The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Why do so many people take Palmu's comments as the gospel without questioning if they are 100% accurate?  Palmu was interviewed by Vancouver media member and basically threw his GM and coach under the bus for not communicating to him why he didn't play as much in Utica as he thought he should.  Both Ryan Johnson and Trent Cull have since been interviewed and basically said that the expectations and feedback to the players are consistently communicated.  If you go to page 100 of the Utica Comets thread you will fine a series of Tweets from Craig MacEwen (Zack's dad) I posted that supports the Comets coaching staff and their use of video review as part of communication process to each player.  MacEwen states that onus is ALWAYS on the player and he finds it hard to believe that Palmu was left hanging.  

Is it not possible that Palmu's ego got a little bruised by his experience in Utica and wanted to deflect the blame back on his coaches?  I'm not willing to take his word blindly over Cull or Johnson because Petrus Palmu has his own credibility issues that need to be taken into consideration.  Go back to page 15 in this thread and read about the legal issues that this kid got into in Finland because of illegally catching protected species of fish in restricted areas.  Not once but he did this multiple times after being previously warned about it.  In the grand schemes of things do I really care about his illegal fishing activities when he was a 20 year old kid?  No....but it does make me question the word of a now 21 year old kid over the adult coaches and GM that he threw under the bus to the Vancouver media.

At the end of the day he did not play well enough when he did have his chances to stay in the line up.  I have no idea what was said to him or what he was asked to work on.  But I don't automatically believe what he claims was said or lack there of.  And a word of advice to him....throwing adults who are there to coach and guide you under the bus when you are a 21 year old kid that has proven nothing is not a good career move.

This about development of the players.

A player who is saying there’s communication problems with Staff should be deeply looked into.

Comets GM and Coaching staff are trying to save they’re own asses. I believe JB has some investigating to do.

develop the player is number 1. 

Staff heads should roll if there is a lack of communication issues going on.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

This about development of the players.

I player who is saying there’s communication problems with Staff should be deeply looked into.

Comets GM and Coaching staff are trying to save they’re own asses. I believe JB has some investigating to do.

develop the player is number 1. 

Staff heads should roll if there is a lack of communication issues going on.

Or more likely Petrus is a self centered, overly confident twerp. Unable to accept his own responsibility for his lack of success he lashed out on his way back home.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Or more likely Petrus is a self centered, overly confident twerp. Unable to accept his own responsibility for his lack of success he lashed out on his way back home.

But he’s a Canuck prospect, it doesn’t matter ,just develop the kid.

so your saying the staff is unable to deal with immaturity. So the staff also needs to grow up and develop the kid.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Like 1

But he’s a Canuck prospect, it doesn’t matter ,just develop the kid.

If the kid won't listen and at least try to do what is asked of him, you move on to a player that will listen and attempt to do as asked.

This is not high school.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

If the kid won't listen and at least try to do what is asked of him, you move on to a player that will listen and attempt to do as asked.

This is not high school.

He played in Owen Sound for 3 seasons. Probably not too hard to find out how coachable he was.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

If that’s the thought process there then fire the staff.

develop the prospects even the bratty kids. 

This should not be high school gym teachers.

hockey is a multi million dollar business, run by professionals that have been in the trade for years. If one kid, and that is what you are focusing on, does not get it that is on the player.

All the other players seem to get it, so if every body else is getting it, it would seem to me that the problem is the kid; not the coaches or organization.

Remember this is the self entitled illegal fisher of Europe. Hopefully he comes back after growing his game and his maturity.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

hockey is a multi million dollar business, run by professionals that have been in the trade for years. If one kid, and that is what you are focusing on, does not get it that is on the player.

All the other players seem to get it, so if every body else is getting it, it would seem to me that the problem is the kid; not the coaches or organization.

Remember this is the self entitled illegal fisher of Europe. Hopefully he comes back after growing his game and his maturity.

I totally disagree. It’s the coaching staff with lack of communication skills and laziness to teach young kids.

yes the Staff knows hockey but NOT people skills.

who f’n cares about your fishing crap story. It’s just stupid with zero points.

