The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Why bother picking him in the first place?.. with the above^details, that couldn't have been top-secret

4th round pick. Hit and miss. Benning can get atleast that after the playoffs.. pbbly more. Im sure he's still got a good relationship with mgmt in Boston. 

Who knew he'd end up this good.. or he would have gone in the 1st round.

Edited by WHL rocks

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

4th round pick. Hit and miss. Benning can get atleast that after the playoffs.. pbbly more. Im sure he's still got a good relationship with mgmt in Boston. 

Yeah, heard some reputable(Cameron?) guy twittified that this dude's not gonna be ours. It's horses**t! We need more decent leftys - just hate this NCAA cop-out rule.

Look at the programs our great franchise is doing for causes like autism. for example. Kid should dance with the one who brung him!

Almost like 4, 5 decades back when the privileged kids wanted to get outa' Nam-duty, eh? Handy college route.

Anywho..if we knew about his family matters, we should've known where his team-loyalties lay.

29 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He grew up a Bruins fan and is close to his family.

But I'm sure the fact Canucks took a chance on him and the fact Bruins didn't, will be having an influence as well.

If he has the kind of character, Canucks says, they are are looking for in players before drafting them, he would not dump the club that took a chance on them. 

If Benning thought he'd not sign here, he wouldn't have picked him in the first place, regardless of which round he'd go.

The rule anyway is a total joke... 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

@Nuxfanabroad @spook007

Agreed.. the rule is a joke and should have been dealt in this new CBA. 

But honestly I dont blame the kid...

I'M from Vancouver. Family home is approx half hour from Canucks rink..

If I had a little brother with special needs who needed me in his life I wouldn't even think twice. 100% id go ufa and sign with home town team. Live at home with my little brother who is autistic and play for my fav team..

BTW if he has to play for Bruins AHL team the Providence Bruins for a year or two it's only a 45 min drive from his house 

TD Garden NHL  30mins drive

Providence AHL  45 mins drive

Vancouver other end of North America in a different country.

What would you do.. if I'm his adviser and knowing his family situation I tell him sign with Bruins. 

Edited by WHL rocks

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

@Nuxfanabroad @spook007

Agreed.. the rule is a joke and should have been dealt in this new CBA. 

But honestly I dont blame the kid...

I'M from Vancouver. Family home is approx half hour from Canucks rink..

If I had a little brother with special needs who needed me in his life I wouldn't even think twice. 100% id go ufa and sign with home town team. Live at home with my little brother who is autistic and play for my fav team..

BTW if he has to play for Bruins AHL team the Providence Bruins for a year or two it's only a 45 min drive from his house 

TD Garden NHL  30mins drive

Providence AHL  45 mins drive

Vancouver other end of North America in a different country.

What would you do.. if I'm his adviser and knowing his family situation I tell him sign with Bruins. 

So what..if he was a laggard-bum he'd desperately SIGN with whoever drafted him, wouldn't he?!

No, hear what you're saying - but I'm not buying this. Broongoon reps have prob been whispering in his ear. This stinks(if he skedaddles), & the rule simply sucks camel dung.

edit: & in this tech world(skype etc...), all should be factored. I'm sure the team would bend over backwards, helping him w/ his fam needs

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 2

It’s funny how people in here salivated over other teams players that went this route (if it even happens).  But now that it may apply to the Canucks it’s a stupid rule.  I didn’t see anyone calling for the rule to be abolished when Calgary couldn’t get Fox to sign. Lol. 

He could very well sign in the next 3 days.  If not, people can fret about it until next summer when he can walk 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I thought Rathbone was close friends with Demko or MacEwen? If your good bud is already on the team why leave? Unless it is for the above family reason, which I understand

He’s good friends with Demko. 

Also has known Aiden McDonough since they were young kids.

Although I doubt those friendships factor much in his decision. No guarantee Demko will even be here after the expansion draft. And who knows if McDonough will sign.

And you don’t really decide where you start your pro career on whether or not you have buddies in the system.

I imagine there’s some pull from the Boston area and the potential to play at home and stay close to his brother.

However, Rathbone has also expressed a lot of loyalty to the team that drafted him.

So who knows.

Personally, I think the main factor in his decision this week is whether or not he believes there will be any hockey to be played this season at Harvard. Fall sports have been cancelled, but there’s still a chance hockey starts up again sometime after January 1st. I think Rathbone still really wants to try to cap off his college career with a run at a championship (while playing a key, leadership role), especially after the last season being cancelled.

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

It’s funny how people in here salivated over other teams players that went this route (if it even happens).  But now that it may apply to the Canucks it’s a stupid rule.  I didn’t see anyone calling for the rule to be abolished when Calgary couldn’t get Fox to sign. Lol. 

He could very well sign in the next 3 days.  If not, people can fret about it until next summer when he can walk 

For the hypocrisy-implication, that don't apply to all fans.

Personally feel prospects should honour the team that drafted them..across the board.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I thought Rathbone was close friends with Demko or MacEwen? If your good bud is already on the team why leave? Unless it is for the above family reason, which I understand

There is a strong cadre of Americans on the Canucks. Maybe they can influence his decision. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s been an hour. Has he signed yet? ;) 

I see Mtl has just signed Romanov, great prospect. Mtl has  Cap space  ... Vcr not so much, nice if they has space for Tryamkin and hopefully Rathbone

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I see Mtl has just signed Romanov, great prospect. Mtl has  Cap space  ... Vcr not so much, nice if they has space for Tryamkin and hopefully Rathbone

Romanov unable to play tho I believe, but is able to burn 1 year of the ELC maybe still?

I hope we sign the Big Russian and Rathbone, but if Tryamkin hasn't already flown to Vancouver then no rush on his deal as I think he couldn't play anyways. Sign both D then move on from Fantenberg and look to move Benn for a conditional pick in the off season

• Cheers 2