The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Much more likely that they let the older, more expensive player walk rather than move their younger, cost controlled asset who could effectively replace him. 

I get that he's their captain, but tough decisions have to be made. 

Parayko doesn't replace Pietrangelo.  Let's not carried away here.  Pietrangelo runs their first PP unit and has double the points of Parayko.  Pietrangelo is their #1 defenceman.  You don't just let your #1 Dman who averages 24 minutes a night walk away for free in the summer...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Much more likely that they let the older, more expensive player walk rather than move their younger, cost controlled asset who could effectively replace him. 

I get that he's their captain, but tough decisions have to be made. 

He couldn't replace him. Parayko is good but not quite at his level. Big physical defenseman also have a much shorter shelf life.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Parayko doesn't replace Pietrangelo.  Let's not carried away here.  Pietrangelo runs their first PP unit and has double the points of Parayko.  Pietrangelo is their #1 defenceman.  You don't just let your #1 Dman who averages 24 minutes a night walk away for free in the summer...

4 hours ago, cyoung said:

He couldn't replace him. Parayko is good but not quite at his level. Big physical defenseman also have a much shorter shelf life.

Paryako couldn't replace all of Pietrangelo's offense, but he's capable of playing those minutes. You don't think Paryako's point totals would jump playing on the first unit powerplay?

I agree that no team would let their #1 defenseman (and captain) walk, but every decision has to be made with the cap implications in mind especially now that we could actually see a cap reduction next year. 

27 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Paryako couldn't replace all of Pietrangelo's offense, but he's capable of playing those minutes. You don't think Paryako's point totals would jump playing on the first unit powerplay?

I agree that no team would let their #1 defenseman (and captain) walk, but every decision has to be made with the cap implications in mind especially now that we could actually see a cap reduction next year. 

I don’t think Parayko can run a power play like Pietrangelo. Not even close. He’s not a 50 point guy. But he would be a great partner to a guy like Quinn Hughes. 

On March 13, 2020 at 5:13 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Bone will play in Utica next year.  However the year after yes I can see him in our top 4.  At this point he is ahead of Juolevi and I can see Bone as the replacement to Edler with a bigger meaner player taking the 3rd spot on the left side.  Either Tryamkin if he doesn't crack the top 4 or if he does a player like Joel Edmundson.  Trade Boeser for Parayko and sign Edmundson as a UFA...

Hughes         Parayko

Rathbone      Tryamkin

Edmundson   Rafferty

That could be the filthiest defence in the NHL...

We must sign a two way D man  #2 D guy.. Have to replace Tanev so most important thing this summer..

Need to move away from the valuable Tanev alway injured and UFA this summer demanding at least 4 years x 4.8 million..

Must sign Taffolii first 4 yrs x 5 .2 million.... Then trade Boser for Top end D man like Damon Severson, 6'2, 25, solid D guy, NJ Devils

23 hours ago, wildcam said:

We must sign a two way D man  #2 D guy.. Have to replace Tanev so most important thing this summer..

Need to move away from the valuable Tanev alway injured and UFA this summer demanding at least 4 years x 4.8 million..

Fun to say, but who exactly?

Vatanen's hurt just as much as Tanev is. 

Barrie's an upgrade offensively but... I'm guessing he gets the Gardiner treatment this summer.

Is Schultz an upgrade?

We're pretty much left with Pietrangelo as the lone, actual upgrade. Are we paying him $8-10m x 6 or 7 years...?

Pysyk I'd maybe entertain largely due to him being younger but he's not likely an 'upgrade'.

On 3/15/2020 at 9:02 PM, Coconuts said:

I'd argue that Chara's an exception tbh 

There are big, physical D who have lengthy, successful careers but Chara is far from being the norm 

Shea Weber? Myers now in his twelfth season? Dustin Byfuglien fourteen seasons? Brent Burns sixteen years? I think you need to demonstrate your contention cuz there is a long history of big, physical defencemen with long careers just as there is a huge list of smaller defencemen with very short careers. The biassing factor may well be that teams have often chosen big skilled defencemen over smaller skilled defencemen and have been willing to accept a little les skill if the player has more size. Ceteris paribus size is a benefit for players that often gives them the ability to inflict more pain and injury than they receive.

3 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Shea Weber? Myers now in his twelfth season? Dustin Byfuglien fourteen seasons? Brent Burns sixteen years? I think you need to demonstrate your contention cuz there is a long history of big, physical defencemen with long careers just as there is a huge list of smaller defencemen with very short careers. The biassing factor may well be that teams have often chosen big skilled defencemen over smaller skilled defencemen and have been willing to accept a little les skill if the player has more size. Ceteris paribus size is a benefit for players that often gives them the ability to inflict more pain and injury than they receive.

Which contention? Chara not being the norm? Because I certainly wasn't saying there aren't and haven't been larger D who've had long, successful careers. In fact, I was saying the opposite. 

My argument for Chara being an exceptional cased is based on a few things. For one, his size. He's the largest NHL player to have ever played to my knowledge, he's a known fitness fanatic who goes beyond what's typically expected of pro players. He's in the same realm as the Sedins, Rod the Bod, Jagr, ect. His commitment to fitness is legendary. He's slowing down, but he's always skated pretty well for such a massive man while remaining effective into his forties. He's also been incredibly durable and productive over the course of his career while playing a sound defensive game. It helps that he's so big, but when you're a #1D guys come for you regardless of how big you are.  

There are many larger D men who've had long, successful careers but the number of them I'd compare to Chara isn't very big. 

Yeah he's been an exceptional player, from his days in PG to his lengthy career in Boston. But … but I saw cracks in his game this season, I'm happy tp report. I understand he has the first dollar he made and is renowned as a tight wad so maybe he will sign again but this time he ain't going to be the dominant player he once was, still big and makes every other player on the roster 6" taller. I hope he goes before he becomes a joke on the ice 

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sign this guy up Jim!!!!!

it would be some very nice news to see signings of both Rathbone and Tryamkin soon. I heard on 1040 that signings are on hold for now, not sure if thats actually true or not tho, it is 1040 after all. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would be some very nice news to see signings of both Rathbone and Tryamkin soon. I heard on 1040 that signings are on hold for now, not sure if thats actually true or not tho, it is 1040 after all. 

Didn't some team sign a player the other day?  That's what I read in another thread.  But yeah I think those 2 are the most important by far.  Tryamkin can immediately step into our top 6 and Rathbone can play a prominent role in Utica next year and be a top call up.  I see Rathbone as being a regular in 2 years and has the potential to be another Adam Fox.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1