The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

14 hours ago, cyoung said:

Matthews is an absolute mutant though. Any other examples? Of maybe Canadian kids? It doesn't happen often.

Its probably not the right thing for most kids but the odd kid could handle it.  Learning a new language and culture would be pretty cool and looking back in ones life I think they would be grateful for that. It can also be very scary at that age. I think it would speed up the development curve but definitely take you out of your comfort zone. For most kids playing a couple years close to home in the CHL putting up big numbers is more appealing. In my opinion what you do in the CHL doesn't matter. Its not until you get into the AHL that your stats matter. Lind and Gadjovich are good examples of guys who can get lots of points in the CHL but struggle when playing in the AHL. Gaining the perspective of a pro league in Europe could give you a better picture of what is required to succeed at the AHL level. It helps a lot of the European kids who come over. Most CHL kids are ready for the ECHL and not the AHL. 

I know it hasn't been done a lot before but I don't see why it shouldn't become more common for kids who want to push themselves. 

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Its probably not the right thing for most kids but the odd kid could handle it.  Learning a new language and culture would be pretty cool and looking back in ones life I think they would be grateful for that. It can also be very scary at that age. I think it would speed up the development curve but definitely take you out of your comfort zone. For most kids playing a couple years close to home in the CHL putting up big numbers is more appealing. In my opinion what you do in the CHL doesn't matter. Its not until you get into the AHL that your stats matter. Lind and Gadjovich are good examples of guys who can get lots of points in the CHL but struggle when playing in the AHL. Gaining the perspective of a pro league in Europe could give you a better picture of what is required to succeed at the AHL level. It helps a lot of the European kids who come over. Most CHL kids are ready for the ECHL and not the AHL. 

I know it hasn't been done a lot before but I don't see why it shouldn't become more common for kids who want to push themselves. 

Well that's the thing, I totally agree with you. It just rarely ever happens and my point was that there isn't any reason to believe it will happen. As benificial as it would be.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, AK_19 said:

To anyone who may actually watch Rathbone, is there a reason for the slow down in production? I recall he was close to PPG in the NCAA after the first 10 or so games. 

Don't know for sure, but based on the Beanpot game, it looked like Fox and Walsh are their go-to offensive guys. Rathbone does get some 2nd unit PP time, but he's not utilized in the more offensive situations it seems, whether that's because that's not his game or he's being suppressed is another question.

From what I saw though, I was pleasantly surprised at how he was defensively. Perhaps this is another reason why he's given a different role than the offensive guys. When partnered with Fox, he played the safe defender and let Fox do his thing.

I'd have to see more, but I liked what I saw with the likelihood of him being a potential bottom pairing dman at the NHL level with the possibility of being a 2nd pairing guy with more development.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, kenhodgejr said:

It's not even necessary for the players to learn a new language. For example in the top league in Germany the big chunk of headcoaches are North American. The official hockey language is English. Off the ice the families of north american players tend to spend their leisure time mostly with others from north america. Of course some players embrace the opportunity being in a foreign country to start learning a foreign language.

Personally I think that the top league in Germany would be perfectly suited for north american prospects because

- the north american style of game played in the league

(I guess that approximately 8 teams out of 14 are coached by a north american coach, app. 10 north american players are allowed to play on each team)

- it's a physical game, a north south game and the top teams play an agressive forecheck

- the top teams in the league could easily keep up with the top teams in the AHL

- it's not a development league like the SHL in Sweden, as a prospect you have to fight your way into the lineup,

which is quite a challenge because the top teams are stacked with veterans;

- it would be for sure more fun for the prospects to play in the German league compared to the AHL because

of the crowd and the atmosphere, most of the fans are standing  - no seats in the building in most of the parts, especially behind the end boards. 

- enough NHL veterans around to mentor the prospects / recently read an report which stated that Marcel Goc

(more than 700 NHL games) told Moritz Seider (RHD, draft eligible 2019)  how to make the stride best

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

It's not even necessary for the players to learn a new language. For example in the top league in Germany the big chunk of headcoaches are North American. The official hockey language is English. Off the ice the families of north american players tend to spend their leisure time mostly with others from north america. Of course some players embrace the opportunity being in a foreign country to start learning a foreign language.

Personally I think that the top league in Germany would be perfectly suited for north american prospects because

(I guess that approximately 8 teams out of 14 are coached by a north american coach, app. 10 north american players are allowed to play on each team)

- it's a physical game, a north south game and the top teams play an agressive forecheck

- the top teams in the league could easily keep up with the top teams in the AHL

- it's not a development league like the SHL in Sweden, as a prospect you have to fight your way into the lineup,

- it would be for sure more fun for the prospects to play in the German league compared to the AHL because

of the crowd and the atmosphere, most of the fans are standing  - no seats in the building in most of the parts, especially behind the end boards. 

- enough NHL veterans around to mentor the prospects / recently read an report which stated that Marcel Goc

(more than 700 NHL games) told Moritz Seider (RHD, draft eligible 2019)  how to make the stride best

It's striking a balance between having kids play with men and either showing confidence or destroying confidence. Many youngsters withdraw and take poorly to being some times over their heads. For some it's the bees knees other it's premature quitting the game

On 2/9/2019 at 2:33 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

Great insight! 

Couldn't agree more.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Great pass from Kerfoot, and what a shot from Rathbone! 2-1 Harvard! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoCrimson?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoCrimson</a> <a href="https://t.co/9jHSawyn6U">pic.twitter.com/9jHSawyn6U</a></p>&mdash; Harvard Men&#39;s Hockey (@HarvardMHockey) <a href="https://twitter.com/HarvardMHockey/status/1101656787923591168?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 2, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just now, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just embedding:

Thanks Sid. I am trying to figure out this embedding thing...