The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like Palmu didn't get that teaching/coaching while playing in Utica though.  Maybe we are missing something in the coaching/teaching of our young prospects?  

Green seemed like a good coach to teach younger players, he got the likes of Goldobin, Virtanen to be NHLers. We need someone like him in Utica. 

Also as far as I remember, we tried to get another coach who eventually got hired by another team, thus leaving us with the 2nd choice in cull.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like Palmu didn't get that teaching/coaching while playing in Utica though.  Maybe we are missing something in the coaching/teaching of our young prospects?  

My issue is going off what Johnson said and Palmu has said, that one can't improve those aspects of the game in practice. " the wall play, the compete and physicality " comes from playing decent minutes in the game and then looking at how you improve in those areas.

The current group down there is to concerned with making playoffs and not about development. Which is really going to hurt our future players.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's hard to say.  His ice time is close to the lowest on the team, which indicates that he wasn't ready to be playing at that level.  Just because he wasn't playing many games, I would think that he was still benefiting from the practices and certainly had +++ time in the weight room. 

The AHL is a developmental league, but the teams also have a responsibility towards their paying fans and owners.  Developing a winning environment is important for the players, owners and fans.  It looks to me that perhaps they should have moved Petrus earlier on.

Palmu is a long shot to ever play in the NHL (6th round picks usually are).  He has an uphill battle for sure.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

Green seemed like a good coach to teach younger players, he got the likes of Goldobin, Virtanen to be NHLers. We need someone like him in Utica. 

Also as far as I remember, we tried to get another coach who eventually got hired by another team, thus leaving us with the 2nd choice in cull. 

There was more than one coach ahead of him in the selection process. If memory serves me right he was the 4th or 5th in line.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It's hard to say.  His ice time is close to the lowest on the team, which indicates that he wasn't ready to be playing at that level.  Just because he wasn't playing many games, I would think that he was still benefiting from the practices and certainly had +++ time in the weight room. 

The AHL is a developmental league, but the teams also have a responsibility towards their paying fans and owners.  Developing a winning environment is important for the players, owners and fans.  It looks to me that perhaps they should have moved Petrus earlier on.

Palmu is a long shot to ever play in the NHL (6th round picks usually are).  He has an uphill battle for sure.

The thing with Palmu is that he’s very much like virtanen. Where physically he has the strength to play in the NHL. Just needs the experience and ice time to develop the on ice skills.

PP has one hockey life. He has to do what's best for him and I'd think few poster if in his position would think sitting in the press box actually helps his progress. What I don't get is in this day and age players expect the courtesy of being kept up todate with the teams expectations. This old school thinking and guess what we've moved on. It's no longer acceptable for management to treat todays player like they were treated in the 70's.  Is their days so full that they can't address prospects for 15 mins occasionally. This what having a farm team and developing program is IMO

1 hour ago, The Great 8 said:

The thing with Palmu is that he’s very much like virtanen. Where physically he has the strength to play in the NHL. Just needs the experience and ice time to develop the on ice skills.

According to Johnson, Petrus needs to improve in  the wall play, the compete and physicality before he returns to the AHL.  He will get +++ ice time playing in Finland, so hopefully he can improve in those areas.  It would be great if he can return to the Comets for next season.  For a winger, 5'6" will make his road to the NHL very tough indeed.

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

According to Johnson, Petrus needs to improve in  the wall play, the compete and physicality before he returns to the AHL.  He will get +++ ice time playing in Finland, so hopefully he can improve in those areas.  It would be great if he can return to the Comets for next season.  For a winger, 5'6" will make his road to the NHL very tough indeed.

It's one thing to tell that to the media but PP it has to be a case of this is your deficiencies ….. and this how you solve it  And this is what we expect you to work on. But for PP tell us he never heard from them there's a credibility gap. It's  not as though PP is the first to state this

21 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I find it curious that Johnson feels PP needs to improve his 'wall-play and overall physicality' yet he believes the Liiga is the place to do this over the AHL?  I'm sure the overall hockey in the Liiga is quite good - but if you want a player to work on these specific aspects of his game, would you not keep him in the league where these aspects most closely resemble the NHL style of play and make sure he actually plays? 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

It's one thing to tell that to the media but PP it has to be a case of this is your deficiencies ….. and this how you solve it  And this is what we expect you to work on. But for PP tell us he never heard from them there's a credibility gap. It's  not as though PP is the first to state this

His statement was a part of a conversation he had with PP before the player left for Finland.  PP stated that he never heard feedback while he was playing in Utica.  Not Johnson's job.  Maybe coaching staff's job, but they haven't commented on PP's statement, so I can't get an accurate read on it. 

Edited by higgyfan
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

His statement was a part of a conversation he had with PP before the player left for Finland.  PP stated that he never heard feedback while he was playing in Utica.  Not Johnson's job.  Maybe coaching staff's job, but they haven't commented on PP's statement, so I can't get an accurate read on it. 

Johnson's title is  :- Ryan Johnson, General Manager, Utica Comets & Sr. Director, Player Development, Why wouldn't it be his job ? In the chain of commmand he's out ranks the coach.

9 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Johnson's title is  :- Ryan Johnson, General Manager, Utica Comets & Sr. Director, Player Development, Why wouldn't it be his job ? In the chain of commmand he's out ranks the coach.

In a corporate structure, the director level usually builds the team and establishes the vision, he's not doing the actual player development.

Edited by westcoastsniper
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, westcoastsniper said:

In a corporate structure, the director level usually builds the team and establishes the vision, he's not doing the actual player development.

Sorry I don't buy that if you're the Captain of the ship you best know what's going on and frankly manage not only PP but the dam coach too. That's where the buck stops. If things go drastically wrong you get canned, you can't blame some one else

Thank you crazy_4_nazzy for providing this rational info on our prospects development and the AHL roster rules.

Our top prospects seem to be adjusting well which is good to know.

Hopefully Palmu can figure out the parts of his game management wants him to work on while back in Finland so he can be an effective and consistent player at the pro level.

Edited by The Beagle had landed
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

Thank you crazy_4_nazzy for providing this rational info on our prospects development and the AHL roster rules.

Our top prospects seem to be adjusting well which is good to know.

Hopefully Palmu can figure out the parts of his game management wants him to work on while back in Finland so he can be an effective and consistent player at the pro level.

Ditto. It had to take a lot of  time and effort to put a post together like that. Well done.

• Upvote 1

nice post @CRAZY_4_NAZZY 

I'm actually happy Palmu is getting the time he is in Finland. There should be a little bit more room for him to make an impact next year (I can't see that entire group being back) in Utica and he should come back with more refined skills. I can see why in all of that development rotation you explained that a kid might feel like there wasn't enough time for him or felt lost in that, but that seems to be what a lot of kids in the AHL need to overcome. 

• Upvote 1

The fact is the Canuck roster is full of players that were developed in Utica ( sarcasm ) which offers an insight into how successful the current strategy is working. Every summer JB looks to the FA market for players to fill the holes, not Utica. The farm team seems to develop players for the AHL.

• Upvote 1