The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

With respect HW that's not what I asked. There is a world of pain between 5'-10" and 5'-7" This guy would have to be exceptional to stick in the NHL at 5'-7" and he is not in a physical league at present. Actually he doesn't even look like he is 5'-7" to me.

Some of the players you refer to Conacher and Gourde for example are not even regular NHL players never mind 5'-7"

What "world of pain", especially considering his body mass?  Do you believe Brayden Point at 5'10 160 is better-off than Palmu at 5'7 180?  "Pain" doesn't come from lack of height; in fact being shorter with more weight has many advantages.  An inch or two is as inconsequential as 5 lbs.  There is no shortage of NHL players in that height range, most of which are the same weight and lower as Palmu.  What about guys even shorter, like Gerbe?  Gourde is not a regular player?  He's on pace to put up 63 points this year.  Palmu is at least the size of Desharnais, Zuccarello, Sheary -- are they "exceptional"?  He has 20+ lbs over JonJon and 10+ over Pettersson who is 7" taller -- are you suggesting height is actually more important than weight in hockey? 

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Let me be clear and refer to my original post, if he is indeed an NHL calibre player we can't afford to have too many others who are small on the roster imo.

And how many do we have right now?  Zero

How many do we have in the pipeline?  One

By your statement then, there's absolutely no problem having one.  Not sure why you are so up-in-arms about him when he stands alone.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

What "world of pain", especially considering his body mass?  Do you believe Brayden Point at 5'10 160 is better-off than Palmu at 5'7 180?  "Pain" doesn't come from lack of height; in fact being shorter with more weight has many advantages.  An inch or two is as inconsequential as 5 lbs.  There is no shortage of NHL players in that height range, most of which are the same weight and lower as Palmu.  What about guys even shorter, like Gerbe?  Gourde is not a regular player?  He's on pace to put up 63 points this year.  Palmu is at least the size of Desharnais, Zuccarello, Sheary -- are they "exceptional"?  He has 20+ lbs over JonJon and 10+ over Pettersson who is 7" taller -- are you suggesting height is actually more important than weight in hockey? 

And how many do we have right now?  Zero

How many do we have in the pipeline?  One

By your statement then, there's absolutely no problem having one.  Not sure why you are so up-in-arms about him when he stands alone.

I think it is a far more attractive proposition hitting a 5'-7" player than one 3" taller. ( I also think small stature leads will lead to higher cross checks and hits.)

We have Stech, Leipsic, and a few more under 6'-0" (it was you who brought up 5'-10" - I said 6'-0")

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

With respect HW that's not what I asked. There is a world of pain between 5'-10" and 5'-7" This guy would have to be exceptional to stick in the NHL at 5'-7" and he is not in a physical league at present. Actually he doesn't even look like he is 5'-7" to me.

Some of the players you refer to Conacher and Gourde for example are not even regular NHL players never mind 5'-7"

Let me be clear and refer to my original post, if he is indeed an NHL calibre player we can't afford to have too many others who are small on the roster imo.

Leaving aside the two I have mentioned Tampa only have one "small" player, Tyler Johnson who is 5'-8" but weighs in at 185lbs. They have some big defenders unlike the Canucks. Coburn 226, Dotchin 210, Hedman 223, MacDonagh 213, Sergachev 215, Sustr 225lbs Even Girardi is 206lbs and Koekkoek 200lbs - so you see they have a lot of size on the team o/a that we don't.

That is why Tryamkin could have been so good for us as his presence protected/or could have protected our smaller players. 

I hope he does make it, especially if he is the fiery type but there is no getting away from the fact this team is small and lacks physicality and push back.

Yanni Gourde has 58 points this year.  That's more than any single Canucks player has.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Leaving aside the two I have mentioned Tampa only have one "small" player, Tyler Johnson who is 5'-8" but weighs in at 185lbs. They have some big defenders unlike the Canucks. Coburn 226, Dotchin 210, Hedman 223, MacDonagh 213, Sergachev 215, Sustr 225lbs Even Girardi is 206lbs and Koekkoek 200lbs - so you see they have a lot of size on the team o/a that we don't.

That is why Tryamkin could have been so good for us as his presence protected/or could have protected our smaller players. 

I hope he does make it, especially if he is the fiery type but there is no getting away from the fact this team is small and lacks physicality and push back.

