The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

This also happens all the time. Management telling you 'hey go to Europe where you will get more ice time' is the same thing as you telling management 'i wanna go to europe to see more ice time'. If anything, it just shows Palmu is a driven guy and driven people always go to the boss for optimizing their career choices than waiting around for bosses to tell them what to do, thats it. 

Sorry sunshine I just don't believe it. It's a shame when PP sees Finland as a better option for his future career than the AHL. The AHL is scouted far far more thoroughly than the  Liiga ( or what ever they call the league ) Keep this in mind every AHL team has a coach under contract to an NHL team and is relied upon for scouting reports ….. the Liiga … not so much. If you're going to hit pay dirt the AHL is the place to be. Let's get real

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

Sorry sunshine I just don't believe it.

Ok. That again, is a 'you' problem.

It's a shame when PP sees Finland as a better option for his future career than the AHL.

Nothing shameful about a fringe prospect from Europe thinking he will get more ice time in Europe than a logjam AHL team that has limited slots. 

The AHL is scouted far far more thoroughly than the  Liiga ( or what ever they call the league ) Keep this in mind every AHL team has a coach under contract to an NHL team and is relied upon for scouting reports ….. the Liiga … not so much. If you're going to hit pay dirt the AHL is the place to be. Let's get real

This isn't about hitting paydirt. This is about DEVELOPMENT. Palmu is 5'6 181st overall pick who put up ONE ASSIST in 12 games in Utica and had his ice time diminish due to his lack of production. He is better off seeing 15+ min in Liiga and developing his game there than 5 min a game in Utica- he isn't flashy enough or with enough offensive upsides yet to hit paydirt in the NHL from 5 minutes of playtime at Utica. Palmu is not stupid. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Sorry sunshine I just don't believe it. It's a shame when PP sees Finland as a better option for his future career than the AHL. The AHL is scouted far far more thoroughly than the  Liiga ( or what ever they call the league ) Keep this in mind every AHL team has a coach under contract to an NHL team and is relied upon for scouting reports ….. the Liiga … not so much. If you're going to hit pay dirt the AHL is the place to be. Let's get real

You don't have to believe it. It's your prerogative.

Just because he's going back to Finland doesn't mean he won't come back ever. Next season, he'll probably here as an invite and subsequently, we'll determine how much progress he made the past summer.

Why are you stressing out over a 19 year old 5th round pick?

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Borvat said:

Dahlen left the farm team initially (last year) to return to his Allsvenskan team because he wasn't ready for the AHL (mono/wasn't prepared and with the teams blessing). 

Palmu left because he wanted playing time he wasn't prepared to earn or put in the work for. (with the teams assistance and permission)

Juolevi also left/wasn't placed in the AHL to play in Finland under Salo's tutelage because of injury and he was deemed not ready for the AHL, also with the team's blessing and understanding.

I think there is a big misconception about who plays regular top six shifts at a young age in the AHL.  Yes it's a developmental league but it is made up of grown men (earning a living for their families or trying to get to or back to the NHL), not  just 19 and 20 year old kids.  Look at the average age of the players on the successful farm teams (Tampa / Toronto etc)  and they aren't made up of kids.  It takes time to get from the AHL to the NHL, unless you are a highly skilled sure fire bet who just needs some pro seasoning like a Nylander type or........ It's a tough league, purposely.

Put in the work.  Sometimes it takes a year or 2 or 3.  If you are lucky and work hard you may get rewarded.  It does these kids no service sending them in unprepared.

Juolevi played in the Finnish league because he was CHL eligible still last year. It was NHL, London or europe loan. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Well much to the chagrin of Vcr management shall we say he ( Palmu ) believes his chnaces were better some place other than Utica and he left. Dahlen apprently asked for a trade and now he's gone. You may want to split hairs but here's the fact they were here and now they're not, because they both fely better opportunities were to be had else where ….. fact 

So you liked it better when the Canucks had so few prospects that there was plenty of ice time available in Utica to keep them all happy?

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

7 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Juolevi played in the Finnish league because he was CHL eligible still last year. It was NHL, London or europe loan. 

Nice catch and 100% accurate. Juolevi was drafted out of the CHL so he was part of the NHL and CHL agreement and could not play in the AHL as a 19 year old.  It was either the NHL, back to juniors or play in Europe.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Borvat said:

Dahlen left the farm team initially (last year) to return to his Allsvenskan team because he wasn't ready for the AHL (mono/wasn't prepared and with the teams blessing). 

Palmu left because he wanted playing time he wasn't prepared to earn or put in the work for. (with the teams assistance and permission)

Juolevi also left/wasn't placed in the AHL to play in Finland under Salo's tutelage because of injury and he was deemed not ready for the AHL, also with the team's blessing and understanding.

