Sign in to follow this  
Tomato Pajamas

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Number of Finnish players to win the actual Norris = 0

Not saying he won't be a great player but that's hardly an impressive list of winners. Best player to win best Liiga defenseman was Rafalski, and he was 25 when he did it. Then there's Vatanen but beyond that there's no one.

How many won it at 18?

Look at the noise Pettersson has generated because he won a similar award at the same age. The only difference between the two is one is a Canucks prospect and one isn't. 

I'm not trying to guarantee that Heiskanen will be a Norris candidate/winner, but the only thing that makes that look less impressive is blinding homer glasses. 

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Kid is too light to have D game transfer.  So glad we don’t have him, so we have to watch him bustaroo.  Stars suck (is that his team?) and this kid is a Euro player just like Nuke.  How many here loved Nuke?  Where is he now?  That’s two top picks wasted by Dallas.

Is there a Dallas board?  

Alf just stop. Please

• Confused 1

On 30/04/2018 at 10:47 PM, komodo0921 said:

I really hope we get him over here.

This kids got all the talent in the world and could be something really special here. 

It would be really good for his development to get him back onto the smaller ice surface against pros in the "A".

Could see him panning out as a left winger on Horvat's line.

Shinkaruk says hi!

Let's not build yet another small player up before he even gets 20 NHL games under his belt.

• Upvote 1

1. Palmu on his teammate Olli Juolevi, "In playoffs he did a very good job. He started playing better after Christmas." #Canucks

0 replies0 retweets5 likes

Retweet

Palmu : "I am ready for the next step of playing pro hockey in North America. I will have a good summer, take the steps to play in the NHL." #Canucks

0 replies0 retweets2 likes

Retweet

Palmu on winning rookie of the year, "It was a good feeling winning that award. After Christmas it started rolling better and better, I feel good about my season." #Canucks

0 replies0 retweets9 likes

Retweet

Just talked with Petrus Palmu who was named the top rookie in Finland, Palmu tells me that he has been released by TPS to sign with the #Canucks.

1 reply1 retweet10 likes

Retweet

Definitely excited to hear about his release and him coming over to north america next fall and competing hard and helping Utica out! More propsects over here practicing and playing with other fellow future Canucks the better!!

Congrats, now just to make it officical with his ELC signing!

I don't get why some people bring up Heiskanen as if he's a reminder of Juolevi's list of faults and a terrible choice by Benning.  He's a different player, picked in a different year, with a higher pick that the Canucks never had the opportunity to select.  He had a better year than Juolevi, good for him.  So did Rasmus Dahlin, I bet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Shinkaruk says hi!

Let's not build yet another small player up before he even gets 20 NHL games under his belt.

Palmu and Shinkaruk are NOTHING alike.  Palmu is only "smallish" in height; he is a tank compared to the likes of Point, Gourde, Marner, Bratt, etc.  They do not even play the same style of game.  If this kid even becomes an AHL regular that is a huge win for a 6th round pick, especially so soon after the draft.

I figured he'd be there a couple years before coming over to see if he can translate his game to the pro level against men, but clearly he's NA pro-ready already.  His GM was right.  Amazing to think a 6th round guy could be knocking at the door after only a year post-draft.  Jesper Bratt is a fairly direct comparable -- 5'10 175, played in Europe his D+1 (not in the SEL but Allsvenskan), and also a 6th rounder.  Petrus had a higher PPG than Bratt as well, and consider that Bratt put up more PPG this year with the Devils than with AIK.  Will be great to have him reunited with his roomie Gadjovich only a year later, too.

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Palmu and Shinkaruk are NOTHING alike.  Palmu is only "smallish" in height; he is a tank compared to the likes of Point, Gourde, Marner, Bratt, etc.  They do not even play the same style of game.  If this kid even becomes an AHL regular that is a huge win for a 6th round pick, especially so soon after the draft.

I figured he'd be there a couple years before coming over to see if he can translate his game to the pro level against men, but clearly he's NA pro-ready already.  His GM was right.  Amazing to think a 6th round guy could be knocking at the door after only a year post-draft.  Jesper Bratt is a fairly direct comparable -- 5'10 175, played in Europe his D+1 (not in the SEL but Allsvenskan), and also a 6th rounder.  Petrus had a higher PPG than Bratt as well, and consider that Bratt put up more PPG this year with the Devils than with AIK.  Will be great to have him reunited with his roomie Gadjovich only a year later, too.

Agree and I look forward to seeing Palmu play in the AHL next season.  But I also agree with the point that @alfstonker was trying to make.  Be patient with these kids and let them develop.  The post that he was replying to had Palmu playing on the same line as Horvat which is pure craziness.  

