The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Palmu and Shinkaruk are NOTHING alike.  Palmu is only "smallish" in height; he is a tank compared to the likes of Point, Gourde, Marner, Bratt, etc.  They do not even play the same style of game.  If this kid even becomes an AHL regular that is a huge win for a 6th round pick, especially so soon after the draft.

I figured he'd be there a couple years before coming over to see if he can translate his game to the pro level against men, but clearly he's NA pro-ready already.  His GM was right.  Amazing to think a 6th round guy could be knocking at the door after only a year post-draft.  Jesper Bratt is a fairly direct comparable -- 5'10 175, played in Europe his D+1 (not in the SEL but Allsvenskan), and also a 6th rounder.  Petrus had a higher PPG than Bratt as well, and consider that Bratt put up more PPG this year with the Devils than with AIK.  Will be great to have him reunited with his roomie Gadjovich only a year later, too.

Agree and I look forward to seeing Palmu play in the AHL next season.  But I also agree with the point that @alfstonker was trying to make.  Be patient with these kids and let them develop.  The post that he was replying to had Palmu playing on the same line as Horvat which is pure craziness.  

Edited by UticaHockey

3 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Agree and I look forward to seeing Palmu play in the AHL next season.  But I also agree with the point that @alfstonker was trying to make.  Be patient with these kids and let them develop.  The post that he was replying to had Palmu playing on the same line as Horvat which is pure craziness.  

Maybe Petrus is like some of the smaller guys to come into the league over the last few seasons though?  Maybe he can make the jump?  He's got the skill, that's for sure.  He could be one of those perimeter little guys, who collect a ton of assists.  Playing him with Bo could be a good move.

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Alf just stop. Please

I love our team, and hate the other teams.  If posters will attack our guys here (CANUCK'S DOT COM) then I will stick up for our boys, and critique the other teams' players.

This is a Canuck's board, no?

OJ is going to be a better NHL Dman than Hiskanen.  OJ has an NHL body.  The other guys is a skinny Smurf.  He will do nothing here!!!!!!!  

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Palmu and Shinkaruk are NOTHING alike.  Palmu is only "smallish" in height; he is a tank compared to the likes of Point, Gourde, Marner, Bratt, etc.  They do not even play the same style of game.  If this kid even becomes an AHL regular that is a huge win for a 6th round pick, especially so soon after the draft.

I figured he'd be there a couple years before coming over to see if he can translate his game to the pro level against men, but clearly he's NA pro-ready already.  His GM was right.  Amazing to think a 6th round guy could be knocking at the door after only a year post-draft.  Jesper Bratt is a fairly direct comparable -- 5'10 175, played in Europe his D+1 (not in the SEL but Allsvenskan), and also a 6th rounder.  Petrus had a higher PPG than Bratt as well, and consider that Bratt put up more PPG this year with the Devils than with AIK.  Will be great to have him reunited with his roomie Gadjovich only a year later, too.

That is your opinion HW. I beg to differ. Anyway I was actually referring to general size and style and the way this fanbase gets carried away sometimes. He's not even in the AHL yet.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Petrus is like some of the smaller guys to come into the league over the last few seasons though?  Maybe he can make the jump?  He's got the skill, that's for sure.  He could be one of those perimeter little guys, who collect a ton of assists.  Playing him with Bo could be a good move.

Like who. You have said all that without giving a couple of  5'-7" 178lbs examples.

Maybe he will manage to get into the NHL but at present there is a long way to go. It's not like putting on more weight will help him (unless he grows a bit) 

People on here are so over the top all the time instead of waiting a while to see if a player has what it takes to overcome the challenges of the NHL. All the players we draft, trade and sign should be with a view to making a splash in the SC. As we have seen it takes a special type of player and mentality to do that.

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I love our team, and hate the other teams.  If posters will attack our guys here (CANUCK'S DOT COM) then I will stick up for our boys, and critique the other teams' players.

This is a Canuck's board, no?

OJ is going to be a better NHL Dman than Hiskanen.  OJ has an NHL body.  The other guys is a skinny Smurf.  He will do nothing here!!!!!!!  

Alf, get back on your meds.

• Haha 1

I like Palmu a lot.  Can't wait to see what the fire hydrant can do at camp.  But he realistically needs a couple years in Utica and may never be able to translate to the NHL.  He will be fun to watch either way though.  

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Shinkaruk says hi!

Let's not build yet another small player up before he even gets 20 NHL games under his belt.

It appears we may be finding out next season.

He's free to sign in North America.

A lot of people underestimate this guy.

The comparison to Shinkaruk is inaccurate. Theo Fleury may be closer.

He may be 5'7", but he is no marshmallow. He is tenacious and has little fear about getting his nose dirty.

