The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

You might have thought about the injury scenario if you had to make a decision on, say, $3,000,000 over the next 2 seasons or stay in school for the next 2 years and risk a career ending injury. :lol:

I am not too worried about Rathbone signing with us but my worst nightmare would be he plays one more season at Harvard, becomes a UFA and signs with Boston to be closer to his brother and family.............I am not too worried, I am not too worried, I am not too worried.

Now I’m too worried!  :picard:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

You might have thought about the injury scenario if you had to make a decision on, say, $3,000,000 over the next 2 seasons or stay in school for the next 2 years and risk a career ending injury. :lol:

I am not too worried about Rathbone signing with us but my worst nightmare would be he plays one more season at Harvard, becomes a UFA and signs with Boston to be closer to his brother and family.............I am not too worried, I am not too worried, I am not too worried.

I like you post.  They always leave me smiling.  B)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I understand everything you are saying and see CuJo's point - and I don't disagree with it at all. 

But I suspect there are many, many guys that while they could give up their scholarships to pursue pro-hockey, don't because they know their chances aren't very good at making a career and they lose their scholarships if they leave school.  These guys, as you indicate, have seen their teammates/friends/relatives leave school, try going pro, don't make it, then be left with no career and no education, and they don't write books about their experiences in the end.  Then they have to pay their way through school themselves - if they even go back.  I recognize there are differences between what we consider high-end prospects and guys that don't even get drafted.  All I guess I'm saying is that there are two sides to every story and each person needs to choose their own path. 

For sure there are different situations for most players. I was talking about CuJo's experience. He actually was never drafted and signed as a free agent with St. Louis. That said he was a NCAA 2nd All-Star. He had half a dozen NHL teams courting him and He knew in advance that his contract would be millions of $. 

If you enjoy reading such books I highly recommend this one. Curtis Joseph had a pretty brutal youth. He says hockey saved him. 

On 1/24/2020 at 1:00 PM, dpn1 said:

I don't think I could play hockey and worry always about whether I would get hurt.  I didn't play CHL or BCHL but I did play for the U of A and really didn't think about getting hurt.  I think more about it now with all the extra pain from old injuries.  :)

Amen to the that. Anywhere there is a joint - shoulders, knees, wrists, fingers are the worst.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Haven't seen Rathbone play before. He's pretty slick with the puck. Good hands & a crisp passer. Good IQ. Speed seems to be closer to average than 'elite'. Looked good on the PP. 

I don’t know. Speed looked pretty elite on an end to end rush just now. Just about tucked it in on the wraparound. 

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I don’t know. Speed looked pretty elite on an end to end rush just now. Just about tucked it in on the wraparound. 

Ya that rush was really nice. Prior to that he didn't seem to have separating speed the few other times he was skating with or after the puck.

Maybe he was just tired, after that rush he didn't have as much pep aswell, perhaps just conditioning. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian

41 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Ya that rush was really nice. Prior to that he didn't seem to have separating speed the few other times he was skating with or after the puck.

Maybe he was just tired, after that rush he didn't have as much pep aswell, perhaps just conditioning. 

He had just returned from injury or illness a couple of games ago. Other times I watched him, hi skating was elite - not Quinn Hughes elite, but very, very good. Apparently we drafted him at about 5'10 170 - now he is 5'11 190. He has a very hard shot and great vision, he can make the long pass.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ray_Cathode said:

He had just returned from injury or illness a couple of games ago. Other times I watched him, hi skating was elite - not Quinn Hughes elite, but very, very good. Apparently we drafted him at about 5'10 170 - now he is 5'11 190. He has a very hard shot and great vision, he can make the long pass.

Yup passing looked very good, very crisp, vision looked good. He's got the smarts to know what to do with the puck quickly. Didn't see the bomb in the part of the game I saw but his puck skills stood out. 

Perhaps illness is it as I had heard prior he had near elite level skating. Very small sample on my part, but there was a few shifts it didn't look quite there (even tho that rush was very impressive). Just being honest about what I saw, its not to rag on the kid. :) Excited to see him in the next game. 

• Cheers 1