Edited by HockeyHarry

12 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I totally disagree. It’s the coaching staff with lack of communication skills and laziness to teach young kids.

yes the Staff knows hockey but NOT people skills.

who f’n cares about your fishing crap story. It’s just stupid with zero points.

The fishing story is an example of this kid's lack of respect for authority. It seems that lack of respect extended to his coaches.

And again, all the other players down in Utica seem to following the program set out by the team and coaches.

Edited by gurn

It doesn’t matter it’s a kid.

just be professional and develop him.

thats their only job.

Do everything possible to develop that kid.

it sounds like the Staff needs schooling in teaching and how to be professional about their job.

Sounds like this one kid needs to get and the coaches will keep coaching all the other players that do get it.

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Juolevi, McCann, Virtanen, Tryamkin were all dealt with horribly.  Gaunce the refrigerator can play an NHL game but can't actually get anything done, Gaudette much of the same so far and clearly they wan't him developing far away from Utica.   Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen all 2nd round picks having "meh" years, yes I know they are rookies but still showing little signs of progression thus far. Palmu already shipped back to Finland. Little Jordan Subban's AHL career took a serious nose dive after we tried to teach him how to play defense, as did Hunter Shinaruk's.  Stecher fast tracked, Baertschi mostly developed in Calgary just needed change of scenery. Finally Demko has risen to the top after years of solid progression but even still, we haven't seen him play yet and he is taking the goalie's long road.  

We don't develop young talent well it's been this way for years.  Boeser, Petterson and Horvat are special kinds of players, they don't need to be hand held.  We havent  developed well since the Edler, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen days

Utter garbage. 

I've had enough, you are exactly the type of fan I'm talking about.

6 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I think JB needs to investigate the Comet staff.

Do you assume that JB doesn't do continual reviews on both himself and everyone in the organization?

Every other player down there gets it, just the one guy with issues and you are continuing to blame the staff that has no problem with 24 plus players down there.

to me you are thinking strangely.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

yes I know they are rookies but still showing little signs of progression thus far

Perhaps, just perhaps, that is because they are rookies?

sorry alfstonker that was supposed to be a quote of 5th line, not you

Edited by gurn

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

So they either have what it takes or they don't?   Development is just some made up thing?  

The whole point of my post was that it takes time to draft and develop. Some make it, some fall through the cracks and some never had the talent to begin with. I'm not sure what you read.

37 minutes ago, gurn said:

Do you assume that JB doesn't do continual reviews on both himself and everyone in the organization?

Every other player down there gets it, just the one guy with issues and you are continuing to blame the staff that has no problem with 24 plus players down there.

to me you are thinking strangely.

First off this is a development program....to develop Canucks prospects. That means the Staff needs high teaching skills and communication skills along with hockey knowledge.

Yes I think JB has phone conversations with the Staff there, but talk is wind. JB needs to really get to the bottom of what’s really going on there.

how much one on one time does Staff daily spend on Canucks prospects. Is it just bs office talking or video reviews, and how much on ice one on one time is spent.

kids really need to know what’s truely going on in the coaches head about them, so the kid can focus on hockey learning instead of questioning what’s going on. Why this, why that...if there’s communication the kid will get it... maybe not like it but he’ll get it. And development will happen.

if a kids lazy and bad at defending then put that kid on the pk. That kid will quickly figure it out. This is not the NHL it’s a learning program.

Edited by HockeyHarry

22 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Enter Botchford, essentially calling Lind and Gadjovich busted prospects, "At the age where they have to show something by now"... at 20 years old, three months into their pro careers.   

Absolute garbage.

Bottom line: 

You do what the coach says, you work your butt off, you get results = you get ice-time.  "But you gotta play me coach, to show what I can do" -- EVERY player says that same thing, it's no excuse at all.

It is almost funny coming from Botchturd but then is just sad.

Botchturd is a middle aged man in a profession with not much competition and even then he sucks. His IQ is low, his vision with respect to hockey is non existent, he can't stick handle around any well thought out or professional types of questions, and he looks weak.

Ironic.  ::D