The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

On 4/9/2020 at 7:21 PM, janisahockeynut said:

I was reading the CBA on Bonus's

I am of the camp that it is important to get Rathbone sign asap

I believe if you have a solid prospect, that you get him signed immediately

So, First things first...…….signing bonus ( 925,000 ish ELC), so 92,500 bonus

Then a performance bonus of  ( 150,000 for games played 9)

Plus a additional points bonus (performance bonus of  (150,000 for over 25 points)

or more...…..

IMO, if he is as good as thought, he will be worth it, and it will take away the draw to finish college

From everything I have read, and seen, he is a very solid player, who will step right in, as did Adam Fox in NYR

In the end......Bennings call, obviously......but IMO, he is worth it

There are no NHL games being played, and we might be going to a reality of playing to empty NHL arenas next year.  So much uncertainty and so much potential if you finish up your Harvard degree.  

I think it's a no brainer that he stays in school one more year.  

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

There are no NHL games being played, and we might be going to a reality of playing to empty NHL arenas next year.  So much uncertainty and so much potential if you finish up your Harvard degree.  

I think it's a no brainer that he stays in school one more year.  

Honestly, if I was him, with the ability to finish at any time, and/or do summer school, and I had the opportunity to be a pro hockey player that paid a years of income in a signing bonus, I think I would be signing. Especially if he believes he can make it, and Especially, with the off chance that I could get injured and never have that opportunity, however small of risk that is.

I get it is Harvard, but is he a hockey player that have enormous skill and an almost guaranteed NHL career or is he a wanta be AHLer that has only a chance? I think the choice is changed by the fact that he can go back and get his degree very easily. 

If I remember rightly, Randy Greg finished a medical degree, while playing in the NHL, so it is done. 

I don't think it has much to do whether there is people in the stands or not. But it does matter, if there is a postponed season or not. In saying that, if there is a postponed season, then most likely the NCAA will not be playing and only online schooling happening. So IMO, his risk is much lighter, playing in the NHL, than playing and going to school. It is much easier to control 30 hockey players and staff, than 1000's of college students.

Not to mention, that the quicker he gets an NHL contract, the better off his family will be post COVID-19.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Honestly, if I was him, with the ability to finish at any time, and/or do summer school, and I had the opportunity to be a pro hockey player that paid a years of income in a signing bonus, I think I would be signing. Especially if he believes he can make it, and Especially, with the off chance that I could get injured and never have that opportunity, however small of risk that is.

I get it is Harvard, but is he a hockey player that have enormous skill and an almost guaranteed NHL career or is he a wanta be AHLer that has only a chance? I think the choice is changed by the fact that he can go back and get his degree very easily. 

If I remember rightly, Randy Greg finished a medical degree, while playing in the NHL, so it is done. 

I don't think it has much to do whether there is people in the stands or not. But it does matter, if there is a postponed season or not. In saying that, if there is a postponed season, then most likely the NCAA will not be playing and only online schooling happening. So IMO, his risk is much lighter, playing in the NHL, than playing and going to school. It is much easier to control 30 hockey players and staff, than 1000's of college students.

Not to mention, that the quicker he gets an NHL contract, the better off his family will be post COVID-19.

Yeah some folks have a funny notion about college players. Finishing degrees before leaving is for long shots, not guys with legit chances to play pro.

99.9% of players with legit shots to play pro are FAR better off going pro and making more money, sooner than later and getting on to bridge etc deals in what can be short, injury risking careers. 

And as you point out, they can always finish degrees later, during summer etc.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yeah some folks have a funny notion about college players. Finishing degrees before leaving is for long shots, not guys with legit chances to play pro.

99.9% of players with legit shots to play pro are FAR better off going pro and making more money, sooner than later and getting on to bridge etc deals in what can be short, injury risking careers. 

in Jacks case I could see personal reasons playing into it, with wanting to be close to his bro and wanting to be a support that way. I'm sure Boston would sign him in a heartbeat given the chance. I wouldn't begrudge the kid if being close to family was his main priority in where he played. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

in Jacks case I could see personal reasons playing into it, with wanting to be close to his bro and wanting to be a support that way. I'm sure Boston would sign him in a heartbeat given the chance. I wouldn't begrudge the kid if being close to family was his main priority in where he played. 

I know where you are coming from and it is a great sentimental feeling. But, regardless of it all these "kids" who want to become PRO athletes with the ability to make Millions of Dollars go into this journey knowing that they can't play for the team down the road for an entire career. I mean it could happen, but very rare. if he wants to be close to home, finish your degree and get a 9-5 desk job making a normal wage.

We have Boeser who plays in Van but has his family in Minnesota. I hope Rathbone signs with us and eventually plays as I see potential in him. But if he doesn't want to sign here then behind close doors tell JB that and we then try to recoup a decent asset or pick for him.

