The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Should be quarantine'd for a couple weeks right? Since he was in the US before coming here. I dunno the rules tbh. Lol.

That makes sense:huh:... by the time he's out of quarantine, the team will be headed to Edmonton... And from what I understand, he won't be part of the group going there.  Not sure what the point will be him being here now if that's the case.  Hopefully they clear this up so us rabid fans are in the know lol!

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Maybe Rathbone is already in Edmonton? 

If I was Jack, I’d probably have done the isolating and testing in Boston, and then caught a flight to Edmonton to do the 4 day hotel room quarantine at the hub city (rather than a 2 week standard quarantine). He could then be cleared and ready to join the team when the boys arrive at the Hub.

That way he can practice and hang out with the players and staff for as long as the Canucks are in the play-in/playoffs.

Getting that time with the team would be really valuable, even though he can’t play any of the games. Rathbone could build relationships with players and staff, prove himself and showcase his skills during practices/scrimmages, and set himself up really well for when he returns for next season’s camp (whenever that is).

Have to imagine that it would give him a leg up to make some new friends on the team. When he comes back next season, he’d just be “Jack” (or more likely “Bones” or “Boner,” knowing hockey players—or maybe “Basil” from the more creative guys), instead of “that kid” or “the new guy.” Much easier to prove he belongs if the guys are already familiar with him, have shared an experience through the Hub/return-to-play, and kind of already treat him like part of the team.

NHL players are the worst at nicknames lol. Maybe he's an Oasis fan, then we can call him bonehead? But this is the NHL, so bones or Rathy?

1 hour ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

NHL players are the worst at nicknames lol. Maybe he's an Oasis fan, then we can call him bonehead? But this is the NHL, so bones or Rathy?

I actually wouldn’t mind Ratty. Kinda funny, especially because Jack isn’t much of a rat type.

He’d probably hate it, which would make it more likely to stick (kinda like how Huggy caught on because all the guys knew Hughes really didn’t like the nickname at first).

EDIT: Thank goodness those early announcers in Rathbone’s Prep/college career eventually got his name right. One guy used to always say “Ratbun” and if guys in the NHL heard that, it would be over. Jack would be Ratbun for the rest of his pro days.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

He has skated on his own and will not go to Edmonton.  He will stay in Vancouver with the others that will be staying as well.  Jim said this after he was signed.  B)

Edited by dpn1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/24/2020 at 6:27 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

As part of signing, perhaps Van allowed him to stay close to home(help his bro through a tough period), as long as he trains hard preparing for Fall camp?

given the state of the US, I highly doubt there's a 2020-21 season.  We should probably enjoy what we get in the next couple of months

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

given the state of the US, I highly doubt there's a 2020-21 season.  We should probably enjoy what we get in the next couple of months

Come December/ the new year I think theres a good chance. Ill be really surprised if they try to do a full season though.

The second wave should be coming to an end and there a high chance a cure is found by then

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Come December/ the new year I think theres a good chance. Ill be really surprised if they try to do a full season though.

The second wave should be coming to an end and there a high chance a cure is found by then

quote me any credible medical source that backs that up.  There is zero chance that the Canadian government is going to let athletes cross the border on a regular basis.  The US hasn't even got their first wave under control yet, let alone a second.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

quote me any credible medical source that backs that up.  There is zero chance that the Canadian government is going to let athletes cross the border on a regular basis.  The US hasn't even got their first wave under control yet, let alone a second.

They're second wave just started in the US if you talk to them. 

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/when-will-covid-end-the-update-on-the-race-for-a-vaccine/

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-06-28-trial-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-starts-brazil

https://www.barrons.com/articles/moderna-coronavirus-vaccine-will-be-ready-for-distribution-in-2021-51592483405

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-granted-fda-fast-track-designation-two

"the companies are expecting to start a Phase 2b/3 trial as soon as later this month and are anticipating enrolling up to 30,000 subjects. If the ongoing studies are successful, and the vaccine candidate receives regulatory approval, the companies currently expect to manufacture up to 100 million doses by the end of 2020 and potentially more than 1.2 billion doses by the end of 2021"

Once a vaccine reaches the final stage you can guarantee major sports clubs will be some of the first to get vaccines going so as to start the "normal" way of life we live. Big business will be the first to get their hands on vaccines because money rules.

• Cheers 1

On 7/26/2020 at 8:32 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

he reminds me of Quinn Hughes actually, of course he's not him, but similar style and role.  

I can't say I have seen much of Rathbone's play but from the clips I have seen, he seems to have the puck less than Hughes.  Controlling play with the puck in Rathbone's possession is part of his game, but having watched Hughes this season, it seems like it's a much bigger part of Hughes' game.  Happy to be wrong about this though.  It really cannot hurt for the Canucks to have two legitimate D who can either skate or pass the puck up effectively.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:55 AM, EternalCanuckFan said:

I can't say I have seen much of Rathbone's play but from the clips I have seen, he seems to have the puck less than Hughes.  Controlling play with the puck in Rathbone's possession is part of his game, but having watched Hughes this season, it seems like it's a much bigger part of Hughes' game.  Happy to be wrong about this though.  It really cannot hurt for the Canucks to have two legitimate D who can either skate or pass the puck up effectively.

Rathbone is a great skater, maybe not on the same level as Hughes but hes quite good. Rathbone has a good first pass too. 

Additionally, he proved that he doesn't need an elite defender to help him out (He was Adam Fox's partner for a while) to produce. I think he will be a force in the AHL next year should he not make it.

3 hours ago, warrchief said:

Rathbone is a great skater, maybe not on the same level as Hughes but hes quite good. Rathbone has a good first pass too. 

Additionally, he proved that he doesn't need an elite defender to help him out (He was Adam Fox's partner for a while) to produce. I think he will be a force in the AHL next year should he not make it.

Yeah we got a good one. I love Benning's Krug comparable. 

On 7/26/2020 at 10:12 AM, stawns said:

I think it is possible if you have bubble a few more bubble arenas. The schedule would have to be tweaked though. Probably do 30 days on, a week or 2 off so players can spend time with their families, then do testing, rinse and repeat. I don;t think there will be a full 82 game season, but 50 - 60 plus is def doable.

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I think it is possible if you have bubble a few more bubble arenas. The schedule would have to be tweaked though. Probably do 30 days on, a week or 2 off so players can spend time with their families, then do testing, rinse and repeat. I don;t think there will be a full 82 game season, but 50 - 60 plus is def doable.

Rumour is owners don't want to play with no fans and hub cities don't really benefit them financially.  I'm all for it, however

14 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Hold on! I thought it was just Brackett that he had a good relationship with...

No, that's not his job to follow already drafted players. Brackett just drafts them and then hands them over to Higgins and Johnson to help and liaise

Rags to riches...

Our whole team is going to be overflowing with talent in a year or so ...it is already more than half way there and with Juolevi, MacEwen, Podz, Hogs, Rathbone and maybe Lind...

We just have to dump some veteran salary...somehow...Ferland on LTIL will help ...maybe Erikkson will light it up a bit this post season and be sort of tradable with salary retention or a sweetener...

• Upvote 1