The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

Over the past week I’ve been fortunate to see both Rathbone and Woo play in glorious HD on my 55” TV. I’ve always been one to try to keep my expectations in check somewhat....but saying that, both of these guys REALLY impressed me. Differently styles, Jack more offensively orientated while Woo looks to be a future eraser on the defensive end. Loved how Rathbone really drove play. I’m not up to date on Jack’s plans to turn pro if those have come to light recently....but from what I see I say.....young man, GET THEE TO UTICA!

In the Harvard-Northeastern game I thought Rathbone outshone Madden by a considerable margin. Curiously quiet game for Madden....but his team did win. 

Really like the Woo-Bieksa comparisons FWIW.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Three point night for Rathbone, including a primary assist on the PP and the game tying goal:

This gets him to 22 points in 21 games. He had 22 points in 32 games last season — Harvard plays again tomorrow, could set a career high. 

Yeah, he had a different role last year.  After the first few games they moved him off of Fox's unit to the shut down unit, and he played most of the year there.  This year he is first unit all the time, best I can tell.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, he had a different role last year.  After the first few games they moved him off of Fox's unit to the shut down unit, and he played most of the year there.  This year he is first unit all the time, best I can tell.

He’s a much more versatile player than Fox.  Bone (that’s what the guys on the Canucks will call home once he’s here) is just a better player than Fox.  

7 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Hughes - Rafferty

Rathbone - Woo

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Impressive crop. I don't think any of our other depth D is worth a mention.

Brisebois and Utunen are the ones Id keep an eye on. Id like to see a little more size in that group.

If Im Benning Im chasing Barron this draft. Right defender with size who is responsible defensively but can add some offence. 

A Hughes-Rafferty pairing would be amazing offensively but Id worry they'd struggle considerably in their own zone.

12 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

a great pick, excited for this kid, utica bound next year for sure, maybe even some nhl time

same ppg as Quinn Hughes had in his sophomore year

Wow that is impressive.  Obviously different hype coming out of their draft but if the stats and style are similar do we have a second pairing version of Hughes down the road.  Any official comparisons out there from scouts or people here who follow him closely.

8 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Hughes - Rafferty

Rathbone - Woo

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Impressive crop. I don't think any of our other depth D is worth a mention.

As much as I understand the historical consistency of players signing with their draft clubs, I get nervous  every friggen time we have a good NCAA player, that can just stay in one more year and walk away...………….silly me! But there it is. My concern is actually multiplied by the fact that Rathbone was exposed to Fox, who basically called where he was going to play. Paranoid or what!

Does anyone have a recent Rathbone quote on his wanting to sign with Vancouver?

On another related note, with the line up that Ossi just posted, doesn't it make you want to see a little of Rafferty and Juolevi up for a game or 2? I am of the POV, that our RHD problems could be completely solved from within long term. I mean, "IF" Benning's goal is the playoffs, and if injuries occur, we will have to bring up these players anyways, so getting them a game or 2 in, makes perfect sense IMO.

I am not quite at the sky is falling point, but these are the ideas that pop into my head, once in awhile.

First World Problems! LOL

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

As much as I understand the historical consistency of players signing with their draft clubs, I get nervous  every friggen time we have a good NCAA player, that can just stay in one more year and walk away...………….silly me! But there it is. My concern is actually multiplied by the fact that Rathbone was exposed to Fox, who basically called where he was going to play. Paranoid or what!

Does anyone have a recent Rathbone quote on his wanting to sign with Vancouver?

On another related note, with the line up that Ossi just posted, doesn't it make you want to see a little of Rafferty and Juolevi up for a game or 2? I am of the POV, that our RHD problems could be completely solved from within long term. I mean, "IF" Benning's goal is the playoffs, and if injuries occur, we will have to bring up these players anyways, so getting them a game or 2 in, makes perfect sense IMO.

I am not quite at the sky is falling point, but these are the ideas that pop into my head, once in awhile.

First World Problems! LOL

I’m not sure the source, but JR was thrilled that the Canucks had no

issues with his “non traditional “ route to pro hockey. I guess alot of teams were scared off by him playing highschool hockey but the Canucks stood by his decision and for that he feels very loyal. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, reyezone said:

I’m not sure the source, but JR was thrilled that the Canucks had no

issues with his “non traditional “ route to pro hockey. I guess alot of teams were scared off by him playing highschool hockey but the Canucks stood by his decision and for that he feels very loyal. 

Lots of openings coming up on the Canuck’s D coming over the next few years too.  Lots of opportunity for young D to compete for jobs here.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Lots of openings coming up on the Canuck’s D coming over the next few years too.  Lots of opportunity for young D to compete for jobs here.  

Vancouver must be at the top of many lists right now for UFA’s and players with trade protection. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Vancouver must be at the top of many lists right now for UFA’s and players with trade protection. 

Agreed.  Very young core that puts up a lot of goals.  Goals equal points.  Points equal more money on contracts.  Guys are definitely going to be wanting to sign here, so they can cash in on their following contracts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1