certainly will have something special. If we can eventually have two or three pairings with a pdm and stay-at-home dman, then yeesh the league better watch out for our Nucks. Fingers crossed Benning & co. did, in fact, find another gem in JR. 

• Cheers 1