The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Rags to riches...

Our whole team is going to be overflowing with talent in a year or so ...it is already more than half way there and with Juolevi, MacEwen, Podz, Hogs, Rathbone and maybe Lind...

We just have to dump some veteran salary...somehow...Ferland on LTIL will help ...maybe Erikkson will light it up a bit this post season and be sort of tradable with salary retention or a sweetener...

Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette, Virtanen, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, MacEwen, Motte, Juolevi, Hughes, Rathbone, Woo, DiPietro, Mcdonough, Focht.  That's 75% of the team.  Then you add Markstrom and Miller who will be around for awhile and our team is pretty much complete.  If we can get Tryamkin on board and add a young top 4 right handed Dman then our team will be complete for the next decade.

We can use Demko in a trade to hopefully get that top 4 Dman...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Gaudette, Virtanen, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, MacEwen, Motte, Juolevi, Hughes, Rathbone, Woo, DiPietro, Mcdonough, Focht.  That's 75% of the team.  Then you add Markstrom and Miller who will be around for awhile and our team is pretty much complete.  If we can get Tryamkin on board and add a young top 4 right handed Dman then our team will be complete for the next decade.

We can use Demko in a trade to hopefully get that top 4 Dman...

The expansion draft could handcuff a lot of teams and leave some good guys available for a trade. Dumba, Brodin, Fabbro, Gostisbehere, Faulk, Skjie, Fleury and Bean are just a few off the top of my head that I can think of. Minnesota or Carolina could be a good trade partner for a dman.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, NHL'er said:

If whatever reason it comes down to it, could Rathbone play in the playoffs for us?

I don't believe so.

A transition rule in the collective bargaining agreement extension that re-started the season allowed the Canucks to sign Rathbone on Tuesday during the short window to get it done following ratification.

Rathbone is not eligible to play for the Canucks when they travel to Edmonton later this month for the playoffs, but the rest of this season counts as a year on his contract.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

The expansion draft could handcuff a lot of teams and leave some good guys available for a trade. Dumba, Brodin, Fabbro, Gostisbehere, Faulk, Skjie, Fleury and Bean are just a few off the top of my head that I can think of. Minnesota or Carolina could be a good trade partner for a dman.

There are a few teams that will have a squeeze on their defencemen:

Colorado - Johnson has a NMC, plus there’s Makar & Girard. So what happens to Ryan Graves?

Philly - Provorov, Sanheim & Myers - probably expose Gostisbehere

Nashville - Josi, Ellis, Fabbro - probably have to expose Ekholm (1 year left to UFA)

Tampa - Hedman, Sergachev, McDonagh...so what happens to Cernak?

That also doesn’t account for unexpected breakout players who make an impact next year, who will be eligible for the draft (like Ryan Graves this year).

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Colorado - Johnson has a NMC, plus there’s Makar & Girard. So what happens to Ryan Graves?

Nashville - Josi, Ellis, Fabbro - probably have to expose Ekholm (1 year left to UFA)

That also doesn’t account for unexpected breakout players who make an impact next year, who will be eligible for the draft (like Ryan Graves this year).

Without looking, have to imagine the Canes are another prime case. Could see a deal with them occurring.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Those are all "win now" teams so I suspect they will give up draft picks and/or prospects to retain their key pieces. GM's will try not to make the mistakes they made with the Vegas draft but in some cases history is going to repeat itself.

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Without looking, have to imagine the Canes are another prime case. Could see a deal with them occurring.

Absolutely. Even if they don’t re-sign some free agents, they’ll have Slavin, Pesce, Skjei, Bean, Gardiner, Fleury...

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

This is precisely why I think a Virtanen package for a D is quite do-able.

Need to find a team short on middle 6 F's bound to lose a good D.

4 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Those are all "win now" teams so I suspect they will give up draft picks and/or prospects to retain their key pieces. GM's will try not to make the mistakes they made with the Vegas draft but in some cases history is going to repeat itself.

That is if the GM of Seattle wants to take as many sweetheart deals. I would definitely steal some players.

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

Absolutely. Even if they don’t re-sign some free agents, they’ll have Slavin, Pesce, Skjei, Bean, Gardiner, Fleury...

Fleury, the defenceman, is not really worth much, haha. He's a serviceable warm body, but that's about it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Philly exposes Gostisbehere easily, his production has dropped way off. Not really a concern for them.

Ekholm likely pulls an Edler.

TB exposes McDonagh as he will be 32 and will have 5 more years at 6.75 million (just had a season of 12 points in 50 games). If they take him, that's massive cap relief for them or they might just overlook him.

The Avs have more of a conundrum and they make a side deal. They could see if Johnson is willing to waive his NMC for expansion purposes and see if Seattle goes for a then 33 year old dman with 2 more years at 6 million per. That would only solve one issue though as they would also be potentially exposing Zadorov as well who I'd be more inclined to take anyway. They could protect 4 dmen, but will have to leave someone like Compher exposed. They could make a small move to try and protect more players or just let them take a Compher and hope to have Bowers/Kaut step up into a bigger role (the route I would take).

Raises an interesting question. ...... could a team with some D protection space do a deal such as:

"Give us player X, plus a 2nd round pick, in exchange for a 2nd round pick from us, and we will protect him and guarantee to trade him back after the expansion draft in exchange for our second pick back"

Or Player X plus a prospect if they want to keep their pick  - same deal, we give something of value and get it back after the draft.

54 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Raises an interesting question. ...... could a team with some D protection space do a deal such as:

"Give us player X, plus a 2nd round pick, in exchange for a 2nd round pick from us, and we will protect him and guarantee to trade him back after the expansion draft in exchange for our second pick back"

Or Player X plus a prospect if they want to keep their pick  - same deal, we give something of value and get it back after the draft.

Never happen in real life. Never has and won't.

On 8/9/2020 at 1:10 PM, theo5789 said:

Philly exposes Gostisbehere easily, his production has dropped way off. Not really a concern for them.

Ekholm likely pulls an Edler.

TB exposes McDonagh as he will be 32 and will have 5 more years at 6.75 million (just had a season of 12 points in 50 games). If they take him, that's massive cap relief for them or they might just overlook him.

The Avs have more of a conundrum and they make a side deal. They could see if Johnson is willing to waive his NMC for expansion purposes and see if Seattle goes for a then 33 year old dman with 2 more years at 6 million per. That would only solve one issue though as they would also be potentially exposing Zadorov as well who I'd be more inclined to take anyway. They could protect 4 dmen, but will have to leave someone like Compher exposed. They could make a small move to try and protect more players or just let them take a Compher and hope to have Bowers/Kaut step up into a bigger role (the route I would take).

I'd be tripping over myself to try and get Eckholm out of Nashville, if he's available.  Zadorov would be a great get for a team that's in the win-now mode as well.  Let him loose against the other team's physical lines, and see who's left standing.  

On 8/9/2020 at 12:54 PM, aGENT said:

I was thinking Demko will be the cost to dump Eriksson. But either way...6 of one, half dozen of the other.

I hear Guerin in Minny is not happy with his goaltending :ph34r:. Demko & Eriksson + pick for D

Edited by CR7
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'd be tripping over myself to try and get Eckholm out of Nashville, if he's available.  Zadorov would be a great get for a team that's in the win-now mode as well.  Let him loose against the other team's physical lines, and see who's left standing.  

Pretty sure majority of the league would want Ekholm. If he leaves as UFA, we aren't getting him, too pricey. Otherwise he pulls an Edler and stays a UFA prior to expansion and re-signs in Nashville.

I agree Zadorov would be a good add to most teams, so I wonder how much value the Avs would put in protecting him.