Gourde has been excellent this year with the Bolts, he's small but he plays big. Has gotten 58 points this year, I wish more Canucks players played like him

14 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I have to question how much he can stick up for himself. He is in Finland he is not facing the likes of (insert at least 50 aggressive NHL players here) every night. Look at Leipsic the other night and I hadn't even heard of the guy who tattooed him into the boards.

We are not like Tampa with 4 or 5 big Ds who can step in and protect him. Man we are going to have to get some size from somewhere if we have Pettersson, Leipsic, Stetcher, Dahlen AND Palmu on this team. Guddy and Archie are going to have their work cut out.

Like I've said in another conversation of our's, this is a team sport.and, ideally, there should be other guys eventually that can help him out. That being said, the fact that he's willing to stick up for himself says a lot about his character given his size. He's clearly not afraid of tougher guys.

I'm small myself (5 foot 4 to be nice ;)) and I can tell you, the more you want to push me the more I'm willing to push back in a sport. I remember a job interview for a payroll job where someone actually asked me how I felt if someone much larger than me had a complaint about their payroll. I literally had to explain that I've been short all my life. I've always had to look upwards at people. 6 feet? 7 feet? It all looks the same to me and doesn't really bother me one bit. lol (it was also perhaps one of the dumbest questions I've ever been asked in an interview but that's besides the point)

Palmu is clearly built like a truck for his size so I honestly wouldn't worry too much about that if I were you. ;) Imagine trying to go after a cannonball. If you're bigger how exactly do you go about doing that?....

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

Like I've said in another conversation of our's, this is a team sport.and, ideally, there should be other guys eventually that can help him out. That being said, the fact that he's willing to stick up for himself says a lot about his character given his size. He's clearly not afraid of tougher guys.

I'm small myself (5 foot 4 to be nice ;)) and I can tell you, the more you want to push me the more I'm willing to push back in a sport. I remember a job interview for a payroll job where someone actually asked me how I felt if someone much larger than me had a complaint about their payroll. I literally had to explain that I've been short all my life. I've always had to look upwards at people. 6 feet? 7 feet? It all looks the same to me and doesn't really bother me one bit. lol (it was also perhaps one of the dumbest questions I've ever been asked in an interview but that's besides the point)

Palmu is clearly built like a truck for his size so I honestly wouldn't worry too much about that if I were you. ;) Imagine trying to go after a cannonball. If you're bigger how exactly do you go about doing that?....

Just because you have the fight inside you, doesn’t mean you will be any kind of effective against a man that can easily physically dominate you. 

6’4 220. 

5’7 170.  

Im sorry but 9.8/10 that doesn’t look good for the little guy in the ice.  

I’m not saying the kid isn’t tough and doesn’t have the will, but that is a MAJOR disadvantage for the kid.  

Im rooting for the little guy, and he does seem to be a firecracker, but I’m not stoked about his odds. 

17 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

Yanni Gourde has 58 points this year.  That's more than any single Canucks player has.

I'm sorry, I thought my point was clear. He has spent nearly 6 years as a pro in the AHL. We are/were discussing size here, not ability which in Gourde's case has been a fairly long time coming and one season is hardly a cast iron pointer.

11 hours ago, The Lock said:

I hope you're right. 

I want him to do well obviously but I'm a realist and if you have too many small guys in the team the Bostons/LAs of this world will beat you down. It's not even as if we have a supporting cast of "pushback" type players, certainly not in the pipeline unless you say Gadjovich and maybe Lind.

Yes it's a team game but you can't keep filling a team with guys who can't "fight their own corner" and even when they do they are going to be outmatched by 3/4 of the league.

• Upvote 1

I get the argument about a smaller player, especially the short stature of Palmu. That being said, there are a few things that size, or lack of, brings. With his thickness, and LOW center of gravity, it will take a concerted effort to knock him off his feet. Also, and I know this from my best friend. Someone of that height and thickness, hitting you at speed, freakin' hurts! Playing football with him, or ball hockey, I had been hit by guys 6'1"-6'4" and well over 200 lbs; then my friend hits me (he was 5'7 3/4" and 200lbs). I'd rather take the hit from the larger guys; it's not concentrated solely from about mid-chest down (I'm 6'2"...almost). Also, chasing around guys like that can get REALLY tiring!