Edited by UticaHockey

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Agree and I look forward to seeing Palmu play in the AHL next season.  But I also agree with the point that @alfstonker was trying to make.  Be patient with these kids and let them develop.  The post that he was replying to had Palmu playing on the same line as Horvat which is pure craziness.  

Maybe Petrus is like some of the smaller guys to come into the league over the last few seasons though?  Maybe he can make the jump?  He's got the skill, that's for sure.  He could be one of those perimeter little guys, who collect a ton of assists.  Playing him with Bo could be a good move.

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Alf just stop. Please

I love our team, and hate the other teams.  If posters will attack our guys here (CANUCK'S DOT COM) then I will stick up for our boys, and critique the other teams' players.

This is a Canuck's board, no?

OJ is going to be a better NHL Dman than Hiskanen.  OJ has an NHL body.  The other guys is a skinny Smurf.  He will do nothing here!!!!!!!  

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

That is your opinion HW. I beg to differ. Anyway I was actually referring to general size and style and the way this fanbase gets carried away sometimes. He's not even in the AHL yet.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Petrus is like some of the smaller guys to come into the league over the last few seasons though?  Maybe he can make the jump?  He's got the skill, that's for sure.  He could be one of those perimeter little guys, who collect a ton of assists.  Playing him with Bo could be a good move.

Like who. You have said all that without giving a couple of  5'-7" 178lbs examples.

Maybe he will manage to get into the NHL but at present there is a long way to go. It's not like putting on more weight will help him (unless he grows a bit) 

People on here are so over the top all the time instead of waiting a while to see if a player has what it takes to overcome the challenges of the NHL. All the players we draft, trade and sign should be with a view to making a splash in the SC. As we have seen it takes a special type of player and mentality to do that.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I love our team, and hate the other teams.  If posters will attack our guys here (CANUCK'S DOT COM) then I will stick up for our boys, and critique the other teams' players.

This is a Canuck's board, no?

OJ is going to be a better NHL Dman than Hiskanen.  OJ has an NHL body.  The other guys is a skinny Smurf.  He will do nothing here!!!!!!!  

Alf, get back on your meds.

• Haha 1

I like Palmu a lot.  Can't wait to see what the fire hydrant can do at camp.  But he realistically needs a couple years in Utica and may never be able to translate to the NHL.  He will be fun to watch either way though.  

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Shinkaruk says hi!

It appears we may be finding out next season.

He's free to sign in North America.

A lot of people underestimate this guy.

The comparison to Shinkaruk is inaccurate. Theo Fleury may be closer.

He may be 5'7", but he is no marshmallow. He is tenacious and has little fear about getting his nose dirty.

I've said it before; 180 lbs on a 5'7" frame is a hell of a thing. His low center of gravity, combined with his strength gives him the ability to hit bigger players with effectiveness.

If we have are to have a small player. I want to see Palmu be that player.  

Is he a lock to make the NHL?

Obviously not, but his game is tailor-made for the top-six and, if he develops to NHL standards, I, totally see him matching up well with Bo.

I believe he will surprise.

Edited by komodo0921
  • Hydration 1

49 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Like who. You have said all that without giving a couple of  5'-7" 178lbs examples.

Maybe he will manage to get into the NHL but at present there is a long way to go. It's not like putting on more weight will help him (unless he grows a bit) 

People on here are so over the top all the time instead of waiting a while to see if a player has what it takes to overcome the challenges of the NHL. All the players we draft, trade and sign should be with a view to making a splash in the SC. As we have seen it takes a special type of player and mentality to do that.

How much does Gudreau weigh?  How about Ehlers?  There is a growing number of lighter guys in the league now, who play on the outside racking up assists.  Maybe Palmu could fill that role with us?

How big was Cliff Ronning?  Only 1 inch taller than Palmu.  You never know, will be exciting to see him play with Utica and see what he can do and who he plays with.  Nice to see this crop of rookies coming into Utica next season.

Viktor Arviddson - 5'9 - 180 lbs

Brayden Point - 5'10  - 166 lbs

Brad Marchand - 5'9 - 181 lbs

Jonathan Marchessault - 5'9 - 174 lbs

Mathieu Perreault - 5'10 - 188 lbs

The league has changed and there is a place for small gritty skilled forwards.  I like Palmu and I like his confidence. 

Edited by Borvat
  • Hydration 2

4 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Viktor Arviddson - 5'9 - 180 lbs

Brayden Point - 5'10  - 166 lbs

Brad Marchand - 5'9 - 181 lbs

Jonathan Marchessault - 5'9 - 174 lbs

Mathieu Perreault - 5'10 - 188 lbs

The league has changed and there is a place for small gritty skilled forwards.  I like Palmu and I like his confidence. 

The rat is only 5ft9 lol....  lol I never knew, thought he was at least 6ft hah... I'm impressed damn, that's my low point of the day when I am impressed with Marchands numbers and finding out about how tall he is lol

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon