The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

36 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

People joke, but I appreciate the honesty here. If I’m reading this right. Sounds like he seriously considered staying in school til free agency. Thank you RJ and Higgy.

Definitely credit to the Canucks in their handling of their college prospects. RJ and Higgins have done a tremendous job building relationships with these players, as have others in the front office and staff. Vancouver has also been very good at not pushing too hard and remaining patient. They definitely make the players feel wanted, but they also are very supportive of decisions to play extra years in college, and take things at the pace the player wants. The Canucks seem to have found a sweet spot that works very well, as demonstrated by the team’s success rate signing college players, even ones with some “flight risk” attached. 

And yes, I think under different circumstances and with a different club holding his rights, Rathbone may very well have chosen to stay close to family. He’s a very loyal kid. The trick was, I suppose, finding a way to divide his loyalties, and convince him that his best career decision was to choose this team over the chance to play at home in Boston, and that is no small thing (particularly given how much Jack cares for his little brother Teddy).

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

I wouldn't be surprised for J.B. to receive a call from Boston inquiring about the price for Rathbone. 

If they or (e.g. Detroit/ Jersey/ LA) asked about him, hope Benning tries the following

3rd + Stecher's rights + Rathbone + Loui for either Nemeth or Filppula ($3 million, 1 season left)

Stecher can play top-6, plus a D-man who would've provided more value than Andersson from Boston, attached to 3rd and Loui, for a vet (could put Nemeth on the left and Hughes on his right, since Patrik played top-4 this season) or Filppula (can probably re-flip him as needed; might be easier to get too since they need back end help)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

So.... Did Rathbone go UFA and sign with the Bruins yet?

B)

Please. OMG 

Just woke up read this.. almost had a  seizure 

I completely thought he's staying home in Boston....

Captain material this kid.

I need to start having more positive thinking....

Edited by WHL rocks

7 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I think particularly because of cap issues due to Covid.19 this kid has a very good chance to stick with team next season...

What wonderful news.. I was certain he's staying home in Boston.. 

So glad I was wrong.  Stoked... 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

11 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, everyone calm in here now??? lol

Man you don't even know....

This kid and Quinn.. I think O.J. going to come along very nicely....

Stacked....

EDIT

.too many messages by me in this thread.... 3 in a row.. but I'm not excited....:metal:

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

If they or (e.g. Detroit/ Jersey/ LA) asked about him, hope Benning tries the following

3rd + Stecher's rights + Rathbone + Loui for either Nemeth or Filppula ($3 million, 1 season left)

Stecher can play top-6, plus a D-man who would've provided more value than Andersson from Boston, attached to 3rd and Loui, for a vet (could put Nemeth on the left and Hughes on his right, since Patrik played top-4 this season) or Filppula (can probably re-flip him as needed; might be easier to get too since they need back end help)

Are you nuts Phill...

Rayhbone is equivalent of a top 5 pick....this kid is special... watch .....

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Are you nuts Phill...

Rayhbone is equivalent of a top 5 pick....this kid is special... watch .....

Curious then as to how you'd expect to field an adequate team that's not bogged down by bad contracts? 

Either we trim peripheral roster players who have proven they belong and replace them with ELC guys (which doesn't always work out in terms of results), or use prospects (even Demko/ Tryamkin have been suggested on these boards) to ship off contracts in their entirety to retain established guys.  Rathbone was a 4th round pick; while he has developed and is talented, many others in the league are also, and it's not like we can use guys like Sautner/ Brisebois (as good as they potentially could become) to achieve the same result.

Historically, contenders have made such moves to open up cap space for key guys:
Panthers moving Crouse + Bolland's $5.5 million yielded a 2nd and 3rd
Blackhawks moving Teravainen + Bickell's $4 million cap were dumped for a 2nd
Leafs moving Marleau's $6.25 million cap, 1st and 7th yielded a 6th round pick

and I think a move like this actually makes sense in our time-frame (if we really want to optimize the roster and not lose other roster players e.g. Tanev/ Toffoli/ Markstrom).  

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

Welcome to Vancouver Jack. 

Great news to wake up to. 
Character and Loyalty... those traits are high on the list, when Canucks draft.

Can’t help but winder, how much it helps young players in their decision making (on top of loyalty towards the drafting organisation), that the team is floaded with young talent.... Come to Canucks. The team of opportunities... 

Absolutely brilliant. Maybe a few here could tip their hats towards the organisation for making 5 out of 5... 

Brilliant job JB and Co. 

• Cheers 1

Rathbone is going to be a stud.  So excited he is signed.  He WILL make the team next year, there is no doubt.  Tanev, Fatenberg and Stecher will all be gone.  We will have room for Rathbone, Tryamkin and another defenceman, hopefully a stud top 4 Dman who can play with Quinn.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Rathbone is going to be a stud.  So excited he is signed.  He WILL make the team next year, there is no doubt.  Tanev, Fatenberg and Stecher will all be gone.  We will have room for Rathbone, Tryamkin and another defenceman, hopefully a stud top 4 Dman who can play with Quinn.

Tanev you mean?

He isn't going anywhere.

22 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Amazing how quickly Rafferty jumped up in the depth chart in peoples minds.

When in reality he still has quite a few holes in his game according to people who watched the comets regularly.

Craig Button says Rafferty is ready to play now .  But what does he know?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Curious then as to how you'd expect to field an adequate team that's not bogged down by bad contracts? 

Either we trim peripheral roster players who have proven they belong and replace them with ELC guys (which doesn't always work out in terms of results), or use prospects (even Demko/ Tryamkin have been suggested on these boards) to ship off contracts in their entirety to retain established guys.  Rathbone was a 4th round pick; while he has developed and is talented, many others in the league are also, and it's not like we can use guys like Sautner/ Brisebois (as good as they potentially could become) to achieve the same result.

Historically, contenders have made such moves to open up cap space for key guys:

and I think a move like this actually makes sense in our time-frame (if we really want to optimize the roster and not lose other roster players e.g. Tanev/ Toffoli/ Markstrom).  

Trading Rathbone would make the organizing look awful.

As he said FA was an option but he wanted Vancouver. Now van entices him to sign and it was just deceiving him if he's traded.

Louis is going to be a very hard contract to move. But in the mean time you don't give away the players that cost little to get into the lineup. Those players are the ones that will help ease the pain of the bad contracts

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Its simple if you want to get rid of Erickson's contract you put him in the minors Saving of a million on the cap , but I think he would retire before ridding the bus.

Chances are that the AHL will not play this year. No ticket sales, no games. But I've wondered why they haven't already done this

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Craig Button says Rafferty is ready to play now .  But what does he know?

Not as much as Green who will be making that call.

Button also hypes every world junior player as a star.

Time will tell. I trust the people who actually watch him play every other day.

Edited by DeNiro

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Man

You guys have no idea how negative I was..  my bad....

Thought he wasn't going to sign with us...

So glad I was wrong....

Most of the time players have loyalty to teams who put faith and picked them, even if they are college players. It's especially more meaningful if they're later picks and were passed on by teams. You could grow up cheering for said teams that passes on you a few times than have another team use a pick, be very happy that they have gotten you and see you as an integral part of their future.

Gaud, Hughes and Boes never bolted. Hell Gaud even admitted to cheering for Boston in 2011.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

3 mill Lui signing bonus Phil...then 1 mill pay... 

Are you watching F1?. Verstasppen 1st Hamilton 2nd...love F1 racing....watching... 2 Ferraris my fav.. controling it....

Ferraris decide what to do...