Do I think he will make the team? Not really sure, and most likely bottom 9 only, if. But I will be cheering him on!

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I've only half paid attention to the Palmy thread. Is he able to join the Comets after his season ends or does his two year contract in Finland make that not possible?

He would need to break his contract in Finland to play in Utica this year. Euro leagues often have NHL out clauses in their contracts (I'm not sure if Palmu does or not) but if he had one and uses it he wouldn't be under contract in Finland next year which I'm pretty sure goes against the current plan.

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

He would need to break his contract in Finland to play in Utica this year. Euro leagues often have NHL out clauses in their contracts (I'm not sure if Palmu does or not) but if he had one and uses it he wouldn't be under contract in Finland next year which I'm pretty sure goes against the current plan.

An HFBoards poster said that all Liiga contacts come with a standard NHL out clause. I can’t confirm, but they seemed fairly certain on that point. So I’d imagine it wouldn’t be much of an issue to get Palmu over here if we have a spot for him.

22 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Just because you have the fight inside you, doesn’t mean you will be any kind of effective against a man that can easily physically dominate you. 

6’4 220. 

5’7 170.  

I’m not saying the kid isn’t tough and doesn’t have the will, but that is a MAJOR disadvantage for the kid.  

Im rooting for the little guy, and he does seem to be a firecracker, but I’m not stoked about his odds. 

And yet you have players like Brad Marchand playing pest on the ice at only 10 pounds heavier than Palmu. Yet, he also doesn't get as injured as a lot of our players.

The thing is, there are so many players in this league who have proven that height isn't really as much of a disadvantage as some people seem. I get it though, there will always be the people who worry about height no matter what other factors may be in their favour.

On 2018-03-25 at 8:00 PM, drummerboy said:

6’4 220. 

5’7 170.  

According to Elite Prospects, Palau is 179 lbs.  - that makes a big difference when you are 5’7”.  He’s like a scaled down version of Horvat physically.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

And yet you have players like Brad Marchand playing pest on the ice at only 10 pounds heavier than Palmu. Yet, he also doesn't get as injured as a lot of our players.

The thing is, there are so many players in this league who have proven that height isn't really as much of a disadvantage as some people seem. I get it though, there will always be the people who worry about height no matter what other factors may be in their favour.

Those players are few and far between.  

Being 5’7 is a total disadvantage in the NHL.  I don’t know how you could even argue that.   

There are very small handful(pun intended) of people that small in the NHL.

I will say, the league seems to be getting smaller, but 5’7” will never be a normal thing.    

You don’t even see many men walking around the street that short. 

It’s the same deal as Subban.  

I like the kid, and I hope he beats the odds, but I won’t be the least bit surprised if he doesn’t.  

There aren’t a lot of Theo Fluerys’ out there, but it would be pretty awesome. 

11 minutes ago, TGT68 said:

You say all that and the Red Wings call up D Joe Hicketts.  All 5 foot 8 177 lbs of him.  

Honestly this kid is a good comparable for Palmu. You don't push around Hicketts either.  

I live in Vic and saw alot of him... Hicketts is a very determined guy and I think he will succeed in the NHL... Also an even smaller comparable I cheer to make it would be Matthew Phillips.... That kid is all heart and a blast to watch. 

12 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

I live in Vic and saw alot of him... Hicketts is a very determined guy and I think he will succeed in the NHL... Also an even smaller comparable I cheer to make it would be Matthew Phillips.... That kid is all heart and a blast to watch. 

I saw Matthew Phillips last year and agree, he was dynamic.I will be watching his career progression with interest.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Those players are few and far between.  

Being 5’7 is a total disadvantage in the NHL.  I don’t know how you could even argue that.   

There are very small handful(pun intended) of people that small in the NHL.

I will say, the league seems to be getting smaller, but 5’7” will never be a normal thing.    

You don’t even see many men walking around the street that short. 

It’s the same deal as Subban.  

I like the kid, and I hope he beats the odds, but I won’t be the least bit surprised if he doesn’t.  

There aren’t a lot of Theo Fluerys’ out there, but it would be pretty awesome. 

Size wasn't the biggest factor in Subban not working out here. 

But I digress I think PP has more in common with Pinball Clemons than Jordan Subban.

• Upvote 3