One factor is that basically the NHL is gong to basically have to fund the AHL or some version of it.  They can’t really function without it.

Teams need a pool or call ups in case of injury/trades.  The same as they need a big roster for this playoffs.  At a minimum an NHL team is going to need access to 4D extra, 4 Wingers extra; 2 centres extra; and 2 extra Goalies.

If the AHL isn’t running, the league/teams are going to have to arrange their own development systems/camps/tourneys to keep their minor league guys in game shape and ready for call ups.  If they are going to go to that expense, why not just subsidize the AHL affiliate.

The complicating factor is how cross border travel will be handled by then.  Obviously 14 day quarantines can’t exist if your AHL affiliate is in the USA.  We could be seeing temporary shifts in division games to us only playing Canadian teams for a while.  It would also necessitate a sudden move of our affiliate to Abbotsford.

Many AHL teams need income from ticket sales to survive. I read some place a lot of AHL players are scrambling to find homes in Europe. Where  Rathbone fits who knows. I believe he has to declare 48 hours after the new CBA is signed. Heck NHL owners are going to have a bad time holding their teams together. As one owner mentioned many owners are being hit in their primary business never mind their play thing, AHL/NHL The word I keep hearing is the NHL resumes in January 2021. Think of the arenas that are club owned. Man this is a compounding problem which ever way you look at it. Maybe they should Furlough Bettman  for starters :lol:

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Many AHL teams need income from ticket sales to survive. I read some place a lot of AHL players are scrambling to find homes in Europe. Where  Rathbone fits who knows. I believe he has to declare 48 hours after the new CBA is signed. Heck NHL owners are going to have a bad time holding their teams together. As one owner mentioned many owners are being hit in their primary business never mind their play thing, AHL/NHL The word I keep hearing is the NHL resumes in January 2021. Think of the arenas that are club owned. Man this is a compounding problem which ever way you look at it. Maybe they should Furlough Bettman  for starters :lol:

Just an FYI in case you missed it, the January start is old news now.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29431331/nhl-targeting-dec-1-start-2020-21-season