The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

2 hours ago, KKnight said:

Smart player. I'm not reading in to the slow start in Utica. He's extremely shifty, high offensive iq, built like a brick $&!#house for such a small guy. Could stand to work on strength, learning how to win board battles the Petey way, his shot. I really think we have a steal in Palmu, at least a top 6 lw. He would probably compliment Bo extremely well. 

Really?

I'll get back to you.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Petrus Palmu on Sportsnet 650:

"There was not a lot of communication between myself and the organization. I was not sure why I was not getting ice time and it was tough. But, I tried to stay positive and get better every day, unfortunately, I got to a point where I wasn't progressing."

"I didn't get a reason as to why I didn't get ice time in Utica. no one really talked to me. I tried to do my job when I played, I didn't get very big minutes which was tough for me."

"I wanted to stay there but I can't sit in the stands and play small minutes. That's the biggest reason why I am in Finland."

"I am getting better and I needed to be selfish and start playing again. Sitting in the stands in Utica does not do anyone any good. My goal is to be there [Vancouver] soon and this year is big for my development."

"I usually got the ice time and played a lot. It was still a good experience for me to experience something like that. Now I know what it's like, the hockey business and everything. I tried to be positive and get better every day in Utica."

"I am going to have a good year here and then have a good summer and I will show that coaching staff there that I can play there. My main plan is to play in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2018 at 9:26 AM, mll said:

On 12/14/2018 at 8:02 AM, UticaHockey said:

Ryan Johnson confirms what I have watched. Palmu struggled with the physical part of the game against bigger and faster players than what he was used to playing against.  Saying that the AHL coaching staff sucks isn't going to change that fact.

23 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"There was not a lot of communication between myself and the organization. I was not sure why I was not getting ice time and it was tough. But, I tried to stay positive and get better every day, unfortunately, I got to a point where I wasn't progressing."

"I didn't get a reason as to why I didn't get ice time in Utica. no one really talked to me. I tried to do my job when I played, I didn't get very big minutes which was tough for me."

"I wanted to stay there but I can't sit in the stands and play small minutes. That's the biggest reason why I am in Finland."

"I am getting better and I needed to be selfish and start playing again. Sitting in the stands in Utica does not do anyone any good. My goal is to be there [Vancouver] soon and this year is big for my development."

"I usually got the ice time and played a lot. It was still a good experience for me to experience something like that. Now I know what it's like, the hockey business and everything. I tried to be positive and get better every day in Utica."

"I am going to have a good year here and then have a good summer and I will show that coaching staff there that I can play there. My main plan is to play in the NHL.

There seems to be a HUGE disconnect between what Utica management is saying publicly and what Petrus said in this last interview.   Not trying to cause controversy here but the two sides are saying completely different things.   Johnson says they had good conversations while Petrus is saying he doesn't understand why he never played.....?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PlanB said:

There seems to be a HUGE disconnect between what Utica management is saying publicly and what Petrus said in this last interview.   Not trying to cause controversy here but the two sides are saying completely different things.   Johnson says they had good conversations while Petrus is saying he doesn't understand why he never played.....?

Johnson’s a dud

• Haha 1

I can only say from my career prospect that the co-workers who complain about lack of communication from their boss are the ones with low EQ. They either don't understand their employer's message when they were communicated or fail to understand that they too have the onus to initiate communication. Almost all employers ask the rudimentary questions "are you doing OK?" " is there something we can do for you?" For some reason, the ones with the beef NEVER raised any issues until they gave their notice and told everyone how there was a lack of communication from higher up. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Not a feel good story. I believe ( for no great reason ) PP's story. Johnson comes across as having 'political/ business' driven answers. This is not good !!!

Not so sure that Johnson is the one that has the disconnect with the player. Usually it is the coach that has the responsibility to make sure that he is communicating to the player what areas in his game need work and how he can best go about achieving that. I profess to know next to nothing about Coach Cull but Travis was and still is a great communicator with the players he coaches and that is extremely important in their development.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Not so sure that Johnson is the one that has the disconnect with the player. Usually it is the coach that has the responsibility to make sure that he is communicating to the player what areas in his game need work and how he can best go about achieving that. I profess to know next to nothing about Coach Cull but Travis was and still is a great communicator with the players he coaches and that is extremely important in their development.

Agreed. It might be several people ( Cull, Johnson, Esche ). Makes me worry about the 'bad old days' in Chicago. I'm generally overly optimistic in my views on anything involving the Canucks, but I really don't feel good about this story.

2 hours ago, PlanB said:

Good Point.  What these two sides are publicly stating doesn't jive, at all.  We're obviously only getting 'snippets' from tweets/partial interview quotes, but still, they're not aligned in their content. 