I think there is a big misconception about who plays regular top six shifts at a young age in the AHL.  Yes it's a developmental league but it is made up of grown men (earning a living for their families or trying to get to or back to the NHL), not  just 19 and 20 year old kids.  Look at the average age of the players on the successful farm teams (Tampa / Toronto etc)  and they aren't made up of kids.  It takes time to get from the AHL to the NHL, unless you are a highly skilled sure fire bet who just needs some pro seasoning like a Nylander type or........ It's a tough league, purposely.

Put in the work.  Sometimes it takes a year or 2 or 3.  If you are lucky and work hard you may get rewarded.  It does these kids no service sending them in unprepared.

OJ went to Finland because he was too young to play in the AHL and going back to Jr woukd have been counter productive.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

So you liked it better when the Canucks had so few prospects that there was plenty of ice time available in Utica to keep them all happy?

Lind, Gad, Palmu, dalhen are all routinely scratched in favor of AHL journeyman in Utica.  I know they want to win but it is a development league after all.  I didn't think PP would ever make it to the NHL ftr. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Lind, Gad, Palmu, dalhen are all routinely scratched in favor of AHL journeyman in Utica.  I know they want to win but it is a development league after all.  I didn't think PP would ever make it to the NHL ftr. 

If they’re good enough they wouldn’t be scratched now would they 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, logic said:

If they’re good enough they wouldn’t be scratched now would they 

No, you don't understand, development league means Oiler-style play all children all the time. Prospects develop best when they don't have any distracting role models on the team and they get to lose every game to teach them humility.

• Haha 4

When all of Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, and Dahlen are struggling in the AHL after having really amazing seasons the year before, it looks bad on Trent Cull. Now is it technically possible that these four just happen to be not ready and it's more their fault and Cull is doing a decent job? Yeah I guess so. It's just that it should definitively be alarming that good prospects who took significant development strides the year before all look out of place in Cull's system. Honestly the worst thing that you can definitively pinpoint to Cull is having guys like Jasek randomly getting scratched many times despite having strong games the night before, it's just bewildering sometimes tbh. 

Edited by Theguy445
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

A hard-nosed AHL journeymen linemate demanding accountability for schoolboy errors, must be quite some wake-up call to Europeans expecting an easy path to the big show.  For regular coaches and players, the AHL is as big-time as they might ever see again, while earning them a living doing what they love.  No development league for them, I'm sure a Calder Cup is a decent enough reason for riding the bus through the grind of an AHL schedule.

But, imagine Cull icing an all-prospects roster every game until they're so beaten down by rival journeymen, that there's less than 500 or so Comet fans buying tickets, what then?  Blame the City of Utica, their culture, then their fanbase? No good food in Utica? Is that a joke?  Pettersson's making the NHL leap straight out of Euro leagues are extremely rare, and even the Alien has been a little fortunate to survive some harsh NHL physical reality to date.  For the rest, like Dahlen or Palmu the remaining rights of passage into the NHL is through the AHL.  And no journeymen's ever gonna give up his livelyhood, without scrapping to keep it.   

Utica's Comets are an enjoyable story, but if our prospects couldn't show enough compete that's hardly the Comet's coaching fault.  Just maybe, Jim should be paying more attention to drafting better character.  Canucks need a competitive Utica even if that only graduates 2 or 3 each year.  But, I've not see a lot wrong with the Comet guys brought up so far so, they've outshone most of our UFA's and trades, so I've also become a fan of Cull.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

No, you don't understand, development league means Oiler-style play all children all the time. Prospects develop best when they don't have any distracting role models on the team and they get to lose every game to teach them humility.

Funny

35 minutes ago, Theguy445 said:

When all of Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, and Dahlen are struggling in the AHL after having really amazing seasons the year before, it looks bad on Trent Cull.

Not at all.  Plenty of players struggle coming into pro hockey, it's far more of a jump than most realize.  What should look GOOD on Cull is that Lind, Gadjovich, and others have started to come on since the end of the year, which is a time when rookies do start to figure it out.  Those two in particular have been pointed out for their increased physical play and engagement.  Next year should be a good year for them to take the next step and establish them as not just solid AHLers but tracking as NHL prospects as well.  If they'd hit the ground running in Utica it's more likely they'd have come straight to the NHL, if not already been having call-ups like Gaudette.  Remember again that Horvat went pointless in his limited stint there.

• Like 2

Remember Trent Cull wasn't their top choice to coach Utica, sounds like he was the 3rd of 4th option.  I already stated for the record that I doubt PP would ever make it to the NHL but as a Canuck fan I rather see our prospects play and hopefully overcome their struggles than to have some 30yo with zero chance at the big leagues eat up their spots.  You cant have prospects in the press box no matter what the league is. 

17 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You don't have to believe it. It's your prerogative.

Just because he's going back to Finland doesn't mean he won't come back ever. Next season, he'll probably here as an invite and subsequently, we'll determine how much progress he made the past summer.

Why are you stressing out over a 19 year old 5th round pick?

I don’t even think he was 19 when we drafted him. 

• Cheers 1