The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

11 hours ago, TGT68 said:

So who wants to give up a second rounder for Rafferty now?  He seems expendable all of a sudden.  

Umm Rafferty RHD, Rathbone LHD, neither seem expendable. If anything Juolevi just became expendable

Edited by CR7
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He had a knee injury a while back. If memory serves, he rushed back a little too quick, and then had to take some games off later to fully heal. I don’t recall it being all that serious though, and hasn’t really affected him since. This was back during his Prep School days.

At Harvard, he played every game his first season. Second season, he missed a total of three games. I’m drawing a bit of a blank as to why he was out. I seem to remember him taking a hard hit and getting a little banged up. Maybe tweaked his shoulder or had some bruising, I can’t recall. Nothing too bad. Missed a few games.

Generally speaking, he’s been quite durable. Of course, he’s young, so he’s made of rubber, lol. But he’s also a gym rat and build like a brick ****house, so I’m sure that helps him withstand a lot of punishment.

EDIT: not that Rathbone takes a lot of punishment. He might not be shifty like Hughes, but he still has very good escapability, moves the puck quickly, and can skate circles around most guys on the ice, so he doesn’t get caught too often. He does mix it up and play physical, though. Can lay some sold hits, when he’s in the mood, and he uses his body well when defending and doesn’t shy away from engaging physically. But generally, he avoids being on the receiving end of heavy hits, and seems to bounce back up whenever he does get caught (except maybe one time that I can recall).

The name that pops into my mind when you're describing him is Keith Ballard. The pre-Canuck version (in which is what I hope we are getting). Similar build, willing to step up and be physical, good offensive instincts with a decent shot. Ballard needed to improve his defensive game which Rathbone hopes to do as well, so hopefully we get the complete version.

6 minutes ago, CR7 said:

Umm Rafferty RHD, Rathbone LHD, neither seem expendable. If anything Juolevi just became expendable

Edler isn't getting any younger. Not saying that Juolevi would replace him directly, but we will need to fill that gap eventually. Juolevi has been groomed to take on PK duties though and has decent offensive instincts.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, CR7 said:

OJ still can be the better player of the three if he is healthy. 

• Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Amazing how quickly Rafferty jumped up in the depth chart in peoples minds.

When in reality he still has quite a few holes in his game according to people who watched the comets regularly.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, GarthButcher5 said:

This...!

The thing is that everyone  is disappointed that Oli wasn't able to make the team this year as a 21 year old with injury issue's...

Yet no one expects a 21 year old Rathbone to make the team....

It's all on the expectations people have...If Oli is healthy and able to move his hips better I think he could replace either of our 7-8 D. men next year and be much better by the end of the year (than Benn or Fanty)

Rathbone the year after and  then we have;

Juolevi / Hughes

Rathbone / Meyers

Tryamkin / Stetcher

Woo  /  Rafferty

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Yet no one expects a 21 year old Rathbone to make the team....

I don’t necessarily expect him to make the team, but I do expect him to compete for a spot during next season’s camp. He definitely had a shot at playing for the Canucks next season.

A lot will depend on which players we have already under contract. But if Rathbone looks ready, it would make sense (especially because of the cap issues) to use him as a cost controlled roster option, while he’s still very cheap on his ELC.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I don’t necessarily expect him to make the team, but I do expect him to compete for a spot during next season’s camp. He definitely had a shot at playing for the Canucks next season.

A lot will depend on which players we have already under contract. But if Rathbone looks ready, it would make sense (especially because of the cap issues) to use him as a cost controlled roster option, while he’s still very cheap on his ELC.

I meant your average CDC'r....there is at least 2 of us that think he has a shot...I put him down for the year after next just because I think Juolevi will make it this coming year.

Ny preference would be...if the kids can play...let them play and trade someone instead of letting them walk like we will likely be doing with Tanev in order to sign Marky and Toffoli.... damn cap clawback and covidiosy....

10 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Meh. You're okay.

@73 Percent

I am in bliss .. jack signed? 

Honest never thought would ....

Man... wonderful day ....

You know what 73...

Sometimes we get over worked.... I do as well. 

We are all Canucsks

For all you guys love and espect... 

Man this board keeps me  senile..

1972 been loving this team..  .. just one dream. A Cup...

.I was so stressed . 

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1