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Agreed that part of coaching is to communicate well - but in the end, coaches don't send players to other leagues, management does that. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

I can only say from my career prospect that the co-workers who complain about lack of communication from their boss are the ones with low EQ. They either don't understand their employer's message when they were communicated or fail to understand that they too have the onus to initiate communication. Almost all employers ask the rudimentary questions "are you doing OK?" " is there something we can do for you?" For some reason, the ones with the beef NEVER raised any issues until they gave their notice and told everyone how there was a lack of communication from higher up. 

I am retired now and was in the workforce for 47 years. During that time I worked for one company under 5 different GM's and 7 different foremen. Some of the GM's were very hands on and approachable while others had no time or patience to listen to an employees issues. That was pretty much the same when it came to Foremen, some were easy to have a discussion with about a concern one may have on a particular issue while others just basically just told you to do your job or be fired. The GM's and Foremen that were approachable and had dialogue with the person under their charge had the respect of the crew. Those that came across as heavy handed and holier than thou were very disliked by the crew and none of them lasted very long.

The gist of this is that it takes two to have a dialogue and in the case of coaches it is on them to initiate and have an honest communication with all of the players as to what they see as both positives and negatives to the players game and offer some suggestions as to how to go about improving on the negatives

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Pretty disturbing comment from Palmu. Obviously there was a conversation when he was allowed back to Finland. What was the interaction during practice? DO this do that and you will be more successful therefore play more??? Is he suggesting it was so 'old school' that the expectation was that you keep your mouth shut and wait your opportunity? It does not sound like the approach that enlightened orgs would use. More to the story I suspect. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am retired now and was in the workforce for 47 years. During that time I worked for one company under 5 different GM's and 7 different foremen. Some of the GM's were very hands on and approachable while others had no time or patience to listen to an employees issues. That was pretty much the same when it came to Foremen, some were easy to have a discussion with about a concern one may have on a particular issue while others just basically just told you to do your job or be fired. The GM's and Foremen that were approachable and had dialogue with the person under their charge had the respect of the crew. Those that came across as heavy handed and holier than thou were very disliked by the crew and none of them lasted very long.

The gist of this is that it takes two to have a dialogue and in the case of coaches it is on them to initiate and have an honest communication with all of the players as to what they see as both positives and negatives to the players game and offer some suggestions as to how to go about improving on the negatives

Well you would hope, if the club are sending a player to another league, they would have had quite a few chats, other than the ultimate "it's just not working out for you (despite the number of sessions we've had?) so it is maybe better if we place you back in Finland"

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Not sure why peeps are blaming Johnson for the 'lack of communication.  Clearly Palmu did this interview from Finland and is talking about his experience when he was on the team.  This sounds like an issue (if there actually is an issue) with coaching, rather than GM.

The statement Johnson makes from Nashville says that he talked to Palmu and explained to him what areas of his game required improvement.  This statement is dated Dec.13.

Comets GM Johnson: “Petrus is a good player and has a good skill set. It’s other details of his game — the wall play, the compete and physicality — that we feel still need to come along a bit. And playing sparingly is not the right process in his development.”  

No surprises here. It seems to me Johnson was pretty clear with Palmu on what he needs to do before returning to the AHL. 

"Many players underestimate the difficulty level of the AHL".  R. Johnson

Which translates to many player are reassigned to lesser leagues to continue their development.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RetroCanuck said:

Palmu's interview is of concern when it comes to looking at our other prospects who are still there and yet not playing.

Its a developmental league and there is no reason to play more AHL career players over young prospects. Dahlen, Lind, Gadj and Jasek should all be playing minimum 10min each over the end of the season.

Pissing off your young prospects and not communicating why they are sitting seems like a very good way to fail the most important part of these players careers....development.

Which of our team has been a big problem over the years.  We seem to have some really good prospects, but then we lose them along the way.  Why is that?  Here's one answer from one of the lost ones.  

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Not sure why peeps are blaming Johnson for the 'lack of communication.  Clearly Palmu did this interview from Finland and is talking about his experience when he was on the team.  This sounds like an issue (if there actually is an issue) with coaching, rather than GM.

The statement Johnson makes from Nashville says that he talked to Palmu and explained to him what areas of his game required improvement.  This statement is dated Dec.13.

Comets GM Johnson: “Petrus is a good player and has a good skill set. It’s other details of his game — the wall play, the compete and physicality — that we feel still need to come along a bit. And playing sparingly is not the right process in his development.”  

No surprises here. It seems to me Johnson was pretty clear with Palmu on what he needs to do before returning to the AHL. 

"Many players underestimate the difficulty level of the AHL".  R. Johnson

Which translates to many player are reassigned to lesser leagues to continue their development.

Sounds like Palmu didn't get that teaching/coaching while playing in Utica though.  Maybe we are missing something in the coaching/teaching of our young prospects?