The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

59 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't think he'll be quite as good as Hughes, but if he's 75% of what Hughes is, we got one hell of a mid round pick.

I'd say he's more of an Adam Fox. Which, combined with Quinn Hughes, is one hell of a 1-2 punch on D.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

While he is in his 2nd year technically he should be in his 3rd year. He delayed going to college to remain close to his family. It’s just while he’s in his 2nd year like the players you’ve mentioned he’s a year older and in some cases 2 years older than some of the players.

His numbers still hold up in his rookie year when he was the same age as those second year players. 7 goals, 22 points in 33 games last year. 

1 hour ago, dank.sinatra said:

His numbers still hold up in his rookie year when he was the same age as those second year players. 7 goals, 22 points in 33 games last year. 

Rathbone’s age and comparables are irrelevant. There are only three questions that need answers with Rathbone:

1. Is he ready to turn pro?  If yes, proceed to training camp. If no, back to Harvard.

2. Is he NHL ready? If yes, make him the seventh guy and work him in gradually. If no, send him to Utica to play a ton.

3. Is he ready to start in the top six in the NHL? If yes, pair him with a veteran and let him learn. If no, probably send him to Utica with instructions that he play twenty minutes a night in all situations.

We as Canucks fans have been spoiled by how quickly Bo, Boeser, and particularly Petey and Hughes have made an impact at such a young age. We can’t reasonably expect that Rathbone will have the same immediate impact. It would be great if he was able to play effectively and chip in a few goals and assists. I guess I am suggesting that if he DOESN’T make a big splash, that doesn’t mean he’s a disappointment or a failure. I think he will turn out to be a good player but it may take awhile. 

2 hours ago, dank.sinatra said:

They hold up a little less in comparison. I wasn’t trying to discredit anything about Rathbone as a prospect lol. I feel like people are getting defensive. I just wanted to remind people that Rathbone decided to take another year before going to college. It seems like people forget that when pulling up stats. So his 2nd year should be stacked up to his peers 3rd years if you want to have a closer match to age and progression since being drafted.

Edited by flickyoursedin

He's going to be a good player in my opinion. His skating gets him out of trouble right now though, I've seen highlights of him chasing behind the net leaving the slot open. He just needs to simplify defensively and stick to a system where he can use his skills to win his battles, and transition from there. The tendency is to try and do it all because for a long time he probably has been able to do that. He could be a 40 point dman in the NHL. 1 more year in college probably makes the most sense. 

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

From reading this forum, watching highlight pacakges and previous prospect camp scrimmages, he seem like a lite-version of Quinn Hughes. He is also more of a shooter where Hughes is more of a passer.

Rathbone has a bit more grit to his game than Hughes and that is by no means a knock on Hughes. Hughes is at his best just playing the way he does. Rathbone is also not an elite skater when compared to Hughes but both have elements to their games that make them valuable players.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, zimmy said:

For those of us hanging out in these forums I don’t know if that is even possible. 

Considering some of the ignorant comments we see in Tram's thread, apparently it is. Like, "D'uh, are you guys still obsessing over that guy? You know he's never coming back, he hates Vancouver cuz it stinks of pot. And he's useless anyway, don't you know he's just a 3rd pairing Dman in an inferior league."

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

From reading this forum, watching highlight pacakges and previous prospect camp scrimmages, he seem like a lite-version of Quinn Hughes. He is also more of a shooter where Hughes is more of a passer.

Bones is more like Dahlin. He’s certainly going to be good, but he’s not Hughes.  

1 hour ago, gizmo2337 said:

If I am reading the schedule right, last 2 games for Harvard are this weekend Fri/Sat back to back? Doesn't look like they make the playoffs. Does this mean we might try and sign him early next week?

Harvard will qualify for the ECAC tournament, which is happening in March. They’d probably need to win that tourney to actually advance to the regionals for the National tournament, since they aren’t a top-20 team and won’t qualify on their rankings. So most likely they’ll be done sometime mid-to-late March (not sure the ECAC schedule this year) and won’t see Frozen Four action this April.

TL;DR: they aren’t done this weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1