The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Question for the CBA experts.  Do we need to sign Rathbone after sophomore year because he went back to high school for D+1 or do we still have until after Junior year?  I assume the former.

As far as the CHL a simple rule tweak to the agreement is that drafted players can't go to AHL in D+1 season.  Less confusing and still seems fair to all parties.  I also have a lot of issues with the CHL.  I won't get into it to much but when the CHL lobby the government collectively to make sure they don't have to follow standard business practices or pay fair wages to these kids I walked away and won't go to their games anymore.  These kids are often pushed out of their homes at a young age.  Ruin their NCAA eligibility.   Get paid almost nothing while making some of their owners millions (I am looking at you Hunters) and have their scholarship opportunities run out in a few years that they sometimes burn off playing in some minor pro league before burning out of hockey. 

Now I am not a great fan of the NCAA either but at least the NCAA is ripping off adults.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Question for the CBA experts.  Do we need to sign Rathbone after sophomore year because he went back to high school for D+1 or do we still have until after Junior year?  I assume the former.

No expert here, but I believe they have until 15th Aug after their senior year before becoming UFA. Rathbone and Madden for instance both must be signed by 15/Aug '22. Starting college the same year, seems to be the contractual trigger. Below is the CapFriendly 'sign by date'.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks/reserve-list

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Thanks @SingleThorn.

So the statement that teams ran away from him because he was going to high school for D+1 makes little sense as it actually bought us an extra year of development.  Nice.  Not looking like he needs four years in college though.

I still think that would leave a bad taste in some GMs mouths (what a weird saying). I get why he did it but i dont think drafting a kid while playing against highschool competition is wise, let alone drafting a kid that plans on playing there again.

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

As far as the CHL a simple rule tweak to the agreement is that drafted players can't go to AHL in D+1 season.  Less confusing and still seems fair to all parties.  I also have a lot of issues with the CHL.  I won't get into it to much but when the CHL lobby the government collectively to make sure they don't have to follow standard business practices or pay fair wages to these kids I walked away and won't go to their games anymore.  These kids are often pushed out of their homes at a young age.  Ruin their NCAA eligibility.   Get paid almost nothing while making some of their owners millions (I am looking at you Hunters) and have their scholarship opportunities run out in a few years that they sometimes burn off playing in some minor pro league before burning out of hockey. 

Now I am not a great fan of the NCAA either but at least the NCAA is ripping off adults.

they get a full year tuition to a Canadian UNiversity for every year of CHL service.  That's not nothing

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I still think that would leave a bad taste in some GMs mouths (what a weird saying). I get why he did it but i dont think drafting a kid while playing against highschool competition is wise, let alone drafting a kid that plans on playing there again.

If you have ever tried haggis, you'd absolutely understand this saying ! It attaches itself to every nook and cranny. Brushing doesn't help ! Scrubbing doesn't help ! Took me three days to get rid of that 'bad taste'. (....I'm told I'm about 10% Scottish, which is why I was stupid enough to think I had to try it. )

1 hour ago, stawns said:

they get a full year tuition to a Canadian UNiversity for every year of CHL service.  That's not nothing

Unless it has changed recently, they are only eligible for that for a few years after leaving the CHL.  Many of them will go play a few years in Europe or minor leagues and their eligibility will expire.  Now as I write this I seem to remember they were changing that rule but it may have only been some of the richer clubs.

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Unless it has changed recently, they are only eligible for that for a few years after leaving the CHL.  Many of them will go play a few years in Europe or minor leagues and their eligibility will expire.  Now as I write this I seem to remember they were changing that rule but it may have only been some of the richer clubs.

you're likely right, but I know a ton of kids who have done it and it's been a life changer for almost all of them.  Given the cost of tuition to a Canadian University, i think it's inaccurate to say they aren't compensated fairly. 

10 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I wonder if the wording of the rule stipulates schooling being started in a certain timeframe or being COMPLETED in a certain timeframe. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

I wonder if the wording of the rule stipulates schooling being started in a certain timeframe or being COMPLETED in a certain timeframe. 

Here are the relevant sections of Article 8.6:

(iii) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive rights of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class.
(iv) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student.

6 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

If you have ever tried haggis, you'd absolutely understand this saying ! It attaches itself to every nook and cranny. Brushing doesn't help ! Scrubbing doesn't help ! Took me three days to get rid of that 'bad taste'. (....I'm told I'm about 10% Scottish, which is why I was stupid enough to think I had to try it. )

Once offered a Scotsman a penny for his thoughts & he certainly pinched it!

On 3/9/2019 at 5:59 AM, 73 Percent said:

He did not do that for hockey reasons, he did that for family/character reasons.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:30 AM, SingleThorn said:

The taste of haggis is why the Scots invented Scotch.

• Cheers 2