The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Maybe a one way contract so his pay doesn't go down in Utica,  ie if he gets sent down next year after camp

He has to play two more years before he has the option of UFA. He's just a sophomore.

It wont be a disaster if he does not sign this summer.

He might though?

Utica is not thaat that far from his family. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I suspect that had the season played out as usual, he'd have been keen to sign ASAP. because he would get to FA a year quicker. Now he can't write off a year of his ELC with 9-10 games at the end of the season, so ….. he's saying what's the rush their is no advantage to me signing until Spring 2021. There may be a ruling by the NHL in the near future covering this eventuality but I'm not holding my breath

We were in a play off race.

He may, probably would not have gotten in enough games to roll over the 1st year of his ELC. Or does it click as soon as he plays a game?

Honest question...

Sidebar, if he signs after May 20 next spring? His birthday. I believe at age 22 his ELC does not have to be so long. Another question?

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Maybe a one way contract so his pay doesn't go down in Utica,  ie if he gets sent down next year after camp

why would you want to set that precedent?

they guarenteed Tryamkin NHL time without AHL time, how'd that work out for us?

1 minute ago, lmm said:

why would you want to set that precedent?

they guarenteed Tryamkin NHL time without AHL time, how'd that work out for us?

Tryamkin is a different case this time, he's 25 and has a proven 79 NHL games under his belt. That was dealt with last time.

But this is about a prospect coming out of college. Besides Rathbone may want to stay in school. But we will definitely need cost saving ELC contracts in the next few years with Petie needing to be resigned $$. ie Rathbone, Hoglander, Podz to contribute at ELC rates. 

Just now, lmm said:

So are  you going to offer Pedz and Hog a 1 way as well? they are both higher draft picks than rathbone

ELC's are never one way.

But, primarily Euro's, negotiate out clauses. Where if they are not in the NHL they can return to Europe versus go to the AHL.

Its a CBA vs world market problem They can sometimes get paid $400,000 or $500,000 tax free in the KHL or $200,000 in Sweden. Vs $80,000 or $85,000 as the minor league salary on their ELC. Plus be close to home, ride planes not a bus, etc.. Some are happy to develop in the AHL. Others don't think its such a good deal?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

We'll see i guess. I think we need to see first we need to sign Taffoli and Jake becomes a RFA next year.

Hogz and Podz would need to replace maybe some very good role players in our bottom 6.

Between Tanev, Toffoli, Markstrom UFA, maybe Pearson via trade?

As well as cap dump bait Eriksson, Baertschi, some argue Sutter, Baegle, Stecher even (gasp) Meier. We will be losing at least two, if not four or five veterans.

Nobody should be shocked if one is Toffoli! And as fans I do not encourage the fan pressure in Canadian markets which results in key players being overpaid. 

If Stecher and Tanev are gone? Cannot see both personally. It would, however, be a fantastic opportunity for Rathbone & Rafferty.

13 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

ELC's are never one way.

But, primarily Euro's, negotiate out clauses. Where if they are not in the NHL they can return to Europe versus go to the AHL.

Its a CBA vs world market problem They can sometimes get paid $400,000 or $500,000 tax free in the KHL or $200,000 in Sweden. Vs $80,000 or $85,000 as the minor league salary on their ELC. Plus be close to home, ride planes not a bus, etc.. Some are happy to develop in the AHL. Others don't think its such a good deal?

if ECLs are never one way, how can we offer Rathbone a one way like Hairy suggested?

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

if ECLs are never one way, how can we offer Rathbone a one way like Hairy suggested?

I don't think we can.  Out clause? Yes.  Same as Tryamkin had. At least for the European draftee's. 

Jack I am not sure about. 

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't think we can.  Out clause? Yes.  Same as Tryamkin had. At least for the European draftee's. 

