The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kristoffer Gunnarsson | D

Adarsh Sant

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, Hutton Wink said:

If those are 45s, that's a pretty strong boy right there.  Like Cederholm, is he also not averse to fisticuffs when necessary, and if so any good at it?

Yep, those are 45s. So that makes it a 225lb x15 set. Not very far from pro linebacker status, and the kid isn't 21 yet. Now...can he play? If so, and he apparently isn't adverse to playing a "heavy" game, he's could be one of those D-men that keeps little bitty forwards hyper aware of where he is, and maybe just a little distracted.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Yep, those are 45s. So that makes it a 225lb x15 set. Not very far from pro linebacker status, and the kid isn't 21 yet.

Yeah, he just turned 20 this year. And he's lifting around 110% of his body weight. NHL Combine bench press is 70-80% body weight (and 15 reps at that weight would be a top-5 result). And while Gunnarsson is a 1997, the Combine had a few 1998s (including the guy who placed 1st this year).

Apparently Gunnarsson is just a fitness freak. According to one HFBoards poster, he already owns some of Frölunda's all-time strength and conditioning records (most of which he apparently broke while still a teenager).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Yep, those are 45s. So that makes it a 225lb x15 set. Not very far from pro linebacker status, and the kid isn't 21 yet. Now...can he play? If so, and he apparently isn't adverse to playing a "heavy" game, he's could be one of those D-men that keeps little bitty forwards hyper aware of where he is, and maybe just a little distracted.

I wonder because there are clearly more than 2 plates per side, but they look thinner than regular 45s.  Seen Subban's videos and he uses big plates but they aren't full 45s like most gyms use.  And hard to believe he's only 205lbs, when he's clearly bigger in the pic than Gadjovich who's listed at 209.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I wonder because there are clearly more than 2 plates per side, but they look thinner than regular 45s.  Seen Subban's videos and he uses big plates but they aren't full 45s like most gyms use.  And hard to believe he's only 205lbs, when he's clearly bigger in the pic than Gadjovich who's listed at 209.

Looks like 3 plates per side to me.  If they are 45's, that's 315.  If they're Ikea plates, and 35, that's 255.  Either way, the kid is a horse.

3 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Looks like 3 plates per side to me.  If they are 45's, that's 315.  If they're Ikea plates, and 35, that's 255.  Either way, the kid is a horse.

Yeah, now that I've watched it again I can see there's three per side. Missed that before, mostly because I watched it on my little phone screen. Whatever the actual plates are, you can tell from his teammates' reactions and comments that he's pressing some significant weight.

On 6/25/2017 at 5:30 PM, DeNiro said:

Kronwall without the offense?

I'll take that.

Exactly what I was thinking too.  Maybe a more mobile Ulf Samuelson. Either way. I'd take a guy that can play physical without putting himself out of position any day of the week!

Was really impressed with how effectively Gunnarsson uses his body. Really keeps players out of the dangerous spots and makes it hard to come down the boards on him. Crushing body checks are great, but one thing I really admired watching the playoffs this year was the Ducks use of physicality to separate players from pucks. Here's hoping Gunnarsson can provide some of that effective physicality for us in the future!

On 7/2/2017 at 7:49 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Think you are referring to bumper plates.

They are extra wide plates all different weights. Used mostly for olympic lifts and in crossfit workouts.

From https://bumperplates.com/bumper-plates-faq/:

"Bumper plates are necessary when doing "Olympic-style" training movements such as snatches, clean and jerks or variations of these lifts. Using bumper plates as opposed to conventional steel plates reduces stress to the barbell, the floor and lifting platform as well as reduces the likelihood of personal injury by being able to just drop the barbell from the overhead position instead of trying to catch the load of the descending barbell."

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Honey-Badger-Hansen said:

Was really impressed with how effectively Gunnarsson uses his body. Really keeps players out of the dangerous spots and makes it hard to come down the boards on him. Crushing body checks are great, but one thing I really admired watching the playoffs this year was the Ducks use of physicality to separate players from pucks. Here's hoping Gunnarsson can provide some of that effective physicality for us in the future!

I'm hoping for an Ohlund style, but a few tiers lower.  I'd be thrilled with that.  If Cedarholm can step up his development over here?  Oh boy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ryan Biech (Canucks Army) with some observations on Gunnarsson's play in Champions League action earlier today:

He had a couple good rushes throughout his game today. He doesn’t just toss the puck away, which is encouraging. Gunnarsson also directed quite a few shots towards the net with 5 shots directed towards the goal with 2 being blocked, 2 going wide and 1 hitting the net.

It’s even more impressive since he only had 6:18 of ice time. Frolunda won in overtime 5-4 over ZSC (Swiss).

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/08/24/champions-hockey-league-canucks-prospects-on-day-1/