I like being somewhat close to home or with half a day of driving I can visit all my family. That said, to be a pro athlete I would live far away. Short term sacrifice with life altering wages to compensate you along the way

On 4/11/2020 at 1:46 PM, aGENT said:

What's a long shot to you, less then 10% to play more then 100 games in the NHL? Less then 5%?  

If you are drafted outside of the 1st round, you are a long shot to make the NHL and stick.  

21 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

What's a long shot to you, less then 10% to play more then 100 games in the NHL? Less then 5%?  

If you are drafted outside of the 1st round, you are a long shot to make the NHL and stick.  

Well yes and no...………….

In Rathbones case he was on the team last year, with Adam Fox on it.

"IF" he looks to be of similar calibre, and it appears to be the case

Well then yes...go for it! If he is struggling and not a good comparison well

Stay in school laddie!

NCAA players are a little different than CAHA juniors

A way different scenario...………...but it is always flipping the dice, for sure

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Draft position matters little after your drafted.

It's what you actually do on the ice.

• Cheers 1

On 4/11/2020 at 4:33 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

+1 fully agree.

Money and personal fame isn't always valued the same for hockey players, sometimes there is a bigger narrative/picture at the play that makes a lot more sense for them personally whether it be family situations, finishing school etc.

The selfishness of the fan in me wants him to sign right away, but the human part of me understands if he wants to finish what he started at Harvard and/or frankly doesn't want to sign at all.  Considering the circumstances with his brother having autism, I can fully appreciate that notion of wanting to stay as close for as long as possible as he can.  I work very closely with people who have autism and one particular hard issue for those who have autism is when very key people in their life leave or are far away in distance.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

https://www.canucksautism.ca/

The Canucks organization is very involved with people with autism. Jack and his family will get a lot of support and understanding through this situation and will make things work. The Canucks were clearly aware of the situation and still took a chance on him while other teams didn't because they know they can support them and felt like he would be a great player for us especially with his character. It would seem very out of character for him to not sign with the team that has given him the confidence and support through this time. I'm not too concerned if he stays in Harvard even if it takes him to FA.

There's also the consideration that if he signs with us, he might be spending the year in Utica anyway which is a 4 hour drive from his hometown (a shorter flight). 

If he intends to stay close to home, then surely he will let us know of his intentions (again because of his character) and we will work on a deal with Boston or whatever team is closer.

These are great points.  The fact that Jack basically took a year off to be with his brother shows his true character.  A guy you want to play and go to war with.  Why would a guy like that with so much integrity blow off the one team that gave him a chance to be drafted and said no problem to taking a year off?  Doesn't make sense to me.  He will sign with Vancouver, and he will most likely play in Utica next year, which allows him to be a short drive away from his family and brother.  Once he makes the Canucks and becomes an NHL player then he will have to work that out with his family.  It's not like if he was playing in Boston he would be able to be with his brother every day anyways.  He would still be away 50% of the time traveling.

Like all players, he can spend the summers back home.  That is the life of a professional athlete.  Jack Rathbone is a true character guy.  A guy Vancouver will be lucky to have.  And he's a darn good defenceman as well.  He is going to have a great NHL career playing with Quinn in Vancouver.  Those two will be lights out on the PP.  Jack will have a great NHL career.  I can't remember a time when the Canucks had not one but TWO elite puck moving defencemen at the same time with elite skating.  

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

These are great points.  The fact that Jack basically took a year off to be with his brother shows his true character.  A guy you want to play and go to war with.  Why would a guy like that with so much integrity blow off the one team that gave him a chance to be drafted and said no problem to taking a year off?  Doesn't make sense to me.  He will sign with Vancouver, and he will most likely play in Utica next year, which allows him to be a short drive away from his family and brother.  Once he makes the Canucks and becomes an NHL player then he will have to work that out with his family.  It's not like if he was playing in Boston he would be able to be with his brother every day anyways.  He would still be away 50% of the time traveling.

Like all players, he can spend the summers back home.  That is the life of a professional athlete.  Jack Rathbone is a true character guy.  A guy Vancouver will be lucky to have.  And he's a darn good defenceman as well.  He is going to have a great NHL career playing with Quinn in Vancouver.  Those two will be lights out on the PP.  Jack will have a great NHL career.  I can't remember a time when the Canucks had not one but TWO elite puck moving defencemen at the same time with elite skating.  

IMO the NBA reducing their playing age back to 18 will possibly impact collegiate attitudes towards signing NHL contracts. The value of a NHL contract cannot be understated. The reality is that making the NHL has many challenges. One of those is some kind of financial security. Boeser signed for that purpose as his family needed help. If that security is possibly threatened by injury then signing makes a lot of sense. I suspect this is playing a big part in Rathbone's decision.   

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

IMO the NBA reducing their playing age back to 18 will possibly impact collegiate attitudes towards signing NHL contracts. The value of a NHL contract cannot be understated. The reality is that making the NHL has many challenges. One of those is some kind of financial security. Boeser signed for that purpose as his family needed help. If that security is possibly threatened by injury then signing makes a lot of sense. I suspect this is playing a big part in Rathbone's decision.   