Jack I am not sure about. 

then I guess this argument is over

but on principle I think giving favours to players with no NHL experience is setting ourselves up for future pain and embarrassment

In the long run it seems the Canucks have only castrated themselves with clauses

whether its was Kesler, the entire D core, Hansen, Higgins, Luongo, Ericksson, (some of these have the double wammy of too much $ to trade irregardless of clauses.

I will say that Jim did better last offseason with clauses and mostly shorter contracts

now is not the time to go back to bad contracts

22 minutes ago, lmm said:

then I guess this argument is over

but on principle I think giving favours to players with no NHL experience is setting ourselves up for future pain and embarrassment

In the long run it seems the Canucks have only castrated themselves with clauses

whether its was Kesler, the entire D core, Hansen, Higgins, Luongo, Ericksson, (some of these have the double wammy of too much $ to trade irregardless of clauses.

I will say that Jim did better last offseason with clauses and mostly shorter contracts

now is not the time to go back to bad contracts

This signing ELC and playing them for 10 games is a pretty standard for most clubs, especially for NCAA FA's

12 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

This signing ELC and playing them for 10 games is a pretty standard for most clubs, especially for NCAA FA's

no argument there.

Hairy suggested a one way contract to pay Rathbone NHL $ even if he played in the AHL

I think that is a can of worms and a road we have already traveled with poor results

How do Entry-Level Contracts Work?

Players younger than 25 years of age as of September 15 during the year of their first NHL contract must sign an entry-level contract which have set limitations - all entry-level contracts are two-way contracts and the maximum allowable salary for players drafted until 2022 is $925,000.

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
  • 18-21 years of age: 3 years
  • 22-23 years of age: 2 years
  • 24 years of age: 1 year

Entry-level contracts can still include signing and performance bonuses. Signing bonuses may not exceed 10 percent of the contract’s total compensation, and is paid to players annually. Performance bonuses for entry-level contracts, that are paid by the team and count against the salary cap cannot exceed a maximum of $2,850,000. Performance Bonuses are broken into 2 categories: Schedule A and Schedule B. Schedule A Bonuses may not exceed $212,500 per individual bonus, and $850,000 in total. There are two types of Schedule B Bonuses. League-wide award/trophy bonuses that are paid by the league and are not captured within the actual entry-level contract signed by the player, and player & club agreed upon bonuses, of which the maximum is $2million per season.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He has to play two more years before he has the option of UFA. He's just a sophomore.

He might though?

He can become a UFA after his junior year because he sat out his first year of eligibility.

With Harvard pulling out of the ECAC tournament, Jack Rathbone's NCAA season has ended. the Canucks can now attempt to sign him. If he returns for a junior campaign, he can become a UFA as of Aug. 15, '21. This will be a major moment for the club's top defensive prospect.Mar 16, 2020

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

He might though?

I read a post on here that suggested that because Jack didn't play in college in his first eligible year (stayed home for his brother) that his timeline to UFA is a year earlier (after next season) despite him not playing the typical years of college.

With that said, we continually hear from our college prospects, especially drafted in the later rounds, that they are very appreciative of the Canucks putting their faith in them and are generally committed to Vancouver because they've been shown respect by our club with whatever career path they choose. We draft for character and Jack seems no different than the others that we have drafted as demonstrated with his family values. I'm not all too concerned with him playing another year taking him to potential UFA.

• Like 1

I was reading the CBA on Bonus's

I am of the camp that it is important to get Rathbone sign asap

I believe if you have a solid prospect, that you get him signed immediately

So, First things first...…….signing bonus ( 925,000 ish ELC), so 92,500 bonus

Then a performance bonus of  ( 150,000 for games played 9)

Plus a additional points bonus (performance bonus of  (150,000 for over 25 points)

or more...…..

IMO, if he is as good as thought, he will be worth it, and it will take away the draw to finish college

From everything I have read, and seen, he is a very solid player, who will step right in, as did Adam Fox in NYR

In the end......Bennings call, obviously......but IMO, he is worth it

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1