The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

Damn he's a strong kid! :blink:

Had to smile at the intro to Botch's latest piece on Palmu:

Meet him in person and suddenly height means even less. Mostly because he looks like he could bench press Rogers Arena.

In a different era, Palmu may have been a strongman in a travelling 1930s circus, catching cannonballs with his gut while lifting plates of dumbbells with a pinky.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/long-story-short-canucks-lean-on-analytics-to-draft-pint-sized-palmu

Pretty good article overall.

As a bit of an aside, I found this part quite interesting, especially Linden's confirmation:

Has their little analytics heart grown three sizes right before our eyes? Is there now a bigger role in this organization for data?

”I think we’ve been incorporating that this past season as well as parts of the season before,” Linden said. “I think we’re relying on Jonathan Wall and Aiden Fox more to run data and see what pops out. 

I had a suspicion that the Canucks had made an adjustment to their approach when it comes to incorporating data into their scouting.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Had to smile at the intro to Botch's latest piece on Palmu:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/long-story-short-canucks-lean-on-analytics-to-draft-pint-sized-palmu

Pretty good article overall.

Not bad. Had a good chuckle from this line:

"For years, perception has been the Canucks use data like Alain Vigneault used Keith Ballard — as little as humanly possible."

• Upvote 3

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Liiga preseason underway and Palmu has impressed according to reports.

TPS apparently played 4 short format games today (3 games of 2x15min and a 4th of 2x20min). So 130 total minutes (team).

Palmu with 4 assists on the day plus a shootout goal.

And lots of positive reports on his play.

Here's a little video (including one of his assists): http://www.ruutu.fi/video/2514069

I wonder if the Liiga schedule allows him to play any games in Utica at the end of the Comets season next year? would be nice to see how he does there for a few games. 

21 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I wonder if the Liiga schedule allows him to play any games in Utica at the end of the Comets season next year? would be nice to see how he does there for a few games. 

Maybe for the playoffs? 

I think Liiga playoffs are usually wrapping up around the same time as the start of the AHL playoffs.

5 hours ago, S'all Good Man said:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Let him play his season, see how he fares against adults. 

22 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Let's see the members of CDC drop down and do even one body weight pistol squat, let alone a pistol with 225!

I'm still not holding my breath that he becomes an NHL'er but he's probably the one late round pick I'm rooting for the most. As you noted, there's really nothing not to like about him. Seeing the success he had with Gadjovich this year makes me hopeful they can continue that in the NHL. They're like hockey's version of Lenny and George.

Lol you're still giving CDC too much credit assuming they know who Lenny and George are...

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Let's see the members of CDC drop down and do even one body weight pistol squat, let alone a pistol with 225!

I'm still not holding my breath that he becomes an NHL'er but he's probably the one late round pick I'm rooting for the most. As you noted, there's really nothing not to like about him. Seeing the success he had with Gadjovich this year makes me hopeful they can continue that in the NHL. They're like hockey's version of Lenny and George.

Great, now I can't get the image of Gadjovich holding and petting a puppy out of my head.  Let's hope this story ends better :unsure: (Did Aquaman remarry?  If not, we need not worry)

42 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm not gonna drop the Lenny and George thing until we A) have a L+G of our own, and B ) CDC knows who they are.

Palmu and Gadj are too perfect.

Maybe Gudbranson and Stecher will be put on a pairing and strike a friendship?