The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Despite being eliminated by Clarkson in a 5-2 game, Harvard was selected to play in the NCAA Tournament, so Rathbone's season continues!  If Harvard gets by UMass this Friday, they'll play the winner of Clarkson/ Notre Dame on Saturday.  If they win again they'll be in the Frozen Four.

3 hours ago, dpn1 said:

He has had an amazing season.  I wonder if he may turn pro and play in Utica next year?  He is pretty solid physically so I think he could turn pro if he wanted to.

I think 2020 is a decent bet for Rathbone going pro, if he continues on his current development trajectory. Next season at Harvard, he should get a chance to be the real centrepiece on their back end, with #1 PP duties, and possibly being the main guy on one of their top pairings, often playing with their top forwards at even strength. Should he be given such a role, it will be interesting to see what he does with it, but I think a point per game or better is within his reach, in a prime role, which would put him in the upper echelons of NCAA defenceman, and among the top drafted prospects outside the professional ranks. He might decide to stay beyond his sophomore year, but I could definitely see him being ready to turn pro in a year's time, assuming his progression continues.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think 2020 is a decent bet for Rathbone going pro, if he continues on his current development trajectory. Next season at Harvard, he should get a chance to be the real centrepiece on their back end, with #1 PP duties, and possibly being the main guy on one of their top pairings, often playing with their top forwards at even strength. Should he be given such a role, it will be interesting to see what he does with it, but I think a point per game or better is within his reach, in a prime role, which would put him in the upper echelons of NCAA defenceman, and among the top drafted prospects outside the professional ranks. He might decide to stay beyond his sophomore year, but I could definitely see him being ready to turn pro in a year's time, assuming his progression continues.

Isn't Fox returning to Harvard next year?

Edited by Horvat is a Boss

Definitely been impressed with Rathbones season. I think a lot of us are sleeping on this pick as a prospect. He could be really good for us one day. The only thing that sucks is he will have to play behind Fox for another year. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Definitely been impressed with Rathbones season. I think a lot of us are sleeping on this pick as a prospect. He could be really good for us one day. The only thing that sucks is he will have to play behind Fox for another year. 

Ya it really does slow his development. Not sure why a team like Carolina (who knows Fox wont sign with them) doesn't trade Fox to the Rangers (or another team on Fox's list) now and at least get something out of him.

11 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ya it really does slow his development. Not sure why a team like Carolina (who knows Fox wont sign with them) doesn't trade Fox to the Rangers (or another team on Fox's list) now and at least get something out of him.

Not much incentive for the Rags to trade an asset who will probably sign with them for free in a year.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Not much incentive for the Rags to trade an asset who will probably sign with them for free in a year.

Some though, they get him a year sooner which has the ability to prevent stagnant development. Also he may have a list and therefore Rangers aren't a guarantee, but if they trade for him they would be.

If you can increase your chances of getting a potential top pair defensemen to the point where you know he'll sign with you this offseason, then Im sure one can make the argument to give up a 2nd/3rd round pick for him.

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Some though, they get him a year sooner which has the ability to prevent stagnant development. Also he may have a list and therefore Rangers aren't a guarantee, but if they trade for him they would be.

If you can increase your chances of getting a potential top pair defensemen to the point where you know he'll sign with you this offseason, then Im sure one can make the argument to give up a 2nd/3rd round pick for him.

The problem I see is that if I were Fox, in the end what is an extra year in the NHL even if it's the team i want to play for? The guy is in Harvard with one more year to get a degree. That right there can be worth more than a million dollars of playing in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

Since we're on the topic of Fox, I'd love Benning dangle a third for him. Maybe Goldobin and a late pick gets it done. 

Would help shore* up out right side and give Rathbone a  connection to the team. 

For a guy who has already snubbed his nose at the team that drafted him and the team that traded for him.  He clearly has his eyes on a specific team to land on.