The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

39 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

maybe he does what Jasek did this year next year!?!

Would like to see them find a way to sign Brassard and keep McKenzie in the fold now.  

Watch Jasek be a late pre season send down.  Could be an early call-up too.

11 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Watch Jasek be a late pre season send down.  Could be an early call-up too.

Yeah.  I honestly think Jasek needs a year in the AHL with Lind next year with both of them getting a call up to give them a taste a little bigger then Demko got this year.  Replace those names with Gadjovich and Palmu the year after.  

3 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

A bold statement from Sami Salo on Palmu:

A year later, Palmu and Brassard are looking like two pretty good late round picks so far.

So, this is a little off topic, but I feel it needs to be asked. Salo's history in Vancouver, featured an uncanny ability at finding ways new ways to injure himself, providing us with guaranteed yearly LTIR space.

In his new capacity as a coach, has he missed any games due to injury? Just wondering if he's outgrown it yet.... :)

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Haha 3

On 4/9/2018 at 12:40 PM, stawns said:

don't see why they wouldn't bring him and OJ over

Palmu still under contract in Finland and Canucks are probably happy for him to continue development there.   OJ under consideration still for Finnish WC team.   Bringing him over for what would amount to potentially just two games isn't that valuable.

• Upvote 1

A year later, Palmu and Brassard are looking like two pretty good late round picks so far.

Recall that his junior GM told NHL GMs two years straight "don't let him out of the draft." 

The Hansen trade continues to look better and better; we could end up with 3 NHL players out of it.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

...Gaudette?

Gaudette was 2015 with Jasek

I can definitely see Palmu being a decent bottom 6 NHL player.  He has the speed and tenacity to be a solid forechecker and he truly is a little skating fire hydrant out there. With his low center of gravity he more often then not comes out of puck battles along the boards with the puck which is exactly what you want out of a bottom 6 winger. 

56 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Gaudette was 2015 with Jasek

Yup, my bad...thought you were just talking about late round picks in general.   I am not sure Canucks have ever had this sort of potential from 4th round and later picks ever before.  I did a scan back to 1970 first year and cannot see anything remotely close - the odd good one here/there but nothing sustained like this.   To get one NHL-calibre player out of that range in the draft every fifth year or so is pretty average - Canucks look now like they could have more than one per year over past few years.   That is crazy.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Pavel Bure in 89 was a pretty choice 6th rounder.

More to do with poor record keeping. Bure was slotted to be a pick in 1990.

Igor Larionov let the Canucks know that Bure had played a bunch of unrecorded games. Those unrecorded games made him eligible for '89. At least a couple of teams protested the pick and for a while it seemed that we might have the pick taken away from us. He was rated #1 for 1990 !

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

More to do with poor record keeping. Bure was slotted to be a pick in 1990.

Igor Larionov let the Canucks know that Bure had played a bunch of unrecorded games. Those unrecorded games made him eligible for '89. At least a couple of teams protested the pick and for a while it seemed that we might have the pick taken away from us. He was rated #1 for 1990 !

I didn't know it was Larionov that helped that along.

i was thinking the other day how much I like it every time he speaks on Goldy's behalf...perhaps if/when Goldobin finally becomes legit he'll owe much of that to Larionov.

then I started wondering who Tryamkins agent is...and maybe he's like to switch

13 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

Pavel Bure in 89 was a pretty choice 6th rounder.

I didn't count that because I read on that one that it was disputed that he wasn't thought to be draft eligible and would have gone first round if any other team had thought he was available.   Not sure on entire story but that was just of what it said.

Edited by Rob_Zepp
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I didn't realize how good his shot was. There were multiple clips where the puck exploded off his stick straight up beat the goalie. 

The shot from the half boards at about 1 min in was a great example of that shot... Not easy to score from there unscreened with a wrister.

1 hour ago, Guile said:

The shot from the half boards at about 1 min in was a great example of that shot... Not easy to score from there unscreened with a wrister.

He reminds me of a miniature Martin St Louis. :lol:

Joking aside all these short levers seem to give him a quick powerful short. He also looks fast even against much bigger opponents. I like that he sees openings for team mates too.

On 2018-04-26 at 1:25 AM, Horvat is a Boss said:

I didn't realize how good his shot was. There were multiple clips where the puck exploded off his stick straight up beat the goalie. 

Good shot, good vision, great lateral movement, hard to get off the puck.  I know we'd love if every guy had everything but what more do you need to be an NHL player?  Kid's gonna put up points.  Olli doesn't look bad on a lot of these plays too where he's creating space, shifting lanes and making options for the other TPS players.

Edited by SamJamIam
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

He reminds me of a miniature Martin St Louis. :lol:

Joking aside all these short levers seem to give him a quick powerful short. He also looks fast even against much bigger opponents. I like that he sees openings for team mates too.

I was wondering how many short jokes you were going to make. Surprised you didn't end that he sees the openings for teammates between opponents legs :P

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I was wondering how many short jokes you were going to make. Surprised you didn't end that he sees the openings for teammates between opponents legs :P

I was serious about the MSL, I added the "miniature" as a jokey way to avoid people saying MSL was bigger. Well spotted though.:P