I agree.  A college player is taking a big risk by waiting it out to sign an NHL contract.  What if they get injured and are out long term?  If a team like Vancouver is waiving a contract at you I think if you are planning to play in the NHL at some point you take it.  There have been a few college players who have waited it out the full 4 years and changed teams, but they are in the minority.  There is nothing to suspect Rathbone would be in that category.  I think he signs a contract this summer and I think he is playing in Utica next year with the possibility he gets called up to the big team during the season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Rathbone took an injury risk year when he skipped college for a year to stay closer to home. No reason why he wouldn't consider that again and ignore the financial aspect (I imagine a player that could attend Harvard isn't in financial hardship, but I don't know if he simply has a full scholarship paid because he's playing for them). His priority has always been his family, yet still maintaining a high level of training and playing. A very good attribute.

I think the Canucks being understanding of his situation and not pressuring him to sign in fears that he could walk will bode well with his character and his confidence that we will continue to support him as an organization no matter what his decision may be. I just think if he really wants to stay close to home even during his professional career, then I think he would respect us enough (as we are showing him) to let us know his intentions early and allow us to make the proper moves.

21 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Rathbone took an injury risk year when he skipped college for a year to stay closer to home. No reason why he wouldn't consider that again and ignore the financial aspect (I imagine a player that could attend Harvard isn't in financial hardship, but I don't know if he simply has a full scholarship paid because he's playing for them). His priority has always been his family, yet still maintaining a high level of training and playing. A very good attribute.

I think the Canucks being understanding of his situation and not pressuring him to sign in fears that he could walk will bode well with his character and his confidence that we will continue to support him as an organization no matter what his decision may be. I just think if he really wants to stay close to home even during his professional career, then I think he would respect us enough (as we are showing him) to let us know his intentions early and allow us to make the proper moves.

I'm almost certain he is on a scholarship, likely a full ride. None the less there are costs. The Canucks are not able to talk to Rathbone or any other NCAA player or they loose their scholarship and the right to play in the NCAA. You have to wonder if his desire to stay close to home might spur him onto requesting trade to a local team, who knows. I recall JB stating that every GM in the league brings Rathbone up in talks.

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I'm almost certain he is on a scholarship, likely a full ride. None the less there are costs. The Canucks are not able to talk to Rathbone or any other NCAA player or they loose their scholarship and the right to play in the NCAA. You have to wonder if his desire to stay close to home might spur him onto requesting trade to a local team, who knows. I recall JB stating that every GM in the league brings Rathbone up in talks.

Talking with the player is allowed. They cannot participate in any pro events and the Canucks cannot pay for anything. Rathbone has been to summer camps on his own dime and other college prospects have said how they've appreciated the Canucks understanding in their decisions and therefore must be in communication with them.

If that is his desire to stay close to home, then I hope he gives us ample opportunity to make the best move for us rather than pressuring us into a last minute move. This is something of his character and the mutual respect that is hopefully shown on each side that should allow this situation to move forward in the best possible direction.

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Talking with the player is allowed. They cannot participate in any pro events and the Canucks cannot pay for anything. Rathbone has been to summer camps on his own dime and other college prospects have said how they've appreciated the Canucks understanding in their decisions and therefore must be in communication with them.

If that is his desire to stay close to home, then I hope he gives us ample opportunity to make the best move for us rather than pressuring us into a last minute move. This is something of his character and the mutual respect that is hopefully shown on each side that should allow this situation to move forward in the best possible direction.

Not sure about speaking to players in the NCAA. I understand NCAA coaches are allowed to speak on 4 occasions prior to them committing to the school and each contact must be logged. It's my belief that teams may speak to the players advisor only. Failure to do so results in the player losing his NCAA status. The NCAA is a cash cow for universities and the guard it fiercely.

Tough call for Rathbone, divulging choices, brother of team

37 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Not sure about speaking to players in the NCAA. I understand NCAA coaches are allowed to speak on 4 occasions prior to them committing to the school and each contact must be logged. It's my belief that teams may speak to the players advisor only. Failure to do so results in the player losing his NCAA status. The NCAA is a cash cow for universities and the guard it fiercely.

Like Theo said they can talk to the player as well as his representation if they so choose, as long as there is no money changing hands. Otherwise he would not be allowed to go to camp on his own dime.

Edited by Vanuckles
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Whether it's through advisors or what not, there is a communication channel between team and player. 

“He reminds me a lot of Adam Gaudette,” Johnson says, referring to the fifth-round pick who played his way on to the Canucks from Northeastern University. “He looks you in the eyes and takes in information, and he’s going to do everything and anything he can to be an NHL player. He’s just a hockey player through and through.”

This is from an article of Ryan Johnson discussing Rathbone. Hard to look someone in the eyes and when you can't talk to them directly. Rathbone also attended a summer showcase a couple of years back, which included Madden. Gaudette was also an attendee while in college still. I can't imagine the Canucks avoided talking to their college guys during these events.