The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

34 minutes ago, ItalianCanuck1 said:

Great news. 

I just read a tweet that states he instantly become our 3rd best prospect. 

Thoughts? 

Skill wise he’s probably there.

Im not as down on Juolevi as most people so I would have him ahead.

Juolevi has performed at multiple pro levels, while Rathbone has only performed at the college level. Let’s see what he can do at the AHL level then the NHL before we put too much hype on him.

Great news. I am not sold that Juolevi is going to end up top 4 material so to have another guy with that potential is pretty important imo. Also interested to see what Rafferty can do at the NHL level...

Anyway, welcome, Jack!

On 7/12/2020 at 9:20 PM, qwijibo said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he opts to do another year at Harvard and goes UFA next summer. 

On 7/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, WHL rocks said:

Makes too much sense for him to wait a year go ufa and sign with Bruins..

On 7/12/2020 at 11:37 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah, heard some reputable(Cameron?) guy twittified that this dude's not gonna be ours. It's horses**t! We need more decent leftys - just hate this NCAA cop-out rule.

Well no more having to worry about Rathbone not signing....like most of our prospects always do.

Who is next? Tryamkin (obviously not a prospect)?

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Great news. I am not sold that Juolevi is going to end up top 4 material so to have another guy with that potential is pretty important imo. Also interested to see what Rafferty can do at the NHL level...

Anyway, welcome, Jack!

Having four nhl ready, or close to ready d prospects with high ceilings in tryamkin,  rathbone,  rafferty,  and joulevi is awesome.  I still think joulevi is the best of the bunch,  but it will be fun to watch them develop over the next year or 2.  

what we lack in elite prospects,  we certainly make up for in depth.  Add in hoglander,  Lind,  podkolzin,  and dipietro,  and you have 8 likely nhl players coming in.

once we sort though the cap issues next year,  the future is going to be very bright.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

Well no more having to worry about Rathbone not signing....like most of our prospects always do.

Who is next? Tryamkin (obviously not a prospect)?

Yeah, music to my ears. Happy to be dead-wrong heeding the tweets of that Cam Robinson character(heck, shouldn't have noted anything from HF Canuck page! my bad)

• Haha 1

We’re becoming one of the best teams in the league when it comes to drafting and developing college players.

Boeser, Demko, Gaudette, Rathbone, Rafferty, Lockwood, Madden (formerly), McDonough

All very solid picks especially considering their draft number.

Between that and our Swedish drafting we’ve stockpiled some awesome depth.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 4

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Skill wise he’s probably there.

Im not as down on Juolevi as most people so I would have him ahead.

Juolevi has performed at multiple pro levels, while Rathbone has only performed at the college level. Let’s see what he can do at the AHL level then the NHL before we put too much hype on him.

Cut and pasted from the Quinn Hughes "prospects" thread?

• Cheers 1

On 6/16/2020 at 8:47 PM, crunch55 said:

Here we go again with the " he will sign elsewhere " propoganda.First it was Boeser ..then Gaudette ..then Will Lockwood...you clowns are 0 for 3 so far and about to go 0 for 4.

Just thought this was worth a repost.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Umm am I the only one who just realized Rathbone was coached by John Tortorellas brother at Harvard?

I wonder how much “stiffness” Rathbone has...

Actually has a bit in his game. He's no Scott Stevens etc but he's got some bite.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Does Rathbone have any injury history? I know one of our college prospects has a shoulder issue but I think it might be Lockwood I'm thinking of

He had a knee injury a while back. If memory serves, he rushed back a little too quick, and then had to take some games off later to fully heal. I don’t recall it being all that serious though, and hasn’t really affected him since. This was back during his Prep School days.

At Harvard, he played every game his first season. Second season, he missed a total of three games. I’m drawing a bit of a blank as to why he was out. I seem to remember him taking a hard hit and getting a little banged up. Maybe tweaked his shoulder or had some bruising, I can’t recall. Nothing too bad. Missed a few games.

Generally speaking, he’s been quite durable. Of course, he’s young, so he’s made of rubber, lol. But he’s also a gym rat and build like a brick ****house, so I’m sure that helps him withstand a lot of punishment.

EDIT: not that Rathbone takes a lot of punishment. He might not be shifty like Hughes, but he still has very good escapability, moves the puck quickly, and can skate circles around most guys on the ice, so he doesn’t get caught too often. He does mix it up and play physical, though. Can lay some sold hits, when he’s in the mood, and he uses his body well when defending and doesn’t shy away from engaging physically. But generally, he avoids being on the receiving end of heavy hits, and seems to bounce back up whenever he does get caught (except maybe one time that I can recall).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 3