I've said it before; 180 lbs on a 5'7" frame is a hell of a thing. His low center of gravity, combined with his strength gives him the ability to hit bigger players with effectiveness.

If we have are to have a small player. I want to see Palmu be that player.  

Is he a lock to make the NHL?

Obviously not, but his game is tailor-made for the top-six and, if he develops to NHL standards, I, totally see him matching up well with Bo.

I believe he will surprise.

Edited by komodo0921
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Like who. You have said all that without giving a couple of  5'-7" 178lbs examples.

Maybe he will manage to get into the NHL but at present there is a long way to go. It's not like putting on more weight will help him (unless he grows a bit) 

People on here are so over the top all the time instead of waiting a while to see if a player has what it takes to overcome the challenges of the NHL. All the players we draft, trade and sign should be with a view to making a splash in the SC. As we have seen it takes a special type of player and mentality to do that.

How much does Gudreau weigh?  How about Ehlers?  There is a growing number of lighter guys in the league now, who play on the outside racking up assists.  Maybe Palmu could fill that role with us?

Viktor Arviddson - 5'9 - 180 lbs

Brayden Point - 5'10  - 166 lbs

Brad Marchand - 5'9 - 181 lbs

Jonathan Marchessault - 5'9 - 174 lbs

Mathieu Perreault - 5'10 - 188 lbs

The league has changed and there is a place for small gritty skilled forwards.  I like Palmu and I like his confidence. 

Edited by Borvat
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Viktor Arviddson - 5'9 - 180 lbs

Brayden Point - 5'10  - 166 lbs

Brad Marchand - 5'9 - 181 lbs

Jonathan Marchessault - 5'9 - 174 lbs

Mathieu Perreault - 5'10 - 188 lbs

The league has changed and there is a place for small gritty skilled forwards.  I like Palmu and I like his confidence. 

The rat is only 5ft9 lol....  lol I never knew, thought he was at least 6ft hah... I'm impressed damn, that's my low point of the day when I am impressed with Marchands numbers and finding out about how tall he is lol

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon

20 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Philip Larsen? I think he won Danish defenseman of the year in 13/14. ;) 

He was also the top scoring D in KHL this past year.

As for Heiskanen, I think he’s gonna be really good in the NHL. But you could be right, and his skills might fail to translate. I don’t really see it happening but I don’t have a crystal ball.

In any case, I don’t really care too much about Juolevi vs Heiskanen. I know some people want OJ to be the better of those two. Maybe he will be, but I’m not betting on it at this point. And that’s fine by me.

I just want OJ to be good for us. I’m not too interested in what other teams’ prospects accomplish (other than more stars making a better NHL product). Heiskanen can be a perennial Norris winner and that still won’t affect my feelings on Juolevi. I think he’s gonna be really good for Vancouver.

Palmu thread but I would take Heiskanen on my team any day.   Having him and OJ to work with as prospects would be great!   OJ outplayed him at WJC and in playoffs but overall on the year, I can see how Heisky could have been seen as most "consistent" and certainly is more offensively minded while OJ is more defensively responsible.     

I don't think they are direct comparables and would very much like both if that was possible.    In my mind, both blow away the likes the Sergachev and others people like to bring into such discussions.

18 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Do they have a prospect pool rank? I’m curious to where we sit, we got to be number 1 for goalies and gotta be a top 5 for forwards ,overall we must be a top 5 prospect pool in the nhl 

Probably see updated rankings after the draft ;)

One thing that's important to remember is Palmu is 20 years old, not 19. He was drafted in his 2nd year of eligibility. This was his draft +2 year. 

Honestly, I'd be somewhat hesitant to give him an ELC. If it was only 2 years then sure, but 3 years might be too long. If we could get him on an AHL deal for 1-2 years with some perks from Benning ($$$), I think I'd prefer that. I wouldn't be too upset if he got one though. 

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

That is your opinion HW. I beg to differ. Anyway I was actually referring to general size and style and the way this fanbase gets carried away sometimes.

His size is not opinion, and you've been panicking over him before there was any carrying-away.  His "general size" is fire hydrant-like.  Yet in the 2018 draft thread...

9 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Well Denisenko is certainly truculent, in fact one scouting report I read said he was taking bad penalties. :lol: However I must admit he is no bruiser but if he developed physically to say 190lbs I would say he is not going to be a shrinking violet either, he is pretty fiery. It is his stellar talent that attracts me. I would go out on a limb and say if we were somehow to land him, he would be the most skilful player we would have on our books, including Pettersson.

"A creative player with the puck who can dart in and out of the lanes with expert edgework, quick acceleration and creative lines. Slight stature but enjoys engaging. Lack of exposure may see him slide on draft day, but it won’t be due to